1. The HTF Tapatalk application has been discontinued. Please see the thread in the Forum Help & Feedback area for more information.
    Dismiss Notice

Want to recorded DVD sound in 5.1 or 6.1 on PC?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ernest R, Jun 18, 2002.

1. Ernest R

Ernest R Agent

I run a haunted house every year and sound is a big part of it. Is there something out there that will allow me to record separate/mix sounds on a DVD for each channel on my PC? To be played back on a regular DVD player. Imagine being a a dark place hearing the wind swirl around you or a heart beat that floats from one side of you to another.

2. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

I can't help you with the software, but you might consider making a DTS CD if you don't have access to a DVD burner. A DTS CD can hold approx. 60-70 minutes of 5.1 audio.

The problem is, I don't know where you can get the software to do this...I imagine they are all commercial and thus you need lots of $$$ to do it.

3. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

DTS Encoders start at around $2000

DD Encoders start at around $1500

Hope you've got cash

The only thing you might be able to do is create the 6 separate tracks as WAV files and bring them to a local authoring house

4. Ernest R

Ernest R Agent

OUCH! Cash? Is the the green stuff I Keep hearing about. I do have a decent CD burner and using it would be perfect. Any one know what is the name of the software is?

5. JasenP

JasenP Screenwriter

Jasen
    Ernest-
    Just charge $100 a pop to enter the haunted house, you'll cover your losses in no time. [​IMG]

6. Jeff Kleist

Sonic Scenarist can do DD 5.1 encoding in the $2500 version I believe

There are probably a few others. It's very expensive tho

7. Wayne Bundrick

Wayne Bundrick Cinematographer

DTS 5.1 encoding for CDs is much less than $2000. Minnetonka's version is just $500. The $2000 version is needed only to make DTS tracks for DVD.
    http://www.minnetonkaaudio.com
    But you'll need either good mixing software or some careful "3-dimensional" thinking and a lot of trial and error if you want sounds to "swirl" from speaker to speaker.

8. Ernest R

Ernest R Agent

Well $500 is going the right direction... But is still over my total $300 yearly budget for Halloween. Maybe I can leave the candy out. Its still something I want to try but I need a DYI solution...... CHEAP and innovative.

9. Ernest R

Ernest R Agent

The one and only year I charged $2 I had a guilt complex for a month even if half was donated to the local high school theater group that helped out. It ain't no go if you got to pay. No one charged me when I was a kid and now most neighborhood you don't even see the kids out on the street trick or treating. You see my haunted house is mine house and my wife haunts me about it every year because it keeps growing every year like the BLOOB. BUT IT WILL STAY FREE FOR ALL
    The kids in my neighborhood test their metal every year with my haunted house. Some will enter and some will not but always come back the next year until brave enough to enter. Heck I get a bigger kick out of scaring the adults.

10. Wayne Bundrick

Wayne Bundrick Cinematographer

Like the bloob? Is that a blob with a nipple? J/K

11. Ernest R

Ernest R Agent

LOL!:b

12. GregK

GregK Screenwriter

Ernest,

I've heard a few home brewed DTS CD-Rs and they are quite
    nice. All you need is a DTS capable receiver and a CD or DVD
    player that plays CD-Rs and has an optical out.

13. Matt DeVillier

Matt DeVillier Supporting Actor

Sonic Foundry made a software DD encoder called SoftEncode 1.0. It's no longer available, but if you can find it it's quite easy to create a 5.1 mix from any number of mono/stereo .wav files

14. Jeff Kleist

Talk to your local video place, they may have the necessary tools and if you prep the tracks for them and just need an encode I bet they'd run it off pretty cheap.
    Try Kittrage St. DVD. You can find a link to them off of http://www.fanfilms.com

15. Kieran Coghlan

Kieran Coghlan Second Unit

Minnetonka Audio has all the software you need. But as others said, the least expensive 5.1 encoder is $500 for the DTS-CD version.
    However, why bother encoding it? There are several multi-track audio mixing software programs out there, for less than $500. Create your raw 5 channel sound (i.e. 5 uncompressed .wav files) using the mixing software, then just play it straight from the computer into your audio system... off the hard drive. My room mate mixes music on his PC a lot... I can't remember the name of the software he uses, but I'll find out. Email me if I don't post by tomorrow, as I might forget to ask him when he comes back.

16. Ernest R

Ernest R Agent

Kieran,

I'm not sure we are talking the same thing. Can this software direct a channel to a specific surround left, surround right, surround back, center, left main or right main of my choice through my receiver?

Sound like what your saying is to mix 5 channel in to a stereo mode or will the receiver know what to do with each channel?

17. Merconium

Merconium Agent

Pro-Tools is free and might do what you want. I don't know.

18. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Ernest,

I have the tools to create DD CDs (just like DTS cds, 5.1 audio written so it looks like a wav- but a CD player or DVD with digital output can feed to a receiver and get 5.1).

If you're interested, I'd be willing to help you out (maybe in a return for a dvd...)

email me

Vince

19. Jeff Kleist

Pro-Tools is free/??????

Since when?

Last I checked it was 5 figures

20. Brian Ruth

Brian Ruth Supporting Actor

Ernest: I think the Creative Audigy line has the ability to upmix a stereo source to 5.1, and also has a swirl effect (called DREAM, I think). The cards run about $200, and would thus be closer to your budget. Can't vouch for the quality though -- I have the card but I haven't tried the multi-channel stuff yet.