wanted: super cheap reciever

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by PeterK, Jul 31, 2004.

1. PeterK

PeterK Supporting Actor

I am looking for a really cheap crappy reciever that I can put with my lousy downstairs setup. All it needs to have is dolby digital 5.1 nothing else. no dts or fancy sound augmenting settings. what is the cheapest reciever I can get.
    thanks

2. Robert Cowan

Robert Cowan Supporting Actor

goto best buy, get the cheapest.

time = money [​IMG]

should be around $100 or so. if you are looking for complete crap, i would be more concerned about the lost time and effort spent researching than the money.

3. Kevin_Breeze

Kevin_Breeze Second Unit

it doesnt have to be that crappy, look on ebay and for refurbs, you can actually get something semi decent

4. Kevin_Breeze

Kevin_Breeze Second Unit

5. George J

George J Auditioning

Yamaha HTR-5630 is a 70w per channel 5.1 receiver with PL-II. It can be had for about $140-146. Its pretty good for the price.

6. Jeff Hipps

Jeff Hipps Stunt Coordinator

I believe you'll see a low priced Sherwood 5.1 Dolby Digital/DTS receiver in Circuit Cities ad this weekend.

7. ShaunLB

ShaunLB Stunt Coordinator

I'll be honest with you, my friend bought the KLH 5.1 receiver from BB ($100) and it totally happy with it...yes its options are basic and it looks/feels cheap, but it does perform quite well. I'm not trading in my yammie for one, but for $100, its better than it should be.

8. PeterK

PeterK Supporting Actor

BB?
    (best buy?)

9. ShaunLB

ShaunLB Stunt Coordinator

Correct, BB = Best Buy. CC = Circuit City ...just FYI

10. Kevin_Breeze

Kevin_Breeze Second Unit

I don't know even for a high school kid we are not talking big bucks here, a mere $80 more for that Denon as opposed to the KLH is more than well worth it IMO. Sherwood is also good for the $$ if you only want new as opposed to refurb.

Did you decide on anything yet?

11. Jeff Hipps

Jeff Hipps Stunt Coordinator

Sherwood's RD-6105 with Dolby Digital, DTS, DPL II, all discrete amps; 100 W x 5 was in today's Circuit City ad for $129.95 after $20.00 rebate.

Jeff

12. allanSAN

allanSAN Auditioning

Gotta agree with shawnLB. The KLH is a GREAT buy. A buddy of mine bought one and loves it. 100Wx5, good features and easy to use. BB for $99.00. Can't get any more buget then that!

13. JonathanL

JonathanL Extra

Try ecost.com. They have the Onkyo HT-R410 for $110, which I have, it's a great receiver for the price. Not the best remote, but the sound quality isn't bad at all. There's also two low-end Denon models for around $130. They are really both the same model receiver.

14. ChristopherDAC

ChristopherDAC Producer

I am very happy with the Sherwood RD-6018 which I bought. It has a feature few other items in its price range can boast: a real power switch. Besides "standby" it has a front-panel control which actually disconnects the power. Can't beat that! [​IMG]

15. Andrew Laksana

Andrew Laksana Auditioning

Hello,

That AVR-484 from ecost sounds interesting. Please pardon my ignorance, but I've never heard Denon AVR-xxx (three digits series). So far I've only known their AVR-x80x series and those are the only one available at my local store (the good guys). What is the difference between the 3 digits and the 4 digits series? Any kind of info is appreciated.

16. kevitra

kevitra Second Unit

The Denon model numbers change depending on where you purchase it. I have one local dealer that sells the 3805 while the other sells the ### (don't know the model number, but it is a 3805).

My understanding is they do that so you can't price match since they are not the same.

17. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

Highly recommend the Sherwood RD-6108.

As for Denon, the AVR-XXX series are sold at places like Sears, when they used to carry stereo components. The AVR-X80X series are carried by more specialized retailers, like The Good Guys. Also, power ratings are rated differently....with the AVR-XXX getting the higher numbers (rated at 1K Hz instead of across the audible spectrum of 20 - 20K Hz). Done to fool J6P??

Yamaha does the same the same with its HTR and V series. There's a page on Yamaha's website explaining the difference.