What's new

Wanting to change my audio sys (1 Viewer)

jonito258

Grip
Real Name
Jonatan
Noob question: how can I measure the quality of a speaker? Rms? Number of drivers? Ohms?

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I was trying to keep it simple since you don't appear to be actually listening to any equipment. The Polks have the price advantage of an economy of volume manufacturing. That doesn't make them better or worse necessarily, just more speaker and performance for the money. I also find them a good choice because I use them in my two "cheaper" systems. My main system is significantly higher end and since I can listen to those systems without being unhappy with how they sound, I'd say they are an exceptional deal. If you aren't going to audition speakers yourself, you can either drive yourself crazy considering everything under the sun, or you can get something well established and well reviewed, a good value and easily available... and enjoy the system now, or you can speculate forever.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
To continue on why I like the Polk Monitor speakers. Exceptional value. Reasonably uncolored sound. This means, they don't noticeably alter the sound. this can be good or bad depending on what you want. Some people want colored sound, sometimes they want a "dark" sounding speaker because they find accurate too "bright", they just don't know it. Since most AVRs have some tone controls, then starting with a neutral speaker can have the most flexibility of sound characteristics. I've heard very few complaints about the Polk Monitors, for the price. The 35B is easily wall mountable, BTW. Not the others though.

jonito258

Grip
Real Name
Jonatan
Do you think that I can put the 35B in a prone position (like a ceiling speaker) or is it better to get a real ceiling speaker?

ArmSC

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tony
I would get ceiling if you're going to hang them parallel to the ceiling. I think the polk OW recommendation was a good one. Not too expensive, meant for wall mount, polk sound. FYI my new denon was a breeze to setup. Plug it in and follow the on screen instructions. The unit and mic do all the hard work.

jonito258

Grip
Real Name
Jonatan

jonito258

Grip
Real Name
Jonatan
I will look at the Polk OW. Do you think they have a similar price/performance that the Monitor ones?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Price yes. Performance no.They are flat(ter) than the monitors, ergo not the optimal box size.You probably won't know the difference, unless they we're next to each other.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks