Want to upgrade my Grado SR60's H-phones, considering the 125, 225 or 325’s w/no amp?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by John Pine, Jan 28, 2004.

1. John Pine

John Pine Supporting Actor

John Pine
    I will be using my harman kardon AVR-525 receiver with signal from a Denon DVD-2900 for SACD/DVD-A media. I have no plans to buy an amp. I listen mostly to Jazz, Blues, Classical and some Rock. I like the SR60's except they are a little bass thin. Will I be able to tell the difference between the 125's and 325's without an amp? Would the 225's be a good compromise? Any suggestions?

2. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

The 60's require a decent headphone amp to get great bass from them. And the 80, 125, 225 and 325 will be no different. The frequency response graphs on Headroom's site would even indicate you'd find every model above the 60 even more bass thin until you get to the 325 model.

Impedance Comparison Graph

Frequency Response Comparison Graph

3. John Pine

John Pine Supporting Actor

John Pine
    Dustin: Thanks for the links. According to the 2nd graph the SR60's have better bass response than the others. Is that right, or am I reading the graph wrong?

4. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

That's what I'm reading into it. The 325 is the first model that comes back up to the 60's bass frequency response.

However for the cost of the 325 I'd be more inclined to go with the 60, 80, 125 and an AirHead/Total AirHead.

You may also want to consider the Senheisser HD-580 (these phones are also circumaurial which I much prefer to the supra aurial design of the Grados) with one of the above amps. There are also a meriad of DIY headphone amp options. But they require soldering skills, electronics knowledge and some time.

Check http://www.head-fi.org for more research into the subject. It's a forum like this one totally dedicated to headphones.