Wanting to set up file/media server... will the connection be fast enough?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by AndyVX, Apr 4, 2002.

1. AndyVX

AndyVX Supporting Actor

Hello,

I want build another computer to act as a file/media server for all the computers in my house.

What I want to know is, if the 100mbps ethernet connection will be fast enough? I want to store all my MP3's and video files on the computer, and be able to play them on my computer, my parents computer, and my brothers computer.

Thanks.

2. Matt DeVillier

Matt DeVillier Supporting Actor

in a word, yes. Just make sure all computers have a 10/100 card, and you are connecting them to a switch (not a hub). You could probably get away with a hub for only a few computers though if you won't be streaming video off the server from all the "clients" simultaneously

3. DonRoeber

DonRoeber Screenwriter

It'll be just fine. I'm looking at building a fileserver to use with an AudioTron mp3 player and a replay tv. I was surprised to see that the network ports built into those are only 10mbit. I'm going to try using wireless to my home theater before I run cables, we'll see if that works.

4. AndyVX

AndyVX Supporting Actor

Thanks guys. I will be using a switch (Linksys Cable/DSL Router to be exact).
    I'm not really sure why I'm doing this though. Maybe just for the wow factor. [​IMG] I can set up a WAN and give all my friends access to just the File Server.

5. Jeff Blair

Jeff Blair Second Unit

For the big WOW factor, make it a Linux box. I am about to make one, and they look great. Cheap also.

6. AndyVX

AndyVX Supporting Actor

So what would people suggest I build this box with? Like what components. I'm thinking to start I'll throw in an 80GB drive, and add more as needed.

But what about things like mobo/processor. I'm guessing I wouldn't need much. If I install Linux on it, will it work properly as a storage server for my Windows boxes?

Thanks in advance.

7. DonRoeber

DonRoeber Screenwriter

Andy,
    I prefer using Intel chips for server systems, they seem a bit more reliable to me. Get a high quality motherboard too. I've been looking at a Gigabyte one. But Asus and Tyan also make excellent boards for server systems. Remember, you're more interested in stability than "features" and overclockability. If your motherboard doesn't come with ethernet built in, get a high quality Intel or 3com network card. Get a healthy amount of ram, filesharing can make good use of it. If your motherboard has onboard video use it, if not, buy a cheap video card. Ideally you won't be using the video much. May want to get a fast cdrom drive for ripping mp3s. Up to you.
    As far as disks go, always buy as much as you can affoard [​IMG] If your motherboard has onboard RAID, get a couple disks and use it, the reliability will make a difference, especially when one of the disks fails. I also suggest keeping data and the operating system on seperate disks, so if the OS gets wacky and you need to reformat, you don't lose your data.
    Regarding the choice of OS, yes, Linux can easily do filesharing with windows systems using the Samba software. It's included with RedHat, which is a good place to start if you're not familiar with Linux. Some people also like Mandrake linux, but I find it more geared towards desktop use than server use.

8. Rob Behm

Rob Behm Extra

Intel is good. I prefer AMD Athlons, more bang for the buck. I would suggest Newegg and just putting it together yourself. If you want the wow factor, I like rack mountable ATX size cases.

Suggested configuration

Epox 8kha+ motherboard

AMD Athlon 1800

Crucial 256MB DDR SDRAM

Nvidia chipset video card

Netgear 10/100 card