Wanted: opinions on "Guadalcanal Diary" and "Hell is for Heroes"

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Edwin-S, Apr 8, 2002.

1. Edwin-S

Edwin-S Producer
    Supporter

I do not remember ever seeing these films. I was thinking of picking up these movies but I would like some opinions. What do you think of the stories? Are they similar in tone to films like "Porkchop Hill" or are they "cheesy" like "The Green Berets"? How is the transfer quality? I could take a chance on Gaudalcanal Diary because it is only about $20 Canadian but Hell is for Heroes is quite a bit more expensive at $35. I don't want to spend that kind of money if the movie is going to make me cringe like The Green Berets does. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    Edwin,

Both movies and dvds are very good! Steve McQueen gives one of his best performances in "Hell is for Heroes" as a soldier who enjoys combat just a little too much. Good action film with a message. Now, "Guadalcanal Diary" was a movie made and released early in WWII. It's a film about the United States first invasion of an island occupied by Japanese forces. Dialogue is typical of 1940's jargon with jingoistic and propaganda tone throughout which should be expected considering at that time, the world was in the middle of blowing each other up. A good action film.

The difference in price is indicative of the pricing structure of Columbia versus Fox about catelogue dvd releases.

Crawdaddy

3. Brad Vautrinot

Brad Vautrinot Stunt Coordinator

I have to agree with Crawdaddy's assessment and would only add that director Lew Sieler filmed Guadalcanal Diary in a semi-documentary style which didn't quite work as well as hoped for. However, I enjoyed both of these movies.

4. Edwin-S

Edwin-S Producer
    Supporter

Thanks for the responses. I may pick up Hell is for Heroes first and Guadalcanal Diary at a later date.
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    The difference in price is indicative of the pricing structure of Columbia versus Fox about catelogue dvd releases.
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    I can't understand Columbia's reasoning for such high pricing for catalogue releases. People have a tendency to go for new releases over older films at the best of times and high pricing just causes people to overlook older films even more, especially if the movie is not generally known as a "classic".....Godfather as an example.
    It took me a hellalong time to finally buy a copy of Damn the Defiant because it was not a film I had a lot memory of. It had a $34.95 Canadian price tag. I kept waiting for it to drop in price because it didn't seem to be attracting interest from anyone but it never did go down. I finally broke down and bought it. Good period film which you don't see a lot of nowadays. The transfer was okay but it seemed like they could have done some cleaning up to improve the presentation, still an excellent movie.
    I would like to get some of their other titles like Funeral in Berlin but that $35.00 price tag tends to stop me, especially if I'm not completely familiar with the film. I have bought quite a few titles that I have never seen or don't remember seeing just from reading people's views of them here. A lower price tag just makes the decision to pick up an unknown title easier. I could rent but a lot of older titles like Hell is for Heroes are not stocked by rental stores because of the previously mentioned tendency for people to rent what is "new".

5. Edwin-S

Edwin-S Producer
    Supporter

As an addition, any other opinions would still be appreciated.

6. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

7. Michael Warner

Michael Warner Supporting Actor

"Hell is for Heroes" is a Paramount release, not Columbia TriStar and Amazon is selling it for $14.99 as of this week so your timing for asking about the film is very good.

I appreciate both films but "Hell is for Heroes" takes what in retrospect is a much more realistic look at war and I watch it more often than I do "Guadalcanal Diary."

8. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert