What's new

Want to start an eBay business selling PCs? (1 Viewer)

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Haha... This reminds me back when I was regularly bargain-hunting for old, used (sometimes even very beat-up) violins/violas (and even a very hard to ship cello) off eBay a dozen or so years ago and refurbishing them for my growing family to use -- and I actually resold (or gave away) an occasional one too. I collected so many instruments (and refurbishing gadgets/tools) that my family started to think I was gonna run my own violin shop out of our house, LOL.

That was fun... and yeah, a bit addictive, haha...

I'm actually a hardcore-ish computer guy (and actually went to a top uni for that field back in the day), but interestingly, never got the itch to do this sorta thing w/ computers (or any other tech stuff) though. I mean... I've resold a few tech items along the way (and made a little bit of $ doing so) and, of course, helped a handful of family/friends/acquaintances w/ their computing needs, but nothing like this though...

_Man_

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
I once worked at a company on Hamilton Avenue in San Jose that was a small defense contractor. When they moved on the buildings were taken over by a startup called eBay. It's as though I'm being haunted by the ghost of my old company.

After my years at Intel I still refer to processors by internal names, e.g. these Dells have a Coffee Lake processor.

Last edited:

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
This is like a gambling addiction. I just bought another one, this time for $68 on eBay. Same thing, seller says no ram or disk, "and no video comes out the ports". :rolleyes:
It arrived today. As I suspected, I put in a SODIMM and turned it on. It passed all the tests, and I then quickly installed Win 10 Pro. The "micro" is an interesting packaging design.

Cost for a decent Win 11 machine:
$68 used 5060 micro
$17 used 8GB DDR4 SODIMM
$21 new-pulled 256GB NVMe SSD
$17 new 90W AC adaptor
$5 new WiFi antenna

So for $128 (plus shipping and sales tax) I got a very powerful Win 11 machine.

Last edited:

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
So far I've bought 6 PCs to run Win 11. I have two clones for regular use with one as a backup. That left 4 that I really didn't need. I gave three to friends but today decided to use the last one as a HT PC. See my post in that forum.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Dang.
I gotta stop going by eBay.
I won an auction today for 3 Optiplex 3060 micros for $200. That's $66 each. I'm going to fit them out cheaply. They come with 8GB RAM but no disk or WiFi.

Optiplex 3060 Micro $66
External PS $10
Used WD Black 500GB disk $10
External WiFi dongle $10

Total cost $96 for a decent Windows 11 machine.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
They all checked out OK. I want to call out a great eBay supplier of used disk drives: harddrivesonly . See https://www.ebay.com/itm/185308822055 A pair of used drives came in at 4K and 6K power-on hours. These were the premium WD Black 500GB 2.5" drives. They were newer than my used Dell PCs. He wants $10 each shipped.

A friend who is a mac guy bought one from me. He has his late father's trust to deal with, and turbotax trust version is only available on the PC. So he needs a contemporary PC to use once a year. He was really happy to pick one up for around $100 with a full Win 11 Pro license. For another $20 I put in an almost new SK Hynix NVMe SSD for him at his request as he was paying.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks