What's new

Wanted: Your Opinions on Def Techs (1 Viewer)

Dan Keefe

Second Unit
Just wondering what everyone's opinion on Definitive Technology Speakers is.
Does anyone own these? I am looking at Towers with powered sub BP2004TL and matching center speaker C/L/R 2300 and also the bipolar surrounds...

thanks,
dan

Mike Sloan

Second Unit
I have listened to the 2006's alot and think they sound really good! The soundstage is massive. One thing I would not skimp on is the surrounds. The smallest I would go with would be the BPX's. You will thank me later! A buddy of mine has the 2002's, BPX's and a VTF-3 and to me...it just can't get much better.

David Nash

Agent
Real Name
David
I have the BP2004TL's, CLR2002 and the BP2X's and could not be happier. They exceeded my expectations with clear a detailed soundstage and surprisingly deep bass from the two 10" subs. This is in a room approx. 18' x 30'. I would recommend the CLR2002 over the CLR2300 even though it's not powered due to fact they have the same 5 1/4" drivers and it sounds great as well. Bottom line is you'll be happy with the Def. Techs. One day I would love to have another pair of the BP2004's for the rears and switch the BP2X's to the sides for 7.1 sound. Talk about bass galore!!!
Good Luck
David

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
I bought DefTech based on how good the CLR 2002 center speaker is. It provided detail and a soundstage that other sets of 3 speakers did not.

I got the 2000tl towers, but right now the build-in subs are turned off in favor of a external SVS.

So my advice would be to consider some of the un-powered towers, the CLR2002 center and a external SVS for about $750.

Note: others have said the 2002 center sounded better than the more expensive 2000 model.

A note about bipolars: to really get the effect that bipolar offers, you really want to pull these speakers about 3 feet into the room. The delay from the back-fire sound is what fools your ears into thinking the sound-source is farther away than it really is.

Kris Coffin

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Dan,
I am currently using the BP2000TL fronts, CLR3000 center and 4 BPVX/P rears.
For the most part I have alot of praise for Def Tech, but I have found that unfortunately the do not offer that great a bass response. I went higher end with the BPVX/P's because they had the powered woofers in the rear, and I like alto of bass, but I have had nothing but problems with them bottoming out. I have had to almost turn the bass dial on them totally off, a real letdown, and a huge waste of cash. With the extra I spent on the BPXV/P's, I could have got 2 SVS subs. :frowning: For surround effects though, they are great, the fill the rear of the room with ease, things just come alive behind you. I have demo'd the BPX's and they sounded pretty good as well.
The biggest improvent came with the CLR3000 though. Dialog in movies is crystal clear, and the addition of a powered sub in the center channel is quite nice as well.
Can't say I have any experience with the bp2004tl, but I am quite satisfied with the 2000tl's, bass issue not withstanding. (Getting a couple of svs cs16-46 subs in February, and taking Bob's approach) But the above comments are correct, these babies need there space, I have mine about 2 1/2 feet from he back wall, toed in, and the room is just enveloped in 2 channel stereo. My sweet spot in stereo is about 6' wide , unbelievably huge. High's and Mids sound very nice, sound is nice and warm, in my opinion, not nearly as bright as I have read elsewhere.
I would definitely take Bob's advice though, look at the unpowered towers, and with the money you save, get a decent SVS sub.
Hope this helps.
Kris

EdR

Second Unit
This might not be the most useful post, but here's my experience with DT sepakers.

My father had heard of DT from a friend of his, so we went to an audio store to check them out...

I brought several CDs of familiar material. The amp was an NAD (don't recall the model).

We listened to several models, I believe all were from the Bipolar Tower series.

My overall impression was that they had very sloppy exaggerated bass. The midrange seemed compressed and mostly lost in a sea of bass. They had lots of high-end, which seemed moslty to compensate for the excessive low-end. I had to check the amp to make sure that there wasn't some kind of 'loudness' switch on it...there wasn't.

As you might be able to tell, I didn't like them at all. My sense was that they were 'rock and roll' speakers...boosted upper and lower ranges.

For reference to what I DO like, I own a pair of Dynaudio Audience 9's. I also have to say that we only listened to music, no HT stuff at all.

Wayne McRae

Stunt Coordinator
Bob just described my setup. A pair of BP-10's,CLR 2002 center,a pair of BP2X and a SVS. Great for music and fantastic for home theater. They are fussy as to their location. I have mine 32" from the wall and slightly toed in.

Tom S

Agent
I purchased the following, sight unheard, due to recommendations from this forum, and unfortunately, a "HT Magazine", (something about strapping rocket to your chair):
BP2006TL's
C/L/R 2002
BP2X (Wanted BPX, but no stock)
I have them paired with a Denon 3300 receiver. I was so happy and proud of my new set-up. :D That was until I turned them on. What a major disappointment. I almost packed them up and brought them back.
I found the BP2006TL's EXTREMELY bright. To the point it sounded like there was white noise super-imposed on to the signal. They were so bright, I neeed to turn down the treble on the Denon to compensate. I also found it lacking in the mid-range, but not really poor. I also didn't find the bass to my liking. It seemed either too much or too little. I couldn't find the sweet spot. I decided to keep the bass control at the 1 O'clock position as recommended in the manual. They still seem to "boom" excessively on some CDs. I also learned that they sound better in DIRECT mode, although I still listen to CDs almost exclusively in 5 CH STEREO (with some bass/treble compensation).
All's not negative. I did like the sound stage that the bipolar effect presented. The sound is so uniform across the viewing area that sometimes I wonder if all three speakers are functioning. Take that as a compliment to the timbre matching. I do enjoy them much more for HT than music.
I am a bit disappointed with the surrounds, but I think that has to do with my installation. I have to have them on the back wall, I only have one "side-wall", so I don't have a choice. I think a side wall install probably would be better. I can't prove it, but I think their sensitivity are a bit lower than their big brothers, especially at low volume. Haven't sat down with my trusty SPL to find out.
I am not necessarily panning DefTech, but after the initial shock wore off, I did start to warm-up to them. I did keep them and, believe it or not, I have considered upgrading and buy them this way (which is also my recommendations):
1) Upgrade to the 2002's or 2000's. I think the extra drivers should make a world of difference. Don't expect a lot from the built-in subs. Be prepared to add a dedicated sub.
2) Upgrade the surrounds to BPX, same reason.
Unfortunately with me, that would mean a pricey upgrade, as such, I would consider other brands and let the shoot out begin.
Happy listening,
Tom

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks