WANTED: Kurosawa's Dreams

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ben Tallen, Aug 15, 2001.

1. Ben Tallen

Ben Tallen Agent

In the name of all that is good and digitally enhanced, does anyone know if there are any plans to release Akira Kurosawa's "Dreams" on DVD at any time? It is truly a wonderful film and I cannot even stoop to buying it on VHS because it costs $100 for some reason. Help me Home Theater Forum members, you're my only hope.
    Ben Tallen
    ------------------
    ________
    "The Mob is run by murdering, thieving, lying, cheating psychopaths. We work for the President of the United States of America."

2. alan halvorson

alan halvorson Cinematographer

Cost $100 new or goes for $100 on Ebay? Interesting either way. The LD can be had for much less on Ebay - got an LD player?
    As to your main question - this has been asked many times. I haven't heard a thing. Wished I had.
    ------------------
    They're coming to take me away, ha-haaa!!
    They're coming to take me away, ho-ho, hee-hee, ha-haaa To the funny farm. Where life is beautiful all the time and I'll be happy to see those nice young men in their clean white coats and they're coming to take me away, ha-haaa!!!!!
    - Napoleon XIV

3. Ben Tallen

Ben Tallen Agent

Don't have an LD player. I get a price of $92.99 from Amazon. Now granted I haven't looked everywhere but my girlfriend has searched for this title before and came up with a similar dollar amount. The used price is $42 on Amazon but I was kind of hoping for new (and cheaper than $42 as well).
    ------------------
    ________
    "The Mob is run by murdering, thieving, lying, cheating psychopaths. We work for the President of the United States of America."

4. soop.spoon

soop.spoon Supporting Actor

After all the great announcements in the past few months, this film has moved up to my top 3 most wanted discs. I believe Warner owns it... so who knows when (if ever) it'll show up on DVD.
    I'd pay top dollar for the last sequence alone in all it's widescreen glory.

5. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Warner owns it, it's one of those titles I always bring up when someone says "Everything goes sell-through". It never left rental pricing, and the widescreen subbed copy taped from TCM got mangled in the VCR, *sniff*
    Wurd has it that Criterion is trying to snag all of Kurosawa's work, so hopefully they'll wrest it from AOL oppression
    Jeff Kleist

6. Sam Hatch

Sam Hatch Stunt Coordinator

$100 for "Dreams" on VHS?! Ouch!
    I'd give you guys some dubs from the LD, but that's naughty.
    Bring on a Criterion DVD!
    ------------------
    "Negative. I am a meat popsicle."

7. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

This movie is on my most-wanted list too. Come on Warner, you owe us!
    ------------------
    [​IMG]
    "Death's at the bottom of everything, Martins - leave death to the professionals!"
    "Mind if I use that line in my next Western?"