Want to use VGA input on projector, only have component and DVI out. source...

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by DrewHM, Aug 24, 2005.

1. DrewHM

DrewHM Auditioning

I have a Sharp z9000 projector and I want to use the VGA input because that's a straight pass thru and doesn't use any conversions which allows best picture to be attained. I will be feeding it it's native resolution of 1280x720.

I just got the Comcast 6412 which does not have a VGA output, but does have component and DVI. I have looked for component to VGA cables, and found that it won't work unless I buy a $300 converter. Bummer.

I have since found some DVI to VGA cables for relatively cheap. I am not sure what flavor of DVI the 6412 supports, as the website doesn't say. I'm guessing it's DVI-D. This is my first experience with DVI, so I'm not sure on the specs. Maybe I'm just SOL???

Thanks in advance for your help!

Drew

2. ChristopherDAC

ChristopherDAC Producer

Yeah, your best bet is to get a DVI-I to VGA connector adaptor [cheap -- maybe $5] and then just hook up a computer monitor to your ComCast box and see if you have DVI-I support. It's a cheap enough test: if it succeeds, you don't need anything else, and if it fails, you haven't lost anything.

3. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

Only DVI-A (DVI connector but with analog video signal at some of the pins) will work as a DVI output to VGA input connection and then only if the analog video is in RGBHV format (or the projector has a manual selection for YUV aka Y/Pb/Pr via the VGA jack).

Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

4. ChristopherDAC

ChristopherDAC Producer

DVI-I is the connector with both digital and analog signals present: it will work with a VGA adaptor. DVI-A is fairly useless, DVI-D has only digital signals and will require a transcoder. By standard the video present at the analog pins of the DVI-I interface is RGB-HV, in fact exactly identical to the standard VGA-interface signal and supporting all the same extensions. If you have all the pin positions on your DVI output occupied, you know you have DVI-I.

5. DrewHM

DrewHM Auditioning

Well, turns out I have DVI-D. Bummer. So I guess I need a transcoder if I want this to work. Has anyone heard of Petr's HDC2 transcoder? I can't find anything on it, so I'm not sure of the quality.