What's new

WAR OF THE WORLDS ( 1953) fully restored 4K version with extras now on iTunes ! (1 Viewer)

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Woo-hoo. I was disappointed when I originally bought it on iTunes because it was mono. Now that’s been corrected along with removing all the dirt specks!

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
How much is it? I’m on vacation and can’t load the store page from here, but may spring for it when I get home..

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Awesome news! So if I've already purchased this title is the previous version automatically replaced with the new one, or do I have to buy it again?

Nevermind - answered my own question. My copy was automatically upgraded.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Here's some more about that HD version of "The War of the Worlds" available on iTunes for $6.99 from Jeff Well's Blog.

Home Theatre Forum fellows have noted that a “restored HD” version of George Pal‘s War of the Worlds(’53) is now streamable on iTunes. It’s said to be a marked improvement over the HD version that’s been streaming since ’11 or thereabouts, especially with the wires that once held up the Martian attack ships now digitally removed.

In fact a Paramount Home Video spokesperson told me today that the HTF guys are actually viewing a 4K version, “remastered and restored over the past year.” She said the new restoration is only being offered in 4K (i.e., not in 1080p HD or SD) and “only digitally for now, starting on iTunes then rolling out to other platforms that offer 4K.”

http://hollywood-elsewhere.com/2018/10/4k-restored-remastered-war-of-the-worlds-on-itunes-for-now/

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
Hmmmm It could have been in 4K?

4K Restored & Remastered “War of the Worlds” On iTunes…For Now
Home Theatre Forum fellows have noted that a “restored HD” version of George Pal‘s War of the Worlds (’53) is now streamable on iTunes. It’s said to be a marked improvement over the HD version that’s been streaming since ’11 or thereabouts, especially with the wires that once held up the Martian attack ships now digitally removed.

In fact a Paramount Home Video spokesperson told me today that the HTF guys are actually viewing a 4K version, “remastered and restored over the past year.” She said the new restoration is only being offered in 4K (i.e., not in 1080p HD or SD) and “only digitally for now, starting on iTunes then rolling out to other platforms that offer 4K.”

She said that Amazon “doesn’t offer 4K at this time,” but of course she’s mistaken about that. I’m speaking as a very gratified owner of a beautiful Amazon 4K streaming version of Lawrence of Arabia. Many Amazon customers, I’m sure, would love to stream this new War of the Worlds.

The spokesperson also said there are “no plans” for a 4K or 1080p Bluray release. Physical media…stake through the heart.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks