What's new

Wanting to use existing infrastructure (1 Viewer)

Trekologist

Auditioning
Real Name
Eric
A newb here, but my home audio knowledge is... intermediate. I just moved into a new place, and the living room is pre-wired for a 5.1 system out of the ceiling. It's obvious the previous owner installed this, and seemed to do a good job, so I'd like to use as much of it as possible. I know it's a long shot, but I'd even like to use the existing holes in the ceiling. There's pictures below, but some measurements I managed to get are about 1 3/4" square, from the center of the holes. I guess what I really need are ceiling brackets, as I'm confident that I'd be able to put together a fairly moderate system. If not, this site is in my bookmarks. :) Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
It kills me when people remove ceiling/wall brackets. Last time I did a system like that, I left it. I'm not sure you're going to find "exact fit" to match the holes out of anything more than just dumb luck. Even then, I'm not sure I'd re-use the existing holes. I'd fill them and start new. I'd even clean up the "dangling wires" by putting in binding post covers.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
First thing, mounting speakers to the ceiling really isn't a good idea, especially the center channel. Voices from above? :) Second thing, that's regular speaker wire. You're supposed to use CL-2/CL-3 wire in the walls and ceilings to satisfy local fire codes. And help to keep your houst from sustaining even more damage should a fire occure. I'd pull the wires out, patch the holes, re-paint the ceiling and start from scratch.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
You think that might be CL rated wire? The clear jacket threw me off. If it is then stuff the wire inside the wall and patch over them. Anyway, if he still wants to go with mounting speakers to the ceiling it might be tough for him to find the exact mounting plate that was used before. I'd look far a mount with a larger plate that covers up the old holes.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I can't tell either. The picture isn't very good. It does look like it has a red jacket over one strand but I can't see anything over the other strand. The clear outer jacket could be fire resistant but who knows for sure unless it's marked as such somewhere on it.

Trekologist

Auditioning
Real Name
Eric
All right. So general consensus is that this is a lost cause? I can live with that. And yeah, each wire is covered in a colored jacket with a clear jacket over it all. I can fill these in and get a set of wireless or something.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Sounds like you're 0 for 2 :) . I suggest you do some research and ask some questions about different speaker designs (traditional, in-wall/in-ceiling, on-wall, etc) and placement. You should also tell us what kind of budget you have, what other equipment you already have or are in need of, and what the priorety is. Speaker size and placement, sound quality, ease of installation, etc. Music and/or movies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks