1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We will be interviewing Criterion soon. Click here for details on how you can submit a question for us to ask.
    Dismiss Notice

WAR OF THE WORLDS ( 1953) fully restored 4K version with extras now on iTunes !

Discussion in 'Streaming and Digital Media' started by Ken Koc, Oct 2, 2018.

1. Message #181 of 214 Apr 17, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2019
    William Kucharski

William Kucharski Auditioning

William Kucharski
    I'm surprised no one has yet mentioned how unwatchable this version is, at least for me.

Why? They redid most if not all of the sound effects, and it's completely jarring as the new effects are obviously digitally recorded high-fidelity versions where the dialogue and music tracks remain the original, frequency limited versions.

Truly horrible, I shut it off when I couldn't deal with the sound of the initial cylinder "unscrewing."

You can hear what I mean in the sound of the rocks falling here and comparing it to the dialogue immediately following:

Blimpoy06 likes this.
  2. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Lead Actor
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    Since I had already planned on watching two 4K blu-rays and just got the Apple TV set up yesterday. I installed the Vudu and Movies Anywhere app and just watched it just to check picture and sound quality. I have not watched anything from iTunes yet and the only video content I ever purchased was two seasons of Battlestar Galactica. And since I just transferred from a temp to working for the company I am waiting for my first check to be deposited then I will consider getting something on iTunes. But I have not yet watched anything on iTunes since setting it up yesterday. I registered some 4K discs yesterday and one of them gave me the option to select iTunes but since most of what I have registered is on Vudu so far I just selected that. Any recommendations on must have apps for the Apple TV beyond Vudu and Movies Anywhere. I might just stick with renting for awhile.

3. Message #183 of 214 Apr 17, 2019
    Cranston37

Cranston37 Screenwriter

Dave, remember that as long as it's something other than from Paramount or MGM, whatever you have on Vudu will transfer to iTunes and vice versa through MA, irregardless of where you purchased or redeemed the movie, so you can try iTunes without having to make an additional purchase. I echo what others say that iTunes by far is the best picture quality.

Also, instead of renting you need to get into the code buying and disc to digital game - you can own cheaper than renting!

4. Tino

Tino Executive Producer
    Supporter

Valentino
    Do you know this for a fact or is it just your opinion? And if you say it’s a fact can you provide a link substantiating that claim?

5. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Lead Actor
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    I already have done the disc to digital since I am redeeming my codes. But I am guessing you mean code purchasing from those selling there digital codes. The only way to actually own is to purchase physical media and to be honest you actually do not own anything digital. I will try iTunes and need to see if my original purchase of two seasons of the newer Battlestar Galactica is still on iTunes.

6. Carabimero

Carabimero Producer
    Supporter

Alan
    Recently I took the highly compressed 4K stream, laid the mix from the DVD over it and mastered it to a Blu ray. That made it watchable to me, even though there are still serious artifacts in it, it's likely the best they'll ever be sans an official disc release.

7. Message #187 of 214 Apr 17, 2019
    Cranston37

Cranston37 Screenwriter

Disc to Digital is not the same as redeeming codes. D2D is a way to get a digital copy of a movie you own on disc that did not come with a code. 90% of my 2,000 title collection came from doing that and it's a cheaper option than renting.

https://www.vudu.com/content/in_mobile_disc_to_digital_mobile.html

I'm not trying to get you into ownership.

You said "I might just stick with renting for awhile." What I'm saying is if all you want is a one time viewing of a movie, why not purchase a digital code for $2 and watch it one time, rather than renting it for $6? As a bonus, it will stay in your account whether you want to think of that as ownership or not.

As I said earlier, if your iTunes is connected to MA, all of your non-Paramount and MGM movies will be there for trying iTunes, not just Battlestar Galactica.

8. Mark-P

Mark-P Producer

Mark Probst
    You mentioned in your initial post that you were using your Movies Anywhere app on Apple TV. Once you link your iTunes account to Movies Anywhere you will see your MA content transfer to iTunes, hence the "anywhere". :D

Josh Steinberg likes this.
  9. Gary16

Gary16 Screenwriter

Gary
    From IMDb:
    The War of the Worlds
    Paramount Pictures always wanted to put out a stereo version of The War of the Worlds (1953) on home video, but couldn't do so because the only archival sound elements it did not have from the film were the ones of the Martian ships. Luckily, the makers of the War of the Worlds (1988) television series had to recreate the sounds of the Martian warships from scratch for the series, which Paramount used to finally create its stereo version of the science-fiction classic.

Blimpoy06 likes this.
  10. Tino

Tino Executive Producer
    Supporter

Valentino
    Yeah I knew that about the Martian ships. That doesn’t address the question I asked. In particular this quote

“ They redid most if not all of the sound effects, and it's completely jarring as the new effects are obviously digitally recorded high-fidelity versions where the dialogue and music tracks remain the original, frequency limited versions.”

11. Gary16

Gary16 Screenwriter

Gary
    The IMDb item says that the only element they did NOT have was the Martian ships.

12. Tino

Tino Executive Producer
    Supporter

Valentino
    Sorry but I’m missing your point.

13. Gary16

Gary16 Screenwriter

Gary
    I thought you were questioning the comment that claimed they redid most if not all of the sound effects. This says they did not.

Tino likes this.
  14. Tino

Tino Executive Producer
    Supporter

Valentino
    Ah. Gotcha. So you’re agreeing with me in questioning that comment.

15. Gary16

Gary16 Screenwriter

Gary
    Yes!

Tino likes this.
  16. dpippel

dpippel HTF Premium Member
    Supporter

Doug
    Whew!

Tino and Gary16 like this.
  17. Carabimero

Carabimero Producer
    Supporter

Alan
    My problem with the mix wasn't that they redid the sound effects, because they didn't, for the most part. But they seemed to have sweetened the effects and locals far more than the dialogue, so I agree there is a gap in my perceived fidelity. My biggest problem is how far forward they moved some sound effects and how far backwards they moved others. If I had grown up with that kind of separation of fidelity and distance, I probably wouldn't have batted an eye. But it's almost night and day to what I am used to. The 4K mix is on my BD on audio channel 2, but the DVD mix is the default.

BobO'Link likes this.
  18. William Kucharski

William Kucharski
    Listen to the YouTube clip I posted earlier. All of the effects obviously sound cleaner, crisper and much more high fidelity than the dialogue or music. You can hear it clearly as the rocks are falling off the cylinder - the sound clearly sounds like 2018, not 1953.

This isn't just a clean-up of the original stems; if you need to, compare it to the DVD or LaserDisc, if you have access.

19. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    The only thing I know is that I'm extremely happy with my 4K/Dolby Vision stream. If others are not happy then so be it.

20. William Kucharski

William Kucharski
    If you're not extremely sensitive to sound quality and/or very familiar with the original, it may not matter.

Personally I'm thankful I have the DVD copy to fall back on because I can't watch and enjoy it the way it is now, rather like the very fake 5.1 surround mix done on the Blu-ray and 4K versions of the Peanuts holiday specials.

BobO'Link likes this.