Wanted: Broken Motherboards

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Camp, Nov 17, 2002.

1. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

This is probably an odd question: Does anyone know where I can obtain broken (or just discarded) motherboards?

I need a bunch for an art project so cheap (or free) is key here. I only found one on Ebay.

Any ideas?

2. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

Have you tried going to hole-in-the-wall computer shops, and see if they got any broken-down spare parts? They might sell them to you dirt-cheap!

I know that here in Calgary, there are a couple of places that sell ancient PCs (couple of hundred bucks maximum for former-top-of-the-line heavy-duty server machines, for example). They even sold broken mobos and hard drives for dirt cheap.

3. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Go to any place with a big network. At my office we recently threw away 30 old machines in a closet clean out. Many offices have storage areas filled with old machines.

-Vince

4. KyleS

KyleS Screenwriter

As Vince stated a lot of offices throw old machines out or Donate them to local agencies. Checking the local Mom & Pop computer shops will be your best bet. When I was running my shop full time we had a ton of dead, dying, or extremely old motherboards and parts which we would have given away.

KyleS

5. Dave Sabo

Dave Sabo Stunt Coordinator

How many would you need? I'm sure I have at least a handfull laying around that haven't made it into the garbage yet... possibly a stack of them here at work too. Or may have a friend that could dig a few up as well. I'll look into if you'd like.

I'd be happy to send along whatever I have if you handle the shipping.

Email or PM me here.