War and Peace soundtrack

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Ken New, Jul 27, 2003.

1. Ken New

Ken New Agent

I'm getting through the recent Russcico SE of Bondarchuk's War and Peace.

I have the sound set for English 5.1 audio. So anyone got any idea why it frequently swings from English to Russian with sub-titles and then back again - sometimes in mid-sentence?

2. Kim Donald

Kim Donald Stunt Coordinator

Kim Donald Houde-Martens
    The Dub is for the shorter version released in the States and UK and the DVD is the Longer Russian Cut. So parts of the film were never dubbed in English.
    kd

3. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

I can't believe that someone who bought this amazing DVD set would watch the film in English - the dubbing is atrocious. Stick with the original Russian and English subtitles. [​IMG]

Respectfully,

Gordy

4. PaulP

PaulP Producer

The film is amazing, yet the transfer leaves a lot of room for improvement, sadly.

5. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

$80,000 was spent restoring the film, according to the interview with the cinematographer on the 5th disc. The 65mm filmstock that was used to for the production was of poorer quality than Eastman 65mm negative in the Sixties and the negative and other elements were not kept in good shape over the years - it's amazing that the complete films exits at all - I'm actually amazed that I have this film on DVD.

The film was restored on film. The transfer looks like film. To make it look 'better' would require extensive digital 'refurbishing'.

Personally, I think that it is a good transfer of an incredibly difficult film to render on video. It is a clean, fairly colorful, well-framed transfer. Only the contrast during dark scenes and optical dupes look bad. But I've seen this film in 70mm a few times over the years, and I think that Ruscico's DVD transfer does the film considerable justice, all things considered.

Cliche alert: They don't make 'em like that anymore!

All the CGI in the World simply cannot compete with the exilirating and authentic re-enactment of The Battle Of Borondino in Bondarchuk's War And Peace.

Gordy

6. Ken New

Ken New Agent

Thanks Kim for your helpful answer. And Gordon is right, the dubbing is pretty bad (although I've seen worse) so I'll be watching the rest of it in Russian. But even if for some reason anyone wanted to hear it in English throughout, be warned - you can't.

7. GerardoHP

GerardoHP Supporting Actor

Gerardo Paron
    Ain't that the truth. When I play scenes of the battle of Borodino for others (so far, no one has agreed to watch the whole thing with me) their jaws just drop.

8. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

I haven't seen the Ruscico transfer yet, but it's got to be better than the hacked up P&S version issued by Kultur....

9. PaulP

PaulP Producer

I've only watched the first part so far. The photography is excellent. The transfer is somewhat murky and pixilated in places, in the begining, for example. And since this is a soundtrack thread, while the Russian 5.1 track sounds very good, it sounded to me in a few instances like some sound effects perhaps were new. But maybe that's just me, perhaps someone has more concrete information.

10. Douglas R

Douglas R Cinematographer

Doug
    As much as I like the film I'm still debating with myself whether to buy it because Widescreen Review gave a very damning verdict on the picture quality.

11. JayF

JayF Stunt Coordinator

Douglas, my guess is this is the best it's ever going to get. Given that, I'd buy it without hesitation.

12. RichD

RichD Agent

I watched it on a 92" screen with an HS10 and a DVI dvd player. If you compare the picture to a solid modern transfer, you're going to be disappointed. If you want to see some stunning cinematography, you'll find it's "good enough."

According to the movie's cameraman on the interview disc, 60's era 65mm Soviet film technology sucks. Big surprise. :p) Elements of the soundtrack didn't survive. So Ruscico did a decent transfer with what they had. There's no annoying edge enhancement and the bitrate on discs 2-4 is excellent. That can't be said for many big studio releases...

I think the biggest flaw is the DVD format doesn't have enough resolution to show the detail a film like this deserves (12,000 little people on the screen all at once!) It screams for a HD transfer.

I didn't care for the 5.1 soundtrack. I dunno how this was originally recorded, but it felt artificial, imho.