1. We suffered a brief outage this morning when our host noticed that HTF needed to be moved to a different server due to a hardware failure. That work is now complete. Please post in the feedback area if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

Want to really cool your CPU? Immerse it in liquid!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by RobertR, Apr 10, 2002.

1. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

2. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    Can't you tell us more Robert?

Did you try this method, or know someone who used it? And for how long? What is the verdict?

I don't think most of us would need this, perhaps only some super tweakers. And who wants to go through all the trouble, especially because it's not something that can be applied without changes to your setup. You need to immerse your motherboard, but leave all moving parts (disks, CD- and DVD-player, tape units etc) out of it.

Cees

3. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

heh... that's so cool. The only problem would be replacing a CPU or PCI card... you would have to dunk your hand in goo... ewww [​IMG] Plus, what if it leaked out? It costs $220 per gallon... leakage could definately hurt the pocketbook.
    It definately would be the "ultimate" in cooling though [​IMG]

4. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    I saw some guy submerg his computer in mineral oil.. but i doubt that would help cool the computer... unless he kept the oil cold... :p)

5. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

Not really, Cees. I'd want someone to make available a custom case for it before I'd try it. But it is an interesting concept. The properties of the liquid are quite interestinng.

6. Steven K

Steven K Supporting Actor

As part of a college experimentassignment, we overclocked a Celeron 300A to ~533 MHz by keeping it in the refridgerator for short periods of time... got the idea from an overclocking web site.

7. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

You can achieve very cold temperatures using peltier combos and/or water cooling. It's cheap, quiet, and not messy.

8. Mark Larson

Mark Larson Supporting Actor

You can get cases with refrigeration built in, can't you?

I would think those would suffice to keep temperatures at reasonable levels - after all, just because you're overclocking doesn't mean you have to get into the -ve F.

I would think that maintaining the temperature at +- 35 degF would be the best idea, seeing as it's not below freezing, but plenty cold enough - and if you have a decent unit, condensation shouldn't be a problem.

9. AjayM

AjayM Screenwriter

10. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

One day I will get a Koolance water-cooling system:
    www.koolance.com
    The reviews I've read on Tom's Hardware and HardOCP.com indicate that the Koolance cases are extremely good products for the price. About $200 US for the mid-tower. Very quiet too...about 45 db or less.
    An order of magnitude cheaper than a mineral-oil solution, and much more efficient...water's heat capacity is greater than mineral-oil, plus less work for the pumps!
    Also, no refrigerant required.

11. Arthur Legardo

Arthur Legardo Second Unit

Yeah, I saw this episode and it was pretty interesting. They actually submerged a working motherboard and video card in this liquid and overclocked the CPU (I forget by how much). The CPU and video card didn't have any heat sinks or fans attached and they even showed the liquid boiling away the HFE.
    The "case" that they used was a dual plexiglass tray setup. One tray held the motherboard and video card which was submerged in the HFE and a recirculator (kind of like the one used in a fish tank) to recirculate the liquid. The "tray" adjacent to it held a bunch of dry ice - the dry ice was used to cool the "heated" HFE from the motherboard.
    They were able to get the temperature of the motherboard/CPU to -30C, but at that temperature other components began to fail and the computer wouldn't boot. One caveat they had with this cooling technique was that the HFE evaporated rather quickly and at $200+ per gallon they said to make sure to use a sealed cooling system.
    I believe the next episode they had fun with liquid nitrogen! [​IMG]

12. AjayM

AjayM Screenwriter

The Koolance cases are nice, and actually I would say even a bargain when you consider everything you need to build a watercooling setup and it's pre-assembled and has a good company standing behind their product.
    But if you are heavily into OC'ing your CPU, even watercooling will hit it's limitations. Then you need to get to the next level, something like http://www.vapochill.com/ would work well, I believe Kyrotech used to make some cases that would run below the freezing point, you could do some super-cooling with a big peltier (but you have to figure out how to remove the heat from it).
    Andrew