Wanted: Sheena Widescreen

Discussion in 'Media Classifieds' started by Grant H, Feb 2, 2005.

1. Grant H

Grant H Cinematographer

If anyone has an original widescreen Sheena DVD they would sell at a reasonable price, please let me know.

This DVD has become the bane of my existence. I have returned FS versions that were supposed to be WS at least four times now counting the one I now have to mail back. I was supposed to get a refund, and instead I got a shiny new Full-screen copy.

Arrggh!![​IMG]

2. alan halvorson

alan halvorson Cinematographer

Are you certain there even is one? So far as I know, there was only one release of this title and it was full-screen. I know that DVD Price Seach says it's letterbox, but they're not always correct.

3. Grant H

Grant H Cinematographer

Yes. Originally it contained a 2.35:1 anamorphic widescreen version and a full screen version. One on each side I presume. It's one of many titles that Columbia Tr-Star phased out the WS/FS version for FS only.

Titles I own the original icarnation of that they did this with off the top of my head:

Last Action Hero
    Johnny Mnemonic.

There's a thread somwhere on the forum listing all of them. It's a BIG list.

4. alan halvorson

alan halvorson Cinematographer

This fascinates me; I don't know why. I found a couple retailers (Digital Eyes, DVD Planet) that say they have the WS/FS version in stock. Which retailers have you tried? Also, there are at least three Ebay auctions right now that claim they're selling the WS/FS version. All pretty cheap too. I'd e-mail and ask if they're certain the WS is included on their copies.

To tell the truth, this title couldn't have been a big seller, certainly not a large enough one to have merited two versions. I see no reason why Columbia would redo and re-release the disc without the WS when the world wasn't clamoring for Sheena. Unless you know for certain (as in - you've actually seen and played the disc, or know someone who has), I suggest there never was a WS version.

5. Grant H

Grant H Cinematographer

I've emailed a variety of ebay and Half.com sellers. All have FS so far, regardless of the listing. They just post the specs from the back of the box from the initial release. They've all been copying and pasting it since then.

Same goes for Deep Discount DVD and Amazon.com.

The WS and FS to FS-only switcheroo has become pretty common with bargain-bin CTS titles. It makes J6P satisfiers like Wal-Mart and K-Mart very happy...and pisses off people like me.

It looks like there was a very limited run of the widescreen release.

There are DVD reviews out there praising the beauty of the scenery in the 2.35:1 scope version, so there must have been some initially.

Just checked Digital Eyes. They list only the 1.33:1 version. I'll email DVD Planet which still lists the scope version.

6. Grant H

Grant H Cinematographer

The response from DVD Planet:

Unfortunately the widescreen version has been discontinued by the studio and we can only carry the fullscreen version. Try amazon or ebay.

-DVDPlanet

[​IMG]

7. Grant H

Grant H Cinematographer

Amazingly, two of these have slipped through my fingers.

Someone had one for sale on Amazon, but I already had a bid for one on eBay I thought I'd surely win.

Well, I was outbid, and the widescreen copy on Amazon was sold by the time the auction ended.

Arrgh.

8. Randy B A

Randy B A Supporting Actor

I can check the used store in my area. I found a copy of the Fan WS/FS recently. That is another of the DVDs they changed to FS only.

I will let you know in a couple of days if I can find one.

9. Charlie Campisi

Charlie Campisi Screenwriter

This thread is killing me! [​IMG] Grant, please do me the favor of keeping track of how much time you've spent looking for this dvd. Then, after you find it, keep track of how many hours you spend watching it. Post when the watching time exceeds the searching time! I wonder if you'll hit that point before the WS version is re-released? For your mental health, I hope so. Webster is going to have to include this thread with the definition of "obsession" or "hobby." [​IMG] I'm only busting on you, buddy, because we've all been there. Good luck finding the holy grail. [​IMG]

10. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Must.......have.......Sheena.......

[​IMG]

We all have been there, indeed! [​IMG]

I wish I knew where there was a copy so I could help out, Grant! Believe me, I'm keeping my eyes peeled at all the used shops I prowl.

11. Grant H

Grant H Cinematographer

I appreciate the interest in what started as a throwaway purchase for around $6.

I haven't done much digging lately. I'll have to get back on the stick.