1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We will be interviewing Criterion soon. Click here for details on how you can submit a question for us to ask.
    Dismiss Notice

WAR OF THE WORLDS ( 1953) fully restored 4K version with extras now on iTunes !

Discussion in 'Streaming and Digital Media' started by Ken Koc, Oct 2, 2018.

1. Tino

Tino Executive Producer
    Supporter

Valentino
    How do you know that? That IMDb article disputes your opinion.

2. William Kucharski

William Kucharski Auditioning

William Kucharski
    I have ears.

If this is simply a cleanup of the original stems, then the dialogue and music must have been recorded at 1 7/8 IPS.

It's still jarring and makes it impossible for at least me to view.

As an aside, the first release of the restoration of Vertigo had the same problem; the initial gunshots as Scotty runs across the roof were modern and the sound quality did not match the rolled off quality of the dialogue and music in the film, making them stand out horribly.

They seem to have been re-EQed in more recent home video releases to better fit with the sound quality of the balance of the elements.

3. Tino

Tino Executive Producer
    Supporter

Valentino
    No need to be snarky.

So it’s obviously your opinion and that’s fine.

4. William Kucharski

William Kucharski
    I'm sorry, I didn't mean that to be snarky.

It's just that the effects are so clearly different in quality from the originals that it's hard to believe they just cleaned them up, but it's always possible.

It's just a question of if they did, why the dialogue and music stems continue to be very optical track in quality, and it may simply be a lack of good quality elements for those.

It however remains distracting.

5. Tino

Tino Executive Producer
    Supporter

Valentino
    No worries. It’s understandable from your point of view why you’re distracted.

By the way, Welcome to the forum. ;)

6. William Kucharski

William Kucharski
    Thanks, and thanks for understanding.

Tino likes this.
  7. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    I feel the same. I have enjoyed the movie down through the years, but I'm no expert on what it's supposed to look or sound like. I couldn't be happier with my 4K streaming version.

Robert Crawford and Tino like this.
  8. Message #208 of 215 Apr 18, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2019
    BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
    It's things like this that baffle me. People get up in arms if the image is modified but praise adulterations to audio tracks so they can show off their 5.1 system or because they want a "modern" sound. I'm one of those who wants the original mono/stereo mix. If not as the default then at least as an option. I find "modern" audio mixes to be horrible and distracting. They tend to emphasize music and sound effects over dialogue and that's not a good thing.

The more I read about this release the more I'm happy with my DVD. Now... if they see fit to release it on BR and provide the original audio as an option, we'll talk (or rather order a copy day 1).

9. Carabimero

Carabimero Producer
    Supporter

Alan
    Yes, and these audio creations NEVER EXISTED IN THE FIRST PLACE. The 4K stream, at least for the most part, is intrinsically better than the 480 because it shows more of the information from the negative. But the sound mix is not intrinsically better, because it never existed until it was contrived for this release. Some may like it more, but it's not because it's intrinsically better. It's just different and, IMO, it doesn't jibe with how the original creators mixed their movie.

10. Worth

Worth Cinematographer

Nick Dobbs
    I disagree - newer mixes bury the music just as much as the dialogue.

11. Carabimero

Carabimero Producer
    Supporter

Alan
    Newer mixes also have a tendency to either be incredibly loud during action sequences (when they need restraint) and then deep in the mud during dialogue, when it's a good idea for the audience to hear the characters. I finally gave up and got a good pair of Bose headphones so I didn't have to be constantly riding the volume. IMO this style of mixing has become fashionable, and it's a detriment to basic enjoyment. I'm to the point where I actively resent it.

Jeff Adkins, Mrs. Carab and BobO'Link like this.
  12. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
    Exactly. I, too, resent that style of audio mix, especially at home. It's one of the reasons I no longer see movies in the theater. At least at home I can somewhat compensate by setting at a "reasonable" level (one that can't be easily heard in the next room) for the too-loud segments and turn on SDH/CC to know what's being said. I shouldn't have to and don't understand why this is "good." I worked in audio/video production for decades and know what a "good" mix should sound like.

Doug Wallen and Carabimero like this.
  13. Carabimero

Carabimero Producer
    Supporter

Alan
    I think they believe it's the equivalent of 16x9 visually. But 16x9 isn't any better intrinsically than 4x3. It's just different.

For me, the difference is, I can still see the details of a movie in 16x9. But with some of these mixes, I can't hear what's going on. At first I thought it was me, my hearing, but when I got checked, my hearing is better than average at most frequencies. So I guess it's something they've convinced themselves they have to do, the audio conceit of 16x9.

Doug Wallen, Mrs. Carab and BobO'Link like this.
  14. William Kucharski

William Kucharski
    Having seen it on every home video format available, including the first widescreen version available on LaserDisc, as well as theatrically at the Stanford Theater in Palo Alto, I know what the film is supposed to sound like, and the newly sweetened effects just instantly take me out of the film.

15. Ryan Bredahl

Ryan Bredahl Auditioning

Ryan Bredahl
    I made an account just to reply to this. This is not true. The 88 series used the original 53 sound effects. You can even hear Ann Robinson’s scream left in the sound of the heat Ray when it’s used.