Wanting a good system for the family room

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by GeorgeTed, Jul 14, 2003.

1. GeorgeTed

GeorgeTed Auditioning

Hello all,

Just getting started and am realy enjoying the Home Theater world. My theater will be my family room, therefore, I have three walls around me and the kitchen/nook will be to the left...all with wood floors. The family room not including the kitchen is roughly 12'x 16'.

From my reading at this forum, my room setup doesn't lend itself to the best theater environment, but it's all I have.

I've already bought the Mitsubishi WS-65411 HDTV and am really loving the size, feel and clarity from DVD movies. Regular TV looks bad (I didn't buy this for TV) but the couple HD cannels I bought from my cable company is awesome. I have the Panasonic S35 DVD player and this makes up my entire system so far.

Next on the list is the receiver and speakers. I'm willing to buy a real nice system but don't want to overspend or buy more than my environment can compliment.

Soooo...I'm looking for input/advise to what class or price range I should consider given the limited environment I have to put the system in. I don't want a system better than the room can handle.

Thanks and looking forward to any input...

George

2. KrishnaP

KrishnaP Extra

Knowing the budget will be a good start for some to advise you better. I am no audiophile who can find much differences between various brands good sounding speakers. I listened to low priced to high priced models from NHT, Paradigm, KEF, Totems, B&W, Energy, PSB, Mirage, and JM Labs to name a few. To my ears, I enjoyed each of them in different price ranges almost equally. They all make very excellent speakers. My final judgement was based on the looks and the kind of service I got from the dealer. So, I went with KEF's because they make very good sounding speakers that sounded excellent to me. Moreover, the dealer is too good and gave me a very good discount. The discount will be better if you buy more equipment from him.

Among receivers, Denon, Onkyo, Pioneer Elite, NAD, Rotel, ARCAM, Yamaha, H&K and Marantz all are very good. If I have to pick one, I probably will get Pioneer Elite's newer models coming in a month or two as they have some latest features not found in other receivers. Or I will pick some older refurbished models of Marantz from accessories4less.com which come with full manufacturer warranty.

BTW, don't waste too much on cables. Radioshack should be more than adequate to make the system sound it's best. Getting more expensive cables will only help gain some unnoticeable improvements(at least to my ears)!

3. Andrew Pezzo

Andrew Pezzo Second Unit

What would help is giving us an idea of your budget. There are many combinations of speakers/receivers that could be recommend spanning a large price range. For example:

Denon AVR1603 with Energy Take 5.2 system, roughly $800-$1000

Denon AVR3803 with Def Tef Tech BP7001SC's, CLR3000, BP2X's,
    roughly $5800.

I could go and on but if you told us what your budget is you could get more concrete answers and they would be more useful to you. Either way I had/have both systems mentioned above and I loved/love them both.

Also, do you prefer floor standing, bookshelf, or satellite speakers?

4. GeorgeTed

GeorgeTed Auditioning

Am looking at between $1000-$1500 for both speakers and receiver. I'm looking at the satellite speakers all the way around.

thanks...

5. Brian Corr

Brian Corr Supporting Actor

Denon (1803 or 2803) and energy take 5 would be a great package and probably give the most bang for the buck.

Concentrate on the sub and center channel when checking out systems. They will have the greatest impact on the sound for 5.1 material.

AV123.com is about to release a sub/sat speaker package called the ELT for $895. I heard this a couple weeks ago and it's a nice little system for the money, and the finish is fantastic.

PSB and Monitor Audio are other brands I really like for speakers.

Check out www.yawaaudio.com in CA. They are a great dealer to work with.

6. KrishnaP

KrishnaP Extra

JM Labs Sib/Cub 5.1 Home Theater System is also a nice sounding satellite system. You can get the dealer to come done to 1K. They also have excellent finish. You can get a very good refurbished receiver with manufacturer warranty from accessories4less.com or onecall.com.

Also, energy Take 5, AVS123(read from people's opinions here) system, KEF KHT 2005.2 should make fine satellite system in your budget. KEF's KHT is coming with newer system soon and you can get this model for around 1K or little more. Also, Totem DreamCather is one excellent speaker package but it's around 1.7K MSRP. I have no idea how much discount you can get on these. They sound incredible good for it's size and price.

Find your local dealers and listen to all these and you will love each of them for sure.

7. KrishnaP

KrishnaP Extra