Wanted Dead or Alive - 1 and Done?

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Michael Alden, May 24, 2006.

1. Michael Alden

Michael Alden Supporting Actor

We are coming up on the one year anniversary of the season 1 release (June 7) and I am wondering if this is a done deal or if we might see the other 2 seasons. I would think that a show with such a big star as Steve McQueen would sell sufficiently to warrant further releases.

2. michael_ks

michael_ks Screenwriter

I'm very much hoping that the last two seasons see a release. I was very impressed by the menus and image transfers on this set--the packaging was another matter.

This was a blind purchase for me and I enjoyed McQueen's performance, the range of guest stars and overall production values. The only obvious thing that is a detractor for me was the use of old music library cues for the scoring. How this show would have benefitted from original scores by Fred Steiner, Goldsmith and others! The fact that they added extras to the S1 set, including a lengthy bio on McQueen gave me hope that the sales would be high enough to warrant releasing the last two seasons.

3. Bob Hug

Bob Hug Screenwriter

A question that I always raise when it comes to a classic/vintage show like “Wanted Dead or Alive” is how available is it in brick & mortar stores? I suspect that there’s a significant portion of the target audience for vintage shows on DVD that are probably not the types that shop online (where it’s fairly easy to find vintage shows), but rather would buy them if they could find them at their local retail outlet. But finding vintage series at brick & mortar stores is often difficult, given limited shelf space at brick & mortar stores. For example, I was never able to find the “Cheyenne” and “F-Troop” TV Favorites discs from Warner at any retail outlet in my area and ended up getting them online because I knew I could get them there as a fall-back and I’ve had mostly positive online shopping experiences. And, if you’re lucky enough to find vintage series at brick & mortar stores, they are very often not restocked when they sell out. I really have no idea as to how well or how poorly “Wanted Dead or Alive” sold, or whether we’ll see further seasons, but it’s my belief that a whole segment of people who might purchase season 1 don’t even know it’s available because of lack of availability at traditional brick & mortar outlets. The next time that you’re at your local Target or Circuit City, just see how many classic shows are available . . . I’m betting that you won’t find too many.

4. michael_ks

michael_ks Screenwriter

The best outlet for finding a wide range of Golden Age/Silver Age shows is Best Buy. In fact, at times I stop in just to browse the classic tv titles I'm wavering on for purchasing to see if the packaging and promo price will entice me to open my wallet.

I was surprised to see a couple of copies of "Wanted" at Wal-Mart recently given that it has been a year since initial release. I was expecting the price to be much lower but it was no lower than what I purchased it for at DDD in '05.

Given the crisp transfers on WDOA, a better than average western from the heyday of tv westerns ('55-'65) and the fact that Steve McQueen was star, I have to believe that sales were decent enough to see the rest of the series through. If not, this bodes ill for possible releases for "Trackdown", "The Rebel", "Wagon Train" and the many other great westerns from that era.

5. Lutz Koch

Lutz Koch Stunt Coordinator

Lutz
    A possible indicator that at least the second season of WDOA will be released might be the fact that it has been out on DVD for quite some time in France (R2), although the price is prohibitive (a whopping 100 Euros!!). Let's keep on hoping...

6. Bob Hug

Bob Hug Screenwriter

Lutz, that's encouraging news; at least it means that transfers are readily available for a region 1 release. However, it probably still comes down to whether or not New Line felt that sales of season 1 met their expectations. I've really enjoyed season 1 and felt that New Line did an excellent job with this release (one of their very few TV-on-DVD releases).

7. michael_ks

michael_ks Screenwriter

I did too, Bob though I always find myself turning down the volume when the "New Line" promo comes on with its disturbingly ominous opening.

Interesting how the R2 releases for the two seasons consist of three volumes apiece--and I complain about a season being divided in half!

I just sent an inquiry to New Line (best I could find), requesting the release of S2 for WDOA. Here is the link:

http://shop.newline.com/contactus.xml