War of the Roses SE

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Jason Bell, Aug 13, 2003.

1. Jason Bell

Jason Bell Stunt Coordinator

I just purchased this DVD and I cant believe how awful the picture is. The movie is very very soft looking to the point of looking blurry. I actually get a headache because I feel like my eyes are constantly trying to refocus. I never saw this movie in the theatres. Does anyone else have this DVD and is this just the way it is or did I just get a defective disk?

2. Nicholas Vargo

Nicholas Vargo Second Unit

Nicholas Vargo
    You know something, I've owned this DVD since about the day it came out and I have to admit, I thought the movie being enhanced by THX will help the quality. But I was surprised by how soft the picture was and how weak it was. But Jason, I never ever thought that the transfer was blurry. It is easily the best the movie has looked on home video, but the problem is it seems that THX messed with the movie's transfer rather than improved it. I never thought the DVD transfer was blurry, but than again, if you have a widescreen TV, it might look like that, but I just have an regular 4:3 Emerson TV from the 1980s and it looks just fine on it, despite the fact that I thought the transfer was one of THX's worst to date. I would imagine it is what it is supposed to look like. It might be the fact that THX tampered with it too much, so it is more their fault than Fox. But that's just me. I don't know if that helps, but I hope it does.

3. Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott Lead Actor

i thought it looked great.
    i was projecting on a 65" wide screen.
    didn't look soft to me at all.
    in fact, i owned the laserdisc boxed set that cost about $70 new, and the dvd @ $15 ( now under $10), blows it away in every respect.
    the LD had a truly bad picture with much sizzling in the reds - a common ld problem.

4. Jason Bell

Jason Bell Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for your opinions. Well it is definitely blurry to me. Worst disc I own by far. Since none of you think its blurry I'm gonna take it back and get another copy maybe I just got a bad one. I hope its just my disc because I really like this movie.

5. Jeff D Han

Jeff D Han Supporting Actor

I recommend that you listen to De Vito's commentary.
    It's one of the better ones out there. He is very
    entertaining and he comes across as a friendly guy. [​IMG]

6. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.

7. Derek Miner

Derek Miner Screenwriter

It's already a special edition, isn't it?

Doesn't it have commentary and deleted scenes that were previously on the laserdisc?