1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Wanted: GUNSMOKE (CBS/1955-1975)

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by JohnHopper, Feb 1, 2019.

1. Dan McW

Dan McW Supporting Actor

Dan
    I just watched another great episode from S17, "Drago," with mountain man Buddy Ebsen (and his dog, "Hound") chasing down killer Ben Johnson.

ponset, Jeff Flugel and Flashgear like this.
  2. The Obsolete Man

The Obsolete Man Producer

Robert
    I've hit my Gunsmoke wall after season 8.

Time for a break. Maybe watch The Good Place since it's finally complete, hear some good S20 news soon, and then back to Dodge.

Jeff Flugel and Flashgear like this.
  3. Message #463 of 579 Jan 31, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2020
    JohnHopper

JohnHopper Screenwriter

John Hopper
    Well, let’s continue our exploration of Gunsmoke! I come out of The Long Branch and walk down the streets of Dodge City and my next stop is… season 16 and as Matt Dillon used to say to his opponents: “Hold it right there”.

GUNSMOKE • SEASON 16 (1970-1971) (24 episodes • 50 mins • color)
    It’s the first Seventies era season that only contains twenty four episodes and that format will continue until the last season and, from now on, guest characters appear with longer hair and a savage look. The riding fast in the prairie opening title sequence remains as in season 14.

Find the usual directors like former Gunsmoke producer Philip Leacock, the brothers McEveety (Bernard and Vincent), actor-director Robert Totten and one Wild Wild West artisan: Swedish-born actor Gunnar Hellström. A newcomer pops up: actor William Conrad, known for his radio version of the series and for the leading part in Cannon. Director Robert Totten also works as an actor: see “Gentry’s Law”, “Captain Sligo” and “Cleavus”.

Two previous guest characters return: Sergeant Holly in “Sgt. Holly” and uncle Titus in “Tycoon”. Find the first appearance of Judge Brooker in “The Witness” and will continue until the last season. Initiated from season 9 and last seen during season 13, find the return of the two-part episodes: “Snow Train” and “Pike”.

Composers are reduced to two names: Leon Klatzkin, Johnny Parker.

PRODUCTION TEAM
    producers: Joseph Dackow and Leonard Katzman
    executive producer: John Mantley
    post production executive: Ron Honthaner
    executive story consultant: Calvin Clements
    assistant story consultant: Paul F. Edwards
    directors of photography: Monroe Askins and Charles F. Wheeler

The team is renewed: producer Joseph Dackow will be replaced from episode #14 (“Sgt. Holly”) by Leonard Katzman returning from The Wild Wild West (as an associate producer) and Hawaii Five-O (as a season 2 producer) and assistant story consultant Jim Byrnes is replaced by Paul F. Edwards. On the whole, Dackow’s output is stronger than Katzman’s one. Director of photography Monroe Askins is replaced once by returning from season 12 Charles F. Wheeler in “Murdoch”. Executive producer John Mantley brings his relatives in some episodes: his daughter Marie and his son Jon Jason in “The Gun” and “Pike”.

CAST OF CHARACTERS
    Regular cast: James Arness (Matt Dillon), Ken Curtis (Festus), Milburn Stone (Doc), Amanda Blake (Kitty), Buck Taylor (Newly).

supporting cast: Glenn Strange (Bartender/Fiddle player “Sam” Noonan), Ted Jordan (Freight agent “Nathan” Burke), Woodrow Chambliss (Woody Lathrop).

Actor James Nusser (wino “Louie” Pheeters) left the series at the end of season 15.

As usual, the strength of season 16 is the colorful guest actors that add weight to the story: see John Anderson, Richard Basehart, John Beck, Eric Braeden, David Brian, David Carradine, Jim Davis (2), Jack Elam, Dana Elcar, Gene Evans, Steve Ihnat, Richard Kiley, Vera Miles, Ricardo Montalban, Harry Morgan, Jeanette Nolan, Tim O’Connor, John Payne, Slim Pickens, Robert Pine, Suzanne Pleshette, Albert Salmi, Tom Skerritt, Morgan Woodward, Anthony Zerbe.

THE DVD SET
    The prints are restored and look wonderful. In each episode and at the end of the first set of end credits, a voice-over announcer introduces the next week trailer. It features separated from the episodes and unrestored next week trailers and, also, English subtitles. Above all, it offers a 14 minutes discussion called Ben and Beckey Talk Gunsmoke: Season 16 in which the two hosts highlight a selection of season 16 episodes with specific guest actors—it’s intended for the newbies only. Ben and Beckey are Gunsmoke experts: Ben Costello (Gunsmoke: An American Institution: Celebrating 50 Years of Television’s Best Western) and Beckey Burgoyne (Perfectly Amanda, Gunsmoke’s Miss Kitty: To Dodge and Beyond).

4. JohnHopper

JohnHopper Screenwriter

John Hopper
    Find some relevant production onscreen credits.

gun16_prod01.
    gun16_prod02.
    gun16_prod03. gun16_prod04.
    gun16_klatzkin. gun16_parker.

Jeff Flugel and bmasters9 like this.
  5. bmasters9

bmasters9 Producer

Ben Masters
    I think also that this is the first of the Gunsmoke releases to have any meaningful sort of bonus (outside of the episode promos that were part and parcel of many of the others).

Flashgear, Jeff Flugel and JohnHopper like this.
  6. JohnHopper

JohnHopper Screenwriter

John Hopper

¶ Next on Gunsmoke season 16, the reviews of the first disc and starting on Monday 3!
    ¶ Load your guns and be ready!

gun16_menu01.

Jeff Flugel and bmasters9 like this.
  7. JohnHopper

JohnHopper Screenwriter

John Hopper
    GUNSMOKE SEASON 16

Episode #1
    “The Noose”
    written by Arthur Browne, Jr.
    directed by Vincent McEveety
    music by Johnny Parker
    guests: Tom Skerritt, William Fawcett

A young rider named Fred Garth (actor Tom Skerritt) enters the windy ghost town of Dodge Town—the first location of Dodge City—and has a traumatic flash of memory that shows the hanging of his father. Garth meets an old whino named Nebs (actor William Fawcett), questions him and bans him from the place by using force: hit him in the ear with the bullet from his handgun. Garth installs a hanging rope in front of the blacksmith shop and leaves. At night, Garth stops at Dodge City, talks to Burke and Festus who informs him that Dillon is out of town, steps into the Long Branch and orders a bottle of whiskey and, later, asks Woody to open up his general store to prepare a picnic and orders Hank to park a buggy in the back door of the Long Branch. Garth resumes to the Long Branch to buy two bottles of Champagne, threatens and abducts Miss Kitty. Arriving at the old Dodge, Miss Kitty runs away but Garth catches her back and locks her in the cell of the sheriff’s office filled with cobwebs. At the marshal’s office, Doc and Sam tell Festus about unusual events that includes Hank delivering a buggy next to the Long Branch. Festus rides to the old town and is held prisoner. Garth returns to the new Dodge and traps Doc to follow him back to the old place. Dillon resumes to Dodge City and meets Newly who points him the direction of the old town where he undergoes the past fate of Garth …

It’s a very good nostalgic revenge tale with a good build-up and an open ending that is served by the bitter sweet existential performance of actor Tom Skerritt playing a spider trapping its flies and Johnny Parker’s tense and macabre score that includes bells. The character of Garth manages to imprison the four leading characters and Doc becomes the scapegoat by default. Guest actor Tom Skerritt used to play in a similar kidnapper story entitled “The Jailer” during season 12. In a way, that entry makes a good companion to the season 11 “The Avengers” because in both Dillon is hit in the leg and two of the leads are held prisoner and fail to be hanged by the neck. That kind of haunted man undergoing memory lane is a reminder of previous episodes (the season 15 “Stryker”, the season 14 “Lyle’s Kid”, the season 13 “The Prodigal”, the season 10 “Jonah Hutchinson”). The ethereal prologue is well-made and features editing tricks, i.e. quick shots of the past hanging intercut with the grim face of Garth.

Actor Tom Skerritt returns from the season 12 “The Jailer” and “Moonstone” and William Fawcett from the season 14 “The Judas Gun”.

Jeff Flugel and Flashgear like this.
  8. JohnHopper

JohnHopper Screenwriter

John Hopper

Fred Garth (actor Tom Skerritt).
    noose_01. noose_02. noose_03. noose_04. noose_05. noose_06. noose_07. noose_08. noose_09. noose_10. noose_11. noose_12. noose_13. noose_14.

ponset, Flashgear and Jeff Flugel like this.
  9. Message #469 of 579 Feb 3, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2020
    ClassicTVMan1981X

ClassicTVMan1981X Screenwriter

Benjamin
    I hope the Season 20 DVD situation does not end up on the same route as when Al Jean, who worked on The Simpsons, posited back in 2015 that there would be no more DVDs available for that series following the release of season 17.

I mean, if ViacomCBS via Paramount Home Entertainment truly admits season 19 will be the last DVD release of Gunsmoke, then it would be both staggering and unacceptable. I can understand why, given that DVD is a dying trend, but these boxsets are among the bestselling in terms of TV westerns. Can we try to remedy this in any way, like through a petition or getting some buzz amongst the Gunsmoke fanbase, to change this? As a fan of the series, I feel like suddenly ending the sale of Gunsmoke after season 19 is the same as suddenly stopping the sale of all home media of James Bond 007 or like stopping the sale of all Beatles CDs. Gunsmoke is far too great as both a program and an outright institution for it not to be on any physical media for both loyal fans and the future. Thank you all for your time!

~Ben

GMBurns, Jeff Flugel and bmasters9 like this.
  10. bmasters9

bmasters9 Producer

Ben Masters
    That is very true-- surely they ought have seen the writing on the wall in terms of how the seasonal releases (both varieties, volumes and singles) sold like hotcakes, classic as Gunsmoke has ever been, and ever will be! If they say something like what you think they'll say, that (IMO) will veritably be a slap in the face to the fans!

Jeff Flugel likes this.
  11. Dan McW

Dan McW Supporting Actor

Dan
    I just finished the great three-parter "The Bullet" (a.k.a. "Gold Train"). Wonderful juxtaposition of the main cast (with Doc Adams returning to the series), the main villain (Eric Braeden), his gutter trash (led by Robert Sorrells, Mills Watson, Sam Melville, Eddie Firestone, and Jonathan Lippe), the priest (Alejandro Rey), the ladies (Katherine Justice and a very young Sian Barbara Allen), the soldiers (commanded by Robert Hogan), the train crew (engineer Harry Carey Jr. and conductor Warren Kemmerling), and the train itself, stopped in the middle of nowhere on the way to Denver.

There were so many people in the cast that they rearranged the ending theme a little to add a few seconds for more credits.

Part three has an early scene with Kitty, and a great closing line by Matt, that is arguably the best in the entire series. You'll know what I mean after you watch it.

12. LouA

LouA Screenwriter

Lou Antonicello
    I was notified by Amazon that season 19 is on it's way to me . One more season to go !

13. JohnHopper

JohnHopper Screenwriter

John Hopper
    GUNSMOKE SEASON 16

Episode #2
    “Chato”
    written by Paul F. Edwards
    directed by Vincent McEveety
    music by Johnny Parker
    guests: Ricardo Montalban, Miriam Colon, Peggy McCay, William Bryant, Rodolfo Hoyos Jr., Robert Knapp, Pedro Regas, Jim Sheppard

Up on the hills, in the wilderness, half-breed Cheyenne renegade Chato (actor Ricardo Montalban) is hunted down by two lawmen named Cooter (actor William Bryant) and Case (actor Jim Sheppard) that he eventually guns down like rabbits. Matt Dillon pays his respect to Beth (actress Peggy McCay), the widow of Marshal Dan Cooter. Dillon rides to the border and meets a Mexican informer named Juanito (actor Rodolfo Hoyos Jr.) who prepares him a horse with supplies. Dillon continues the search and stops by the village of El Pozo del Infierno (The Well of Hell) to question an old man (actor Pedro Regas) about Chato. Dillon stops next at the cabin of Mora (actress Miriam Colon), the outcast girlfriend of Chato, located in the Sangre de Cristo (the blood of Christ) Mountains, and leaves and uses her as a bait to catch Chato. Later on and after the attack of the Jicarillas, a truce is agreed between the two men because of Mora’s bullet wound. In the very end, the fight continues …

It’s a solo Dillon adventure outside of the US territory and another very good entry that has a cinematic scale thanks to the scenery that is again served by a good guest actor (Ricardo Montalban) and a fine score by Johnny Parker whose arrangements remind his sole Wild Wild West score: “The Night of the Spanish Curse”. One cunning detail to notice: Chato always keeps a close eye on Dillon. Find a funny moment between Dillon and Mora about the canteen. The script is penned by assistant story consultant Paul F. Edwards. This episode shares the same theme of the running renegade Indian as the season 15 “The War Priest”. The character of Chato will be exploited in a 1972 movie entitled Chato’s Land directed by Michael Winner and starring Charles Bronson in the title role.

Actors Miriam Colon (“Charlie Noon”) and Pedro Regas (“The Cage”) return from season 15.

Actor William Bryant from the season 12 “Quaker Girl”, Robert Knapp from the season 14 “Time of the Jackals”, Peggy McCay from the season 3 “Bottleman”.

Chato’s Land Official Trailer (1972)

14. Dan McW

Dan McW Supporting Actor

Dan
    Just watched season 17's "No Tomorrow, and James Nusser appears as Louie unbilled.

15. Flashgear

Flashgear Screenwriter

Randall
    I have Gunsmoke seasons 18 and 19 on order with Amazon Canada since January, and expected to have them in hand by the original release day of February 11th. That was the case with my seasons 16 and 17. But for whatever reason, Amazon Canada has informed me that they are delayed, even though the release day has since been moved up to February 4th. I'm getting them at a very good price (they would actually cost me more through Amazon.com, considering our currency exchange rates, and my Prime delivery is only valid in Canada), so it's not that big of a concern. I look forward to hearing about them from you guys who get them sooner.

In watching seasons 16 and 17 for the first time since first run, it really is remarkable that this series has held up to the standard of excellence set during the many great past seasons.

JohnHopper and Doug Wallen like this.
  16. Mr. Handley

Mr. Handley Supporting Actor

Paul
    Wow, you're WAY ahead of me now! I just watched the Season 15 episode Dr. Herman Schultz MD. Was looking forward to it, since some here mentioned they liked it. I thought it was just okay. The "mesmerizing" gimmick is so hokey, that I just couldn't get into it. I'm a big Festus fan, so that made the episode mildly entertaining. I also found it hard to believe that the main characters acted like the didn't even know Doc's first name, after all these years. What did they think the "G" on his sign stood for anyway???

Jeff Flugel likes this.
  17. JohnHopper

JohnHopper Screenwriter

John Hopper
    ¶ I do like it because of the light con man leaning. This is how I feel.​

Jeff Flugel and Mr. Handley like this.
  18. JohnHopper

JohnHopper Screenwriter

John Hopper
    GUNSMOKE SEASON 16

Episode #3
    “Stark”
    written by Donald Sanford
    directed by Robert Totten
    music by Leon Klatzkin
    guests: Richard Kiley, Shelly Novack, Henry Wilcoxon, Suzanne Pleshette, Rusty Lane, Bob Burrows

A young rider named Adam Bramley (actor Shelly Novack) stops in the middle of a pond to get some water when, at a remote distance, a mysterious man, armed with a rifle equipped with a sight, observes him and fires four specific bullets to scare him off. The marksman is bounty hunter Lewis Stark (actor Richard Kiley), yells and orders Bramley to drop his gun and surrender. Stark rides close to Bramley and throws him out a pair of handcuffs to carry but he reacts against him which leads to a violent kick. Bramley negociates a bargain of $1000 to get free and avoid the jailhouse and will ask the payment to his father. At night, both men go get a drink at the Long Branch where Bramley learns from Miss Kitty that his father undergoes a severe horse accident at his ranch. Both men leaves the place and bump into Dillon. The family reunion is terrible and Bramley can’t obtain the money from his bitter father John (actor Henry Wilcoxon) and ends up with a furious fight. Bramley asks his manservant Bo (actor Rusty Lane) to call Doc because his father has had a heart attack. The morning after, Glory Bramley (actress Suzanne Pleshette) pays a visit to her father and learns that her brother has a $1000 debt to Stark that she abhors and decides to pay the tab but Stark tries to blackmail and abuse her so she counterattacks and sends her drovers to teach him a good and hard lesson. Stark is escorted back to Dodge City but continues his blackmail and orders Adam Bramley to get $5000.

It’s an engrossing harsh family drama with a wife-less father that rejects his children paired with a sordid blackmailer bounty hunter sub story. Actor Richard Kiley plays a picturesque and worn out character of a bounty hunter carrying little medical spectacles (half black, half clear). The ensemble of actors is very good: Richard Kiley, Shelly Novack, Suzanne Pleshette, Henry Wilcoxon. As in “The Noose”, the prologue is strong.

Actors Bob Burrows returns from the season 15 “A Matter of Honor” and Rusty Lane returns from the season 11 “Seven Hours to Dawn”.

Flashgear and Jeff Flugel like this.
  19. JohnHopper

JohnHopper Screenwriter

John Hopper

Bounty hunter Lewis Stark (actor Richard Kiley).
    stark_01. stark_02. stark_03. stark_04. stark_05. stark_06. stark_07. stark_08. stark_09. stark_10.

20. JohnHopper

JohnHopper Screenwriter

John Hopper
    GUNSMOKE SEASON 16

Episode #4
    “Sam McTavish, M.D.”
    written by Gerry Day and Bethel Leslie
    directed by Bernard McEveety
    music by Johnny Parker
    guests: Vera Miles, Arch Johnson, Lisa Gerritsen, Dee Carroll, Amzie Strickland, Tom Fadden, Kathleen O’Malley, Harry Harvey, Read Morgan, Robert Rothwell, Lance Thomas, Glenn Redding

A lady from St. Louis named Sam McTavish (actress Vera Miles) riding a buggy stops cold when she sees a dead squirrel that is touched by a dog and resumes her course when she stops at a miserable country neighborhood to ask her way to Dodge City to a weak pregnant woman named Ellen Bascomb (actress Dee Carroll) boiling some water. Witnessing the poor condition of Ellen, Sam McTavish introduces herself as a medical doctor and tries to help but her husband Barn Bascomb (actor Arch Johnson) refuses as well as all men and the children of the woman beg her to examine their sick dog named Esmeralda when she sees again a dead squirrel and warns them to clean up the place. She is forced to leave on the spot. Arriving at the office of Doc, Sam McTavish introduces herself when Festus and Doc look puzzled. Sam McTavish faces again the prejudiced of her sex and Doc refuses to leave and breaks his agreement of replacement. She threatens to sue Doc, leaves and heads to the Dodge House. Later at the Long Branch, the usual team (Dillon, Doc, Festus, Miss Kitty) meet the she doctor Sam that Dillon welcomes. Sam mentions to Doc that Judge Brooker states the agreement is legal. That night and after having a dinner at Delmonicos’, Sam and her new three friends (Dillon, Kitty, Festus) meet Barn Bascomb complaining about his wife and still refuses that Sam takes care of her. Dillon suggests her to see the Bascomb’s escorted by Festus to ease the situation. After a success at the Bascomb’s, she discovers a disease that strikes all dogs and its offsprings meanwhile Doc challenges her to test her people appeal. The next day, Christina (actress Lisa Gerritsen), the kid of the Bascomb’s, suffers from an unknown disease and Sam is obliged to quarantine the house and orders the people’s neighborhood to clean up and burn the trash of the place. Furthermore, Doc orders Dillon to seal off Dodge City because it might be a case of bubonic plague …

It’s a touching sad love story and a Doc entry disguised as a criticism on prejudiced over woman paired with the theme of the plague in which actress Vera Miles shines as Doc’s committed contender. As in the season 15 “Doctor Herman Schultz, M.D.”, find another episode title that ends with a M.D. and that features a maverick doctor.

Actors Arch Johnson returns from the season 12 “The Mission”, Tom Fadden from the season 10 “Run, Sheep, Run”, Harry Harvey from the season 14 “9:12 to Dodge”, Read Morgan (“Morgan”) and Robert Rothwell (“The Pack Rat”) from season 15.

Actresses Lisa Gerritsen returns from the season 14 “The Twisted Heritage”, Kathleen O’Malley from the season 12 “Whispering Tree”, Amzie Strickland from the season 10 “The Violators”.

Flashgear likes this.