What's new

Wanted: First pressing of Steely Dan *Aja* on CD. Please read! (1 Viewer)

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
I am looking for a first pressing of Steely Dan Aja on CD. The CD I am looking for will have a catalog number of MCAD-37214 and the CD will say "Manufactured in Japan". If you have this CD and are willing to sell it, please let me know.

Also, if you have this CD and a digital camera, could you e-mail me a picture of the label side of the CD? My e-mail address is [email protected] . Finally, I can send immediate payment by PayPal.

Thanks for reading! :)

bsnelson

Auditioning
OK, I'll bite: What's significant about this CD? I've got one that I've had for many years; it's the right catalog number, but it's not made in Japan. Any chance a really old "made in USA" unit will fit the bill?

Brad

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Brad, the Japanese pressing was the first pressing of Aja. I collect first pressings of CDs made for release in the US. These discs were usually pressed in West Germany or Japan before pressing facilities in the US were online. In the case of Aja, first pressings were made in Japan, not West Germany.

In some cases, first pressings sound better than later remasters because there was no tweaking of the EQ for the first pressing (i.e., a "flat transfer" was done from the master tape for the first pressing). Your copy of Aja is probably an early pressing. I have a very early Columbia House pressing of Aja (no barcode on the back insert) that sounds great. Your disc may represent the same mastering.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Brad, one more thing. The Japanese pressing of Aja is tough to find. The US pressing is far easier to locate.

Wayne Reibold

Stunt Coordinator
I have the whole enchilada and the disc doesn't have as much as a spec of dirt on it. E-mail coming your direction...

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
I still have not found the disc I am looking for. There have been a couple close calls, but the search continues.

James_S

Second Unit
Keith,

After searching through my 2000+ cds for sale or trade. I belive I have it for you Steely Dan - AJA, Manufactured in Japan for MCA. MCAD-37214.

I am currently scanning it and I will email you in a little bit.

James

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks