What's new

War for the Planet of the Apes - 7/14/17 (1 Viewer)

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Yup, the rave reviews are just now starting to roll in.

At some point, the re-rebooted Planet of the Apes secretly became the best blockbuster franchise of the decade. Like the Bourne films of the 2000s, they survived (thrived, even) with the change in directorial stewardship to be artistically challenging, thematically-relevant, surprisingly intelligent, and superbly well-crafted studio movies. Ones that built off each other, but which also work as satisfying units unto themselves that don't need to sell action figures or connect to other "shared cinematic universe"-bullshit.

We're going to look back at these films in ten years' time, and be amazed not only that they exist -- how can something as unique and uncompromising as these films come through the modern Hollywood system intact? -- but also that they don't really garner the attention that they deserve.

Both Rise of the Planet of the Apes and Dawn of the Planet of the Apes are truly great films, complex and complicated and pretty consistently firing on all cylinders, and I'm glad we have them...and that War for the Planet of the Apes evidently doesn't disappoint is really just further confirmation that this franchise is truly something special.

Roll on July 12th.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
It's remarkable that a rebooted franchise can produce three movies in a row that can stand shoulder to shoulder with its predecessor franchise and even surpass it by leaps and bounds (even the "bad one" of the three, Rise of. is vastly supperior to the later installments of the franchise it was allegedly remaking and compares favorably to usual "second best" Escape From).

Its even more remarkable that its effing Planet of the Apes that pulled it off!

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
I'm really starting to get in the mood for this film...

get

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Yup, the rave reviews are just now starting to roll in.

At some point, the re-rebooted Planet of the Apes secretly became the best blockbuster franchise of the decade. Like the Bourne films of the 2000s, they survived (thrived, even) with the change in directorial stewardship to be artistically challenging, thematically-relevant, surprisingly intelligent, and superbly well-crafted studio movies. Ones that built off each other, but which also work as satisfying units unto themselves that don't need to sell action figures or connect to other "shared cinematic universe"-bullshit.

We're going to look back at these films in ten years' time, and be amazed not only that they exist -- how can something as unique and uncompromising as these films come through the modern Hollywood system intact? -- but also that they don't really garner the attention that they deserve.

Both Rise of the Planet of the Apes and Dawn of the Planet of the Apes are truly great films, complex and complicated and pretty consistently firing on all cylinders, and I'm glad we have them...and that War for the Planet of the Apes evidently doesn't disappoint is really just further confirmation that this franchise is truly something special.

Roll on July 12th.
My only real beef with the first two reboot movies was that I thought the titles should have been transposed. Dawn of the Planet of the Apes first, then Rise of the Planet Of The Apes.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
My only real beef with the first two reboot movies was that I thought the titles should have been transposed. Dawn of the Planet of the Apes first, then Rise of the Planet Of The Apes.
Yeah, that was actually an artifact of the change in series directors -- when Rupert Wyatt directed Rise, the plan was for the sequel to jump thousands of years into the future, and give us a remake of the 1968 original film (which is set up in Rise by the news reports concerning the "vanished" NASA space-mission and crew).

When Wyatt stepped down and Matt Reeves took over the series, the decision was made to continue on with Caesar's character and what occurred next, but suddenly this also meant that the movie-titles were now illogically switched around, since the filmmakers hadn't anticipated this shift in creative direction back in 2010-11.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I still haven't seen ANY of these. Which is why I was pretty thrilled to discover that there's going to be a three-film marathon in a couple of weeks! :)

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
I tried a strange experiment the last time I watched the original Apes Quintet™ (which was also two years ago): I watched them backwards. Started with Battle, and concluded with the Schaffner original. I've seen the movies so often that I thought I might glean new insight into them by giving them the Christopher Nolan / Memento-treatment.

And it totally worked -- all the films seemed fresher to me than ever before, and the original seems to loom even larger as a masterpiece. (And it was the most I've enjoyed Battle and Beneath). I heartily recommend that all Apes fans give reverse-Apes a shot at some point.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I believe it was before 'Dawn Of the Planet Of the Apes' that I read that there was to be a trilogy ('War' being the last obviously) and then a planned remake of the original 1968 film.

I hope so. The casting has already been running wild in my brain. Who would make a good Taylor, Nova, Zaius?

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
We've known for a while that the advance word on the film is good, but here is the New York Times' review, which is really very good. That's especially noteworthy since the Times has been very hard on genre films in the last few years.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/12/movies/war-for-the-planet-of-the-apes-review.html

“War for the Planet of the Apes,” directed by Matt Reeves, is the grimmest episode so far, and also the strongest, a superb example — rare in this era of sloppily constructed, commercially hedged cinematic universes — of clear thinking wedded to inventive technique in popular filmmaking. The distinction of this run of “Planet of the Apes” movies has been its commitment to the venerable belief that science fiction belongs to the literature of ideas, and its willingness to risk seeming to take itself too seriously. Each episode has pursued a stark ethical or political problem, and each has shifted the moral ground from human to ape.

Very much looking forward to this.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Seeing it in Dolby Cinema Sunday afternoon. My most anticipated film of the summer. Cant wait.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I won't be able to see it until Monday or Tuesday, but I am very, very excited for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks