Want to spend $300 for a sub HSU or Outlaw

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Dennis-hp, Jan 21, 2006.

1. Dennis-hp

Dennis-hp Agent

Have read a bit about the Hsu STF-1 and now see that Outlaw is offering a small sub (LFM-2). Both priced at $299. The Outlaw appears to have a bit more bottom based on the specs...however I have not read an actual review of that sub. Both products appear to be worthy....anyone actually have the Hsu or Outlaw that can give some firsthand experience?

Thanks

2. Dan Driscoll

Dan Driscoll Supporting Actor

IIRC, Dr. Hsu was involved in the design of the Outlaw subs. I suspect they are very, very similar in performance.

3. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

The BIC Acoustech H-100 was also designed by Dr. Hsu. It has a 12 inch driver. Somewhat harder to find than the others. They have it at Overstock.com for $280. Since I once bought something from them for $14.99, I get emails all the time and they are offering $1 shipping this weekend. Maybe you could get the $1 shipping if you call them.

4. DarrenAlan

DarrenAlan Stunt Coordinator

I was considering the LFM-2 as well but ended up with the Orb Audio Super 8. With shipping to my zip code, the LFM-2 was going to run $356 total; if you ask nicely, the wonderful folks @ Orb Audio will probably sell you the Super 8 for the price it sells for in their package. I paid $333 including shipping and CA tax (they ship out of LA so had to charge CA tax; since you're in FL, they won't. They charge a flat $9 shipping to anywhere).

Size was also a factor as the subs you mention are quite a bit larger than the 12" cube that is the Super 8. I've been very happy with the unit in my 14x17x8.5' media room; I've had to turn the volume down three times and it's now running at only 25% of maximum and STILL fills the room up nicely with tight bass down into the upper-20 Hz region.

5. Brian_cyberbri

Brian_cyberbri Stunt Coordinator

I have heard different iterations of Dr. Hsu's involvement with the sub, but at the very least, the BASH amp (150w/500w) it uses is the same as the HSU STF-1. How much he was involved with the other aspects of its design, I do not know.

I actually own an Acoustech H100, and am very pleased with it. I purchased it from overstock.com, and it was $279 + about $3-4 for shipping (other places carry it for $250 + $30-35 shipping).

6. Chuck Bogie

Chuck Bogie Second Unit

Home Depot or Lowes can cut the MDF, and all you have to do is figure out how to cut a 13 5/8" round hole, and how you want to paint the thing. For $300, a Parts Express 240 watt plate amp and a Quatro 15" sub in a 3 cube sealed box will leave you enough cash to blow some serious change....

7. Tom Donaghue

Tom Donaghue Stunt Coordinator

For that matter, if you can pony up an extra $58.00 and have minimal DIY skills, the Dayton TITSK-10K 10" Titanic MKIII Subwoofer Kit is available at Parts Express for $358. This has garnered some good feedback and still offers a fairly small form factor at 14" W x 14" H x 14-1/4" D. -TD

8. DarrenAlan

DarrenAlan Stunt Coordinator

I have also heard excellent things about the kit and if space hadn't been such a consideration (my 12" cube BARELY fits where I've determined placement to be best) I probably would have gone in that direction. I see now that they make sure this is for a "small to medium sized room," probably after getting returns from folks in large high-ceilinged boxes who wanted everything to shake with second-order harmonics!

9. mark tu

mark tu Extra

I have the Outlaw LFM-2 and am very pleased with it. It came in 2 boxes, one inside the other and the sub was in a cloth bag to protect it - not one nick or scratch anywhere. Very nice black cabinet with a black plexiglass top - very sharp looking. I also like the downfiring - it seems to spread the sound around better than the side firing one I had before. One of my friends has the bigger one - very nice too - I just didn't have room for the bigger one right now. I went with the LFM-2 thinking that if I move into a bigger place, I can add the bigger one then and link them together with a Y adapter.
    Mark