What's new

WANTED: CHAMPAGNE or BLACK (1 Viewer)

David Susilo

Screenwriter
Well, I actually need to find detailed picture of Panasonic RV-91 in both black and champagne colour. I want to compare them before ordering the unit although most probably I will have to go with the black colour.
Also, is there ANYTHING I should know before I'm spending more $$ into my HT? I just bought a house, all of its furniture, a camcorder, 16:9 direct-view TV. So every dollar counts.

Chris-C

Stunt Coordinator
Dave;
I can't help with the colors, but there's a raging debate going on about bass management on the RP 91 if you haven't noticed.
I bought the Champagne, and like the unit very much (bass issues in all).
Congrats on all your purchases!
Chris
------------------

David Susilo

Screenwriter
Well, DVD-A is not so much of an issue to me since there is not a single DVD-A album that I like. At least not yet. Also, my hookup is by feeding the subwoofer with L+R out and filter everything above 80hz using the sub's x-over. So bass management is not an issue for me.
How about the anamorphic upconversion feature (zoom mode?)? Is it comparable to true anamorphic or does it have its artifacts?
Also the CD upsampling. How good is it? Everybody's talking about it without giving any actual description of what is 'good'. Will it yield natural sound (comparable to a true 88.2 Khz) or just gimmicky (like one of those Digital Time Lens and/or Stereo Expander)? Please note I will be using the analog out of the RP91 since my Elite 24TX does not have 88.2Khz sampling DAC.
BTW, my TV is Samsung TSK 3092WF capable of showing 480p with 800 lines of horizontal resolution. Not quite HDTV, just EDTV, but I don't watch off-air program anyways.

Miles_W

Second Unit
David, I'm curious... ( you don't have to answer of course...) what kind of pricing have you received for this unit? and from where...
Miles
------------------
Miles
DarkSide Member since(93)

David Susilo

Screenwriter
Which unit? The Samsung or the Panasonic? I bought the Samsung from Eastview Electronics in Scarborough (phone number available upon request) but I can't give you the price (I got it at dealer's operational cost (wholesale price plus a certain percentage to cover the rent, electricity etc.). Their regular price is $2300 including taxes (if I'm not mistaken).
For the Panasonic, the price is $800 including taxes from the same place but don't forget the $50 Panasonic rebate until mid September 2001.

Chris-C

Stunt Coordinator
Boy I just can't help anybody today!!!!!
I bought the 91 for the DVDA and better picture.
I don't have a HD set yet, but I do have the old Panasonic 50" 16X9 analog widescreen.
So what that means is i'm not able to use the zoom mode on the 91 (it only works with component outputs I believe).
A nice 16x9 HD RPTV will be 0ur next purchase, but I have to wait for my analog 16x9 to die first!!!!!! Curses!
Regards
CC Rider
------------------

David Susilo

Screenwriter
Chris, throwing a rock at your TV may solve your problem
wink.gif

DanG

Stunt Coordinator
How about the anamorphic upconversion feature (zoom mode?)? Is it comparable to true anamorphic or does it have its artifacts? said:
Using a 16 bit 44.1 kHz CD as reference, IMHO upsampling sounds better. As far as "good" goes, we may have two differing interpetations so I won't go there. My observations of upsampling of Classical music can be found here:http://www.hometheaterforum.com/uub/.../040189-2.html

David Susilo

Screenwriter
Thanks for the recommendation, Henry, but I'd like to have the picture so I can make a simulation of what my HT will look like if I buy the Champagne colour. See, the house is not completely built yet. However, I've ordered the rack (in birch), and the TV is in aluminium colour. The rest of the equipments are black and the DVD player can not be placed as a centerpiece, it will be slightly to the right on the third column.
So, any takers on the pictures? please?

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Miles - you have mail.
------------------
Every man is my superior, in that I may learn from him.

Miles_W

Second Unit
Thanks Lou...
Miles
------------------
Miles
DarkSide Member since(93)

Jim Rob

Auditioning
Just ordered mine from PCMall.com for $470 total out the door, should have it by Tuesday via FedEx. I was told the champagne was the only one in stock (40 at that time) but that was what I wanted anyway. If you are interested call 1-800-863-3282 ext. 4286. The salesman is Sam. The model # is DVD-RP91N. Tell him that you got this info from the forum and make him stick to the $470 price. Good luck.

David Susilo

Screenwriter
Jim Rob,
Your price is in US$ right? With import duties etc, the price will still be higher than my $800 Cdn. Also I may have problem with warranty issues.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Just ordered the champagne from ONECALL for
about $475.
------------------
ronbo.jpg

Ronald Epstein (pronounced like the English "Ronald Epstein")
Circa 2000
Home Theater Forum Administrator
All forum questions & to get on our private forum mailing list (new members)... Email: [email protected]
Problems with the webpage or site? Contact WEBMASTER
Email Packy [email protected]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks