What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

WANTED: Warner Home Video Westerns Collection Vol. 2 (1 Viewer)

Simon Howson

Screenwriter
The WHV Westerns Collection was one of my favourite releases of this year. The set is partly a Robert Taylor set, as he appears in three of the six films.

I am hopeful that this set sold well, and that Warner follows it up with a similar box in 2009. If they do, they could do worse than focusing on some of the great Joel McCrea westerns from the late 1940s and 1950s.

I'm a huge McCrea fan (Sullivan's Travels and Foreign Correspondent are brilliant films), during this period McCrea made a lot of B-Westerns, some non-Warner owned ones, like Fort Massacre and The Gunfight at Dodge City, are IMO vastly under-rated.

It would be great if some of the Allied Artists films that I think Warner still owns were released, some are quite short, so two could be fit on a single disc, e.g. The First Texan, The Tall Stranger, The Oklahoman and the brilliant Wichita.

But then Warner could dig into their own vault, and MGM's for films like:

Colorado Territory
(I've never seen this, but it is a remake of High Sierra which I love)

Stars in my Crown
(I haven't seen this film, but I've read that it was one of McCrea's favourites, it has a high average IMDB rating of 7.7 which suggests it is something of a sleeper. Also, like Wichita, it was directed by B film king Jacques Tourner.

Hopefully Warner releases another WHV Westerns Collection box sometime next year. If they do, what should it contain? Should it be organised by actor? Or a theme? Or should it just feature 6 great westerns? Should it feature classic westerns, or lesser known / cult titles?

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Both Colorado Territory and Stars In My Crown are fine films, which I would consider 'A' efforts. It is a shame that neither are available. At least they show up on TCM a lot.

On a side note, I just thought of another shamefully under-rated film with Dean Stockwell (one of the leads in Stars In My Crown)-The Happy Years-William Wellman's adaptation of The Lwarenceville stories. I have both Stars In My Crown and The Happy Years on DVD-Rs recorded from TCM.

Dave B Ferris

Screenwriter
I agree with Simon's suggestions for the Joel McCrea movies. I will also add the following suggestions:

Across The Wide Missouri (William Wellman; Clark Gable)
Devil's Doorway (Anthony Mann; Robert Taylor)
The Sheepman (Glenn Ford)

CineKarine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Karine Philippot
I would add a non-PD version of Vengeance Valley (51) with Burt Lancaster and Robert Walker.

Happy Holidays everyone!!!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Some of these titles from RKO, Warner and MGM might not belong to Warner any longer, but they are titles I would buy on DVD that have a western theme to them.
  • Station West
  • Across the Wide Missouri
  • Santa Fe Trail
  • Best of the Badmen
  • Return of the Badmen
  • Cheyenne
  • Badman's Territory
  • Bad Men of Missouri
  • Billy the Kid (1941)
  • The Last Hunt
  • Devil's Doorway
  • Ride Vaquero!
  • Westward the Women
  • Ambush
  • The Oklahoma Kid
  • Lone Star (1952)
  • Colorado Territory
  • South of St. Louis
  • The Wild North
  • The Badlanders
  • The Fastest Gun Alive
  • The Sheepman
  • Rachel and the Stranger
  • Three Godfathers (1936)
  • Silver River
  • Northwest Passage
  • The Big Sky
  • Wagon Master
  • The Charge at Feather River

Simon Howson

Screenwriter
THe only part of Vegence Valley I've seen is the end! Edward Furlong is shown watching it at the start of the great 1990s gangster film Little Odessa:
Little Odessa (1994)

I know it isn't a pure "Western", but I hope Warner finds a way to release Nicholas Ray's film The Lusty Men. Do they have enough for another Mitchum box?

vinman

Auditioning
Real Name
vin
Funny how Home Theater technology has surpassed television broadcasts of the Classics.
Will I be around to see TCM , Fox and the Western movie channels broadcast in High(er) Definition so I can stop running around collecting my favorites on today's mediums (often from poor transfers) ?
Yeah, right that will be the day...in the meanwhile I still mourn losing my local movie theaters that used to screen classics and keep buying every new release.....patience , patience.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
I'd especially like to see the following:

The Big Sky
Wagon Master
Blood On The Moon
Wichita
Stars in My Crown
Westward the Women
Station West
Santa Fe Trail
Cheyenne
The Badlanders
Ride, Vaquero!
Silver River
Colorado Territory
Devil's Doorway
The Lusty Men
Billy The Kid
Westbound
The Wild North
Rancho Notorious
The Last Hunt
Tribute to a Bad Man
Strange Lady in Town
The Sheepman
Day Of The Evil Gun
The Hanging Tree
The Fastest Gun Alive
The Iron Mistress
Rachel and the Stranger
Lone Star
The Oklahoma Kid
Best of the Badmen
Return of the Bad Men
The Moonlighter

If Warners can release these Classic Western Collections bi-annually in the spring and fall, they could easily get through the above list of titles over the course of the next three years schedule. That's a mere 10 westerns per year; within expectation for one of the highest-selling and marketed film genres I'd say!

With names like Hawks, Walsh, LeRoy, Curtiz, Tourneur, Lang, Boetticher and so many star-driven vehicles from Mitchum, Ford, Ryan, Taylor, Ladd, Scott, etc. this should be a given!

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Also, while not really befitting the "classic western" genre, Lonely Are the Brave (1962), absolutely needs a release ASAP!!!

I'm really not sure why it's taken so long to get this masterpiece out already?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I think we're talking about westerns belonging to Warner in this thread. That's a Universal title.

Also, I think "Day of the Evil Gun" might belong to MGM/Fox???

Edit: After doublechecking "Day of the Evil Gun" is a MGM title that belongs to Warner now.

Crawdaddy

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Woops!!

I didn't realize that was a Universal property - or I did in retrospect but it slipped my mind!

All the other titles mentioned seem to fall within the proper context for this thread... I hope we see at least a majority of them released within the next year.

Any idea how the previous Western Collection sold?

MikeIMH

Grip
Like you I love Westerns and would love to see Warners put out a Western Collection or two, each year.

Here are a few more Warner and MGM westerNs that I suggest be part of future collections:

Warners

Guns of the Timberland... not a classic western but has a good cast including Alan Ladd, Jeanne Crain, and Gilbert Roland

A Distant Trumpet....... directed by Raoul Walsh, starring Troy Donahue (see soon to be released Warner Bros Romance Classics Collection) and Suzanne Pleshette (who relatively recently passed away) so it's inclusion could be considered timely.

The Burning Hills .... an oater starring Natalie Wood (good timing as her Warner Collection is about to be released) and Tab Hunter

MGM

The Wild Rovers .. earning a 6.6 on the IMDB, this western stars William Holden and Ryan O'Neal and has a cult following

The Rounders ... directed and written by Burt Kennedy (note the success of the Budd Boetticher Box Set where the writing credits were mostly Burt Kennedy) and starring Glen Ford and Henry Fonda, this western deserves to be released on DVD

The Thunder of Drums... while reviews of this western are mixed at best, it has a strong cast including Richard Boone, George Hamilton, Richard Chamberlain, Charles Bronson, and Slim Pickens.

Simon Howson

Screenwriter
Yeah I'd love to see this. It was directed by Joseph M. Newman who was an underrated director of B films, including the great westerns Fort Massacre and The Gunfight at Dodge City.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
His father had his moments with some Wallace Beery, Tarzan and Robert Taylor films. Also, I enjoyed Night Must Fall, Double Wedding, The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn Carbine Williams and Vengence Valley.

Simon Howson

Screenwriter
The best one I've seen would be his remake of The Prisoner of Zenda.

The worst is The Prodigal which surely was meant to be a comedy. I've seen half a dozen others, but they are infinitely forgettable films. I can't remember anything from Jailhouse Rock, other than the Jailhouse Rock sequence which Presley effectively directed! :D

Apparently he always started with master shots and then went for closer and closer angles, stopping each take when the actors flubbed a line. Not exactly the most imaginative direction method ever.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
If a volume #2 includes The Hanging Tree, Colorado Territory, The Devil's Doorway and Northwest Passage (which could also be included in an Adventure Movie set) I'll buy it.

For me those are the only remaining "must own" Westerns controlled by Warner so the less of those titles included the less likely I'll be to purchase. Throw in Across the Wide Missouri, Wild Rovers and maybe Westbound to round out a set and I'll be content.

From what I understand The Hanging Tree need(s)/needed a lot of work so I'd rather have it done right. I'm more of a quality guy than a quantity guy.

Coopsgirl_31

Agent
Real Name
Angie
Hi Jim_K,
I would also buy any set that had a good print of The Hanging Tree. You’re right in that this film does need some work but the problem with that is while it’s part of Warner’s catalog, Gary Cooper’s daughter also has a share in it as it was made by his production company, Baroda. I believe the way it’s set up, she would receive the majority of any money made from dvd sales so the studio may not want to pony up the money for restoration if they would not get much back on it. Let’s hope though that one day it is restored and gets a proper release.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WoutV
Recent bookmarks
SVS Outlet Sale