Wanting to learn more about separates

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris Tabor, Nov 10, 2002.

1. Chris Tabor

Chris Tabor Stunt Coordinator

What are the better brands of amps and pre amps? Is there anything I should consider when looking? If I want 6.1 channels with a separates system what do I have to buy?

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Chris: Your question is too general. What specifically are you looking for in a preamp and a power amp? What sort of research have you done so far? JB

3. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

Chris,

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but you own RF-7's, right. If you're the one I'm thinking of, then you should definitely being thinking a warm amp. I own RB-5's and adding the Parasound 1205A was the most positive change I've ever made in my system. I have it matched up with the Rotel 1065 and I'd be somewhat surprised if any mass produced receiver could beat its sound when matched with the Reference line. I'm assuming you want good two-channel as well as HT performance.

4. Chris Tabor

Yes Dana, I would like both HT performance and good 2 channel. Whats the best way to get a multi channel setup with separates? Do you get several 2 channel amps or just one expensive 5 or 6 channel amp?

5. Chris Tabor

And yes, I do have the rf7's

6. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

I've read posters who've argued that monoblocks are the best path to audio nirvana. I'm in no position to dispute this as I've never compared the two side by side. I couldn't do monoblocks all around anyway due to space, cash, and outlet restrictions. Multi-channel amps, imo, represent a huge step up from the power supplies included in receivers though, and most who have used outboard amps would agree. If you're interested in 6 total channels, you could find a three two channel amps or go with a five channel and use a monoblock for the remaining channel. Certain manufacturers also make six and seven channel amps. I have thought about adding a sixth channel to my bedroom HT and, if I did so, I'd probably go for a less costly monoblock for my rear back channel, something like an Audiosource. Again, Klipsch really appreciate a great matching amp, ie warm sounding, and I've found my Parasound to meet this need wonderfully. I've also found the Rotel/Parasound to be a great combo, especially if they can be found for around 2K total. I can't imagine any receiver in this price range would be anywhere in the same ball park with regards to performance. I also know that many I've read love the straight Rotel pre/pro, amp combination. And, the added bonus here would be the, again my opinion, beautiful appearance of these components in the silver colored option which Rotel offers. You might also want to post in the HT section of the Klipsch forums at Klipsch.com.