What's new

Want to replace my Tempest with dual AV 12's or 15's? (1 Viewer)

Darren_T

Second Unit
Dangit Eric! Now you got me all pumped to do an IB again. I just got that out of my head and now it's back.

What is the latest great deal on 15" IB drivers on the cult forum? I haven't been there for a while. I really like my AV15 but that could go up in my bedroom :D

Bryan Michael

Supporting Actor
check out the avalanch chad is clearing out his stock heck you can get a 18 for 275

i do have a ib i have 1 drawback i have so much sub it will distroy the house if i let it lose.
the wall it is bult into is 4 18 in drivers all in a line

Eric M Jones

Second Unit
Here's the current blowout prices for Ascendant Audio

Atlas 12 - was$145 - now$100
Atlas 15 - was$160 - now$105
Avalanche 12 - was$280 - now$200
Avalanche 15 - was$299 - now$225
Avalanche 18 - was$399 - now$275
These have been on sale for about a week so I'm sure supply is getting limited. I have 2 Altas 15" on the way to replace my dual Shiva 12's.

It's a sickness... you can't resist... :D

-EJ

Rory Buszka

Supporting Actor
Being the mechanical genius that I am, I put a similar ding in the cone of my AV12. You just have to be a bit more careful to keep the cone nice if you want the look of an aluminum cone. It is also a tiny bit more expensive than the Atlas 12 but less expensive than the Avalanche 12. I enjoy my AV12 very much. Excursion junkies would do well to wait for the HE lineup. No news on when that could be, though. However, AE Speakers will be debuting a linear motor technology of their own

Curt Badry

Stunt Coordinator
Eric,
I'll consider it. I might have the perfect spot for an IB. It's a halfwall/landing on the top of my stairs,it's going to be the same wall the tv will be on after i remodel. I'll post some pics with measurements tomorrow then you can tell me if it will work.

Rory,
These HE series subs, are they going to have aluminum woofers? I'm stuck on that look. I can't believe more companys don't offer this. You'd think it would be a big selling feature. Inverted dust caps/aluminum woofers/great performance = pure chocolate too me.

Rory Buszka

Supporting Actor
I agree, the aesthetic appeal of the AE Speakers woofers with aluminum cones is beyond compare. Every hint John has been dropping about the HE series has suggested an aluminum cone, so I trust you won't be disappointed. I have heard "composite" mentioned so perhaps it will actually be a composite material of some sort. It could be Woven Carbon Fiber or Aluminum Honeycomb. I don't know for sure. The decision may be made to stick with that awesome looking aluminum cone, similar to the AV series. John is also taking steps to lower the Le parameter of the HE woofers, to remove the inductive peak and improve the character of the bass over the old HE series woofers. And of course his linear BL motor will also be debuting in the HE. I have heard things to the tune of 43mm linear, 50mm suspension-limited. (Insane, isn't it?) And I have also heard speculations that a 15" and an 18" version will be available. He seems to think the cost will be somewhere around $500-$750 for the 18" woofer. The 18" to beat is the Tumult 18D2, with 33mm Xmax, for $745. (All this information is hearsay/speculation/preliminary/wild-guessing based on information from his web site's forums, so the details may wind up being different.) I don't know when the HE series will be ready. Right now he is focused on getting some revenue in the door so he can more fully develop these other product lines, and that is why he is putting priority on the AV series because it is so popular.

Many of the AE Speakers products look to be real envelope-pushers. The first-gen HE woofers did that in a big way, and AE Speakers looks set to do it again with the new HE woofers. Those slim 10" woofers look especially interesting. There is a small cone underneath that diaphragm so that the diaphragm is edge-driven and not driven from the center like other flat-diaphragm/"slim" woofers such as the one in the Infinity BassLink, or the Nomex-diaphragm eD woofers. The result is that there will be less chance of failure.

My verdict on the AV series is that if you are looking for an excellent value in displacement for the dollar and can afford the slightly higher cost of admission, the AV series is a great way to do it. The AV series woofers are very clean bass drivers, and they are just as much at home in hi-fidelity applications as in home theater. And you can't beat the looks. This has to be one of the most anticipated prodcuts in the DIY market.

No, I am not a paid or otherwise compensated endorser, though I'm pretty close to being a cheerleader of the brand.

Lee-c

Supporting Actor
So, what's the latest word on the new HE woofers? :) Any details known at this point,
what different models will be available, etc.?

Rory Buszka

Supporting Actor
AV12 and AV15 woofers are in stock and ready to be shipped, John says. They are being offered at a reduced price because the plating on the top plates does not match the plating on the bottom plates. Here is a chance to get a massive AV12 woofer for only $150. I would go for it, if I didn't already have one.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks