WANTED: The Tripods

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ed Faver, Jul 30, 2002.

1. Ed Faver

Ed Faver Second Unit

Does anyone have this BBC series on tape or DVD? My understanding is that the DVD is a R0 PAL version, but I'm hoping someone might have VHS, even an off-the-air taping to share. My son loves these books & I'd like to find them for him. LMK. Thanks!

2. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

Y'know, this show is one of my favorites. I often hear folks asking for it. Yet I'm amazed that only a couple of dozen people have voted for it's release so far at TVShowsOnDVD.com! [​IMG]
    Okay: I'm unaware of an "R0 PAL" version that's running around. Maybe there's one and I missed it.
    There HAS been a pair of R2 releases in PAL video format: "Series 1" and "Series 2".
    A quick check of AmazonUK shows that Series 1 was put out March 2001 and is available "within 1-2 weeks" (aka, Special Order). They show that Series 2 was put out July 2001 and is "Unavailable".
    Perhaps other UK sellers have it in stock, if you can use PAL at all. I can't (though the Malata's looking good to me lately more and more! [​IMG] ).
    The good news is that BBCAmerica has said that they are bringing "everything" to the USA. Sooner or later, that means Tripods, right? So for now I'm sitting back and waiting, and will enjoy a boatload of Doctor Who's in the meantime, along with upcoming complete runs of The Young Ones and Are You Being Served?
    In the meantime, here's a pic of the R2 Series 1 box, to whet your appetite (I hope the USA cover will look this cool):
    [​IMG]

3. Ed Faver

Ed Faver Second Unit

Thanks Dave! My subsequent research found a UK web site that reported the R0 DVD of Series 1 and the fact that the rights were pulled on Series 2 & the DVD never made the marketplace. I'll have to keep an eye on BBCAmerica...

4. David Lambert

Oh, okay on Series 2. Didn't know that. In fact, I've never seen it. When I lived in Houston, the PBS Station ran Series one and I loved them (of course I'd read the books years prior). I'd never seen series 2, and kept hearing through the years that I hadn't missed anything, so I wasn't too worried about it except out of curiosity.

I'd love to get Series 1 for sure. I'd get 'em all if I had the chance to.

Any idea what the rights issues were, though? It might affect R1 releases, after all.

5. Michael Sliger

Michael Sliger Second Unit

I own the current Tripod Series 1 set and can confirm that the disks are Region 0 encoded. It looks like the rights holder Second Sight wanted to leave things open for worldwide sales. Revelation Films is doing the same thing with the Tomorrow People DVDs.

The picture quality for Series 1 is a little muddled throughout, the opening episode chapter stops are placed after the opening credits, and the layer change for disk 1 is in a horrible place. Still, I am very happy to have this set in my collection. It was really unfortunate that Second Sight learned about a rights problem with Series 2 just a few weeks before that set was to be released. It was a much better season IMHO. Rumors from people in the industry claim that someone involved with only this season refuses to sign off on any video release.

I understand BBC Worldwide Americas statement as that they will release most everything that BBC Video produces in the UK. They do still allow other companies to release some of the catalog material. The Tripods falls into that area, so I would not expect this series to be released in NTSC format unless Disney finally starts making their film about The White Mountains (which is currently in development hell).

6. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Please read the Tripod books, the show is blasphemous

7. David Lambert

Jeff, as I said, I've read the books since I was a young lad. In fact, I still have the tattered copies I was given around age 11, think it was, after having already enjoyed the stories from the library.
    I disagree that the series is "blashphemous". Yes, it takes the needed liberties to shorten and compress much of the story into the miniseries. Yes, a few things happen differently to accomodate the format.
    But, I think that anybody who approaches the series on its own merits will find it quite enjoyable. If it prompts them to go read the actual books, so much the better!
    Now a REAL disaster would probably be to try to tell this story as a single film. [​IMG]
    Now, I also must say that one of the things that led me to these books was the resemblence of the Tripods to the attack machines in The War Of The Worlds. I tend to envision The Tripod Trilogy as a sort-of sequel. "What if Earth had lost the H.G. Wells battle?" Decades later, after the enslavement of humanity's remnants, we pick up in a small English village... [​IMG]
    This is MUCH better - to me anyway - than the ill-conceived 1990 book that John Christopher came with that tells the story of how the Tripods took over. I've read about the summary of that book ("When The Tripods Came"...you can read it for yourselves here), and have no desire to read that one.
    But, in the end, I agree with Jeff's general advice. READ THE ORIGINAL BOOKS! [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. Jeff Kleist

Actually, it's more the wholesale fabrication in the Tripods show that bothers me. That on top of the horrific FX work [​IMG]

9. Seth T

Seth T Stunt Coordinator

I vaguely remember reading a series as a pre-teen that had giant metal tripod machine things trying to kill or enslave humans. Is this the story? It's been in the back of my mind for some years, as I wanted to find them and reread them again. I had thought the the book title had something about "White" in it, like "White Mountains" or "White City" or somesuch. I'm probably way off, as that would have been over 20 years ago. I think it also had something to do with human slaves in domes, and many tentacled captors.
    Man I wish my memory was better. [​IMG]
    Hopefully someone can enlighten me as to whether this "Tripods" series is the correct one.
    Thanks!
    -Seth
    Ok, now after having reread David's last post with the itty bitty thumbnails of the books at the bottom, I see it IS the right one. And what do you know...The White Mountains is book one. Wow. Color me impressed with my memory. [​IMG] Off to Barnes & Noble!

10. Bill Buklis

Bill Buklis Supporting Actor

Bill Buklis
    Those three books by John Christopher are 3 of my favorite books. I've seen most of series 1 and 2 and although they are OK, they just don't compare to the books. Series 1 is definitely better than Series 2. Series 1 is also a little closer to the story of in The White Mountains. In Series 2 they just went off in their own direction altogether.

By the way the books are:

The White Mountains
    The City of Gold and Lead
    The Pool of Fire

and now apparently the new "When the Tripods Came". It may be interesting to check out even if it isn't as good as the Tripod trilogy.

Seth, it does sound like it might be the right series. There are dome cities in the Tripod trilogy.

11. David Lambert

Seth, these are definately the books you read so long ago.

Book 1: "The White Mountains": Will & Henry run away from their home in England to escape "capping" by the Tripods. Along the route to the White Mountains, following the route given them by the crazy Vagrant, Ozymandias, they befriend Jean-Paul, whom they nickname "Beanpole". Along they way, they must fight and flee the forces of the Tripods.

Book 2: "The City Of Gold And Lead": Will is sent on a mission to explore the city of the Tripods. He dons a false cap and trains to win a contest: the victor is to be taken to The City to serve The Masters. At the city, Will is enslaved by one of the Masters, a three-legged, three-tentacled, pyramidal-shaped creature who lives in denser gravity and breathes air poisonous to their human captives.

Book 3: "The Pool Of Fire": Using the information Will brought back from the domed city of The Masters, who are the drivers of The Tripods and subjagators of Earth, teams are sent to each of the three domed cities to infiltrate and deactivate their energy sources, the Pool Of Fire that powers the alien weapons, shields, and life-support systems. When this plan isn't entirely successful, mankind must chance a direct assault on the last vestige of Tripod power.

These books were orginally published in 1967-68.

12. Seth T

Seth T Stunt Coordinator

Score! Barnes & Noble online had the 4 book boxed set for $20 delivered. It's apparently out of print though, according to the local B&N guy.
    Ah yes..."capping" rings a bell too...
    I love you guys! Thanks! [​IMG]

13. Jeff Kleist

"When the Tripods Came" was written in the 80s as a prequel

14. Ed Faver

Ed Faver Second Unit

I don't think the books are out of print. We've had no problem getting them at our local B&N.

SInce I started this discussion, my son has poked around some Tripods sites & isn't very thrilled with the descriptions he see regarding the changes from the book to the screen. He's a real stickler for faithfulness in adaptations. Anyway, it's all moot since there's no NTSC version in the immediate future!

15. Seth T

Seth T Stunt Coordinator

I think he meant the 4 book boxed set was out of print. Sorry I wasn't more specific.

16. David Lambert

Well, at the same site, it explains Alick Rowe's changes to the script, the things he adds out of whole clothe, and the reasons why anything was changed at all. Makes sense when you read it.
    As I said, I never worried about the changes. Same as I take, for instance, a film based on a Stephen King novel and judge the film on its own merits, I have always done the same with Tripods. First and foremost, forget the book and ask yourself: "Is this feature any good?" If the answer is "yes", then sit back and enjoy it. [​IMG]
    I sure have, and always will. Not every story can be brought to the screen - big or little - as faithfully as Harry Potter was.
    Here is the site I took the quotes from, by the way.

17. Derek Baker

Derek Baker Stunt Coordinator

Oh man...i loved this series!!!!

I remember watching these as a kid and being scared to death! I have never read the books thoguh...but the show seemed damn ok to me!

Mmmmm...that R0 DVD of series one looks damn enticing...i love reliving childhood memories!

18. Jeff Kleist

19. David Lambert

(patting myself down)
    Jeff, I left the money in my other suit. [​IMG]

20. Ed Faver

Ed Faver Second Unit

Dave-
    I'm sure the changes from book to TV were done for a good reason. The problem really lies with my 12-year-old son. A voracious reader, he fiercely guards the author's orignal vision and depiction. You should've heard the way he ripped apart the Harry Potter film!! We are about the difference in the media, but he's still very idealistic in a lot of ways. Compromise will come in time. But not too soon, I hope! [​IMG]