What's new

Press Release PHE Press Release: War of the Worlds (1953) (4k UHD) / When Worlds Collide (1951) (Blu-ray) Limited Edition (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
319771_front.jpg

THE WAR OF THE WORLDS and WHEN WORLDS COLLIDE arrive on September 27, 2022 as a double feature in the collectible Paramount Presents line!

Enjoy two of the most iconic science fiction epics in one limited-edition package: THE WAR OF THE WORLDS makes its 4K Ultra HD debut and is accompanied by WHEN WORLDS COLLIDE for the first time on Blu-ray™.

The 1953 adaptation of H.G. Wells’ acclaimed novel, THE WAR OF THE WORLDS was nominated for three Academy Awards® and won for Best Special Effects. Experience the genre-defining Technicolor classic fully remastered in eye-popping 4K Ultra HD for the first time. The disc also includes access to a digital copy of the film, the infamous 1938 radio broadcast of War of the Worlds narrated by Orson Welles, and more. Bonus content is detailed below:

• Commentary by actors Ann Robinson and Gene Barry
  • Commentary by film director Joe Dante, film historian Bob Burns, and Bill Warren, author of Keep Watching The Skies!
  • The Sky Is Falling: Making The War of the Worlds
  • H.G. Wells: The Father of Science Fiction
  • The Mercury Theatre On The Air presents The War of the Worlds radio broadcast
  • Original Theatrical Trailer

1951’s WHEN WORLDS COLLIDE was nominated for two Academy Awards and won for Best Special Effects. Both this film and THE WAR OF THE WORLDSwere produced by George Pal, a Hungarian-American animator, director, and producer who was a leading figure in sci-fi filmmaking. Experience this thrilling classic remastered from the original film elements and on Blu-ray for the first time ever. The disc includes access to a digital copy of the film, as well as the theatrical trailer.

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I immediately preordered this 4K release despite it currently being at full MSRP and some people having misgivings about how Paramount has handled classic films in the 4K format.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Is this coming from Paramount as Criterion just released War of The Worlds back in 2020.
This is a Paramount release!

• Media Format ‏ : ‎ 4K
  • Release date ‏ : ‎ September 27, 2022
  • Actors ‏ : ‎ Gene Barry, Richard Derr, Ann Robinson
  • Studio ‏ : ‎ PARAMOUNT
  • ASIN ‏ : ‎ B0B4SPLVDS
  • Number of discs ‏ : ‎ 2

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Amazon's product description sounds like only War of the Worlds is 4K with When Worlds Collide on BR:

Two of the most iconic Science Fiction epics come to Paramount Presents in this out-of-this-world limited-edition double feature from producer George Pal. Making its 4K UHD debut, WAR OF THE WORLDS is an Oscar winning adaptation of the chilling H.G. Wells novel. Then, get ready for impending disaster, when a runaway star signals the destruction of Earth in WHEN WORLDS COLLIDE, included on Blu-ray remastered from the original film elements.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Amazon's product description sounds like only War of the Worlds is 4K with When Worlds Collide on BR:
I'm still keeping my preorder! Also, I'm glad it's coming from Paramount which means When Worlds Collide iTunes stream will be upgraded which I purchased four years ago for $4.99.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Not having 4K equipment and no intentions to move to that format (outside equipment replacements when something fails) I'm mostly hoping this portends a separate release from Paramount for When Worlds Collide (I already have the Criterion BR for WotW). I've looked at the [Imprint] release of that one and the price kind of keeps me away (I like the film - just not that much). With this double-feature from Paramount I expect the price for both will be the same or less, at some point, than the [Imprint], for just that single title, and that would be an acceptable alternative.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Not having 4K equipment and no intentions to move to that format (outside equipment replacements when something fails) I'm mostly hoping this portends a separate release from Paramount for When Worlds Collide (I already have the Criterion BR for WotW). I've looked at the [Imprint] release of that one and the price kind of keeps me away (I like the film - just not that much). With this double-feature from Paramount I expect the price for both will be the same or less, at some point, than the [Imprint], for just that single title, and that would be an acceptable alternative.
I don't think we're going to get a separate release for When Worlds Collide. Not with the way they packaged two different formats into one release.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I don't think we're going to get a separate release for When Worlds Collide. Not with the way they packaged two different formats into one release.
That's my thinking as well. I'm mostly hoping for a sale price lower than Imprint's WWC stand-alone release. At that point, I'll jump on it. I'm also hoping for a better transfer than Imprint's release - while reviews say it's pretty good it also sounds like it has some minor issues that, hopefully, Paramount will fix for their release.

Kent K H

Supporting Actor
I'm pretty butt-hurt about this coming out so soon after the Criterion blu ray, though getting a movie I don't have does offer a bit of salve.

Just feels like War of the Worlds could have been put off to become one of C's initial 4K offerings and everyone would have been over the moon.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
I'm pretty butt-hurt about this coming out so soon after the Criterion blu ray, though getting a movie I don't have does offer a bit of salve.

Just feels like War of the Worlds could have been put off to become one of C's initial 4K offerings and everyone would have been over the moon.

This Paramount release might not be the same print as Criterion's from 2020. This release is just a "cleaning house"/making a quick buck outing, it's not going to have all the bells and whistles that Criterion has.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This Paramount release might not be the same print as Criterion's from 2020. This release is just a "cleaning house"/making a quick buck outing, it's not going to have all the bells and whistles that Criterion has.
There is little doubt in my mind that this Paramount 4K release is derived from the same 4K scan used for the Criterion Blu-ray.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Paramount did this 4K scan. It was in 4K/Dolby Vision on iTunes and Vudu for several months before Criterion released that Blu-ray on 07-07-20.

Nearly two years, in fact - they released the 4K version in Sept or Oct 2017 - I was out of the country at the time so I couldn’t log in to buy it, and Tino was kind enough to gift it to me so that i could lock in a copy at the low price it was being offered at. One of those things I’m not likely to forget :)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Nearly two years, in fact - they released the 4K version in Sept or Oct 2017 - I was out of the country at the time so I couldn’t log in to buy it, and Tino was kind enough to gift it to me so that i could lock in a copy at the low price it was being offered at. One of those things I’m not likely to forget :)
Yeah, I was just coming to update my post as I had to look up when that 4K upgrade happened. I knew it was a long time, but forgot how long it actually was. It was actually October, 2018. Here is the thread:

Arthur Powell

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Arthur
I'm with you. I'm happy with my Criterion edition of The War of the Worlds, and I have no interest in 4K UHD. What I am interested in would be a stand-alone blu of When World Collides for under twenty dollars. I'm not paying an inflated price due to the inclusion of something that would only be useful for me as a drink coaster. If this particular set dips to or below the twenty dollar mark, I'll pick it up as as that would be, as you say, an acceptable alternative. Until then I'll simply make due with the DVD.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
The 4K streaming version of WotW is interesting, but I find the color grading on the Criterion Blu-ray to be much more pleasing and, I would bet, closer to how the film was intended to look. I'm happy to have both, however. :) I wonder how this physical 4K release will differ, if at all.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The 4K streaming version of WotW is interesting, but I find the color grading on the Criterion Blu-ray to be much more pleasing and, I would bet, closer to how the film was intended to look. I'm happy to have both, however. :) I wonder how this physical 4K release will differ, if at all.
I think this will be another controversal Paramount release with some people.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks