WANTED: Break-in Opinions

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bri~A, Dec 30, 2002.

1. Bri~A

Bri~A Agent

Ok everyone.. what's your opinions of the best method for breaking in a new set of speakers? Should I use music? movies? If music, what type? (should I use something laid back? or something with more bass to cause some cone movement?) What kind of volume levels? how long should I plan on doing this?

2. Guy Usher

Guy Usher Supporting Actor

If you are going to "bond " with your speakers then do it right with Pink Noise, Paridigm gives or used to give good instructions on break in, basicly what you are doing is loosing up the woofer surrounds.
    I used to run Pink Noise from an old EQ I had for at least 24 hours at a level of about 1 watt place the speakers face to face and hang a towel over them (is noisy) if you dont have pink noise then use white noise from your am or fm tuner turn off any auto tune and lock it between stations where you have that hissing noise, if you must use that. There is a big contraversy over break in on speakers, somew say if it changes after 24 hours what is going to stop it from changing everytime you listen. I think they do sound better as time goes on, some speakers are worse than others, wether you just give them time on material you normally listen to or speed up the process is up to you.
    The reason for Pink Noise is that it has all the frequencys in it so you work out the entire bandwidth. . . .

3. MikePeroni

MikePeroni Stunt Coordinator

I played a nice jazz station to my Energy C5s for 3 or 4 days straight(all night too) at a moderate volume. I like the jazz cuz theres a nice range of highs and lows....

4. Rex Quinn

Rex Quinn Agent

Breaking speakers in is definatly worth it. I just got the Athena Audition setup (AS-B2's for fronts, AS-C1 as centre, and B-1's for surround. I started out with just the B2's and the centre, and played about 6 CD's in their entirity and normal listening levels. I just added the surrounds today and they sounded horrible compared to the fronts, even though i only played 6 CD's on them. The sound was lifless and dull. I just finished playing 4 CD's with the surrounds included and already they're starting to sound better.

Anyway, I'm using Death Metal mainly for breaking them in. I figure it'll give them a very good workout. Cannibal Corpse, Immolation, and Morbid Angel mostly. It's doing the job so far.

5. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

just make sure you can return them if you don't like them. a fairly long thread on this forum can be found here.

6. Miklsan K

Miklsan K Agent

I use a Sheffield Labs/XLO Burn-In CD. It has a variety of test and burn-in tracks, but it has a combination pink noise/warble tone track that seems to work quite well. Guy has the right idea about placing them face to face (almost touching) and covering them with a towel, but I would also recommend wiring one speaker out of phase when you do this. That way, the phase difference cancels out almost all of the bass output and the towel decreases the high frequency output. Crank those suckers up pretty loud, and you should hear almost nothing. That way, you can break your speakers in without going insane!

7. BrianAe

BrianAe Second Unit

For what it's worth, Aperion Audio documentation says that break in can be done with any content at any volume. Any content makes sense to me but I wonder about too light a volume.

8. Peter_A_M

Peter_A_M Stunt Coordinator

If the speakers have been stored in a cold room or outdoors, let them sit in your room for a few hours until all components reach room temperature. If not, hook them up to your existing setup and enjoy the music.

9. Michael R Price

Michael R Price Screenwriter

I found that a noticeable improvement in sound came from playing a loud tone at 18Hz for a few hours. To break-in the suspensions of your woofers, find a tone that makes the woofers move a lot (but not enough to damage them). Wire your speakers out of phase and place them facing each other, so the sound doesn't go anywhere.

Your mileage may vary with this method, and other elements of the system may need break-in as well... just play music and watch movies normally and over time the sound will smooth out and become more coherent (depends on the speaker). My problem was that I wasn't stressing the woofers enough to break them in fully; this was solved with the "sine wave method".