Want to use 2 speakers as rear channel for 6.1

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by TomDusky, Nov 16, 2004.

1. TomDusky

TomDusky Auditioning

I just bought some JBL E10 speakers to use for side surrounds and rear channel for 6.1. These speakers are rated at 8 Ohms imp. each, and my receiver can only handle a min. of 6 ohms imp. Would it be reccomended to only use one speaker for the rear channel, or use 2 speakers wired in series for the rear channel. I know that the second option would reduce the max output at the rear channel. But I wonder if it would be worth doing? I already have 4 of these speakers and it would allow me to use all of them (2 for side surrounds, and 2 for the rear channel). Thanks, Tom

2. DorianBryant

DorianBryant Screenwriter

I use 2 N24's wired in series with my Panny XR50. I think it works much better than having one center directly behind you. I adjusted the trim level to +6 which allows for a good transition with my surrounds which are N26's.

3. Phil Iturralde

Phil Iturralde Screenwriter

I recommend REF Calibrating your 6.1 setup using Sound & Vision HT Tune-up DVD 6.1 EX Test Tones or your AV Receiver's 6.1 test tones. The end result will equalize your SPL's to be identical @ your 'sweet spot'!

I personally use Dolby Labs DD-EX 6.1 w/dedicated LFE Test Tones.

Six JBL S26's & JBL S-Center

Yamaha RX-V1300

LEVEL MENU

- CENTER:... -7.0
    - R SUR:....... +2.0
    - REAR CT:.. +4.5 (pair wired in-series)
    - L SUR:........ +2.5
    - SWFR:....... -8.5
    SETUP MENU
    - BALANCE:... L & R = 0
    - LFE:....... -11

Phil