Want to purchase a DVD Recorder with HD - Need Help

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Matthew Dubin, Oct 17, 2005.

1. Matthew Dubin

Matthew Dubin Auditioning

Hi:

I have returned to HTF after an absence of a few years.

I am interested in purchasing a new machine which will replace both my VCR and my current DVD Player.

I want this new unit to:

1. Be an excellent DVD player (I own a Direct-View Panasonic 32" TV which does not accept 480p but does have component video inputs).

2. Record from all channels that I subscribe to from my Cablevision Digital I-O Cable box for later viewing. I do not care about a TV guide. Manual scheduling of recording is fine for me since my cable box can be set to change channels. Therefore an IR Blaster is not necessary.

3. Once in a while, I might want to archive something important to DVD so I would like to be able to edit the content of the recorded material first. That is why I feel the HD is essential. Therefore my concern is that the HD is reliable and built to last. I am not interested in TIVO since my HT system is not located near a phone line.

Since I was never into DVD recording before (my DVD player is almost six years old), I do not understand the various DVD formats (DV-R, DV+R, DVD-RW, DVD-RAM, etc.) and would appreciate an explanation.

I was interested in the Panasonic DMR EH50 but got a bit turned off by some user-reviews and also by reading the manual online.

Can anyone here give me some suggestions?

Thanks.

2. Matthew Dubin

Matthew Dubin Auditioning

Thanks everyone for all your non-help.

3. PatH

PatH Second Unit

Matthew:

Don't feel alone. I've posted a similar plea--see "Looking for . . . if you're interested--and have so far received the same level of help. Odd, too, since over the time I've been a member, my fellow members have been quite helpful in a variety of queries.

PatH

4. Stephen Orr

Stephen Orr Screenwriter

Fellas, this particular part of the forum is not visited very often, if you can take a look at threads, replies and responses. This is my first time in a couple of days, myself.

In response to your question (one that I asked asked a few weeks ago, also), I use the Panasonic E85, but I don't this those are being manufactured anymore. I am looking into getting my son an E90 (?). No tivo for me. Not into subscription fees.

The other alternative is to put a WinTV card in your computer. I have two computers with DVR card in them.

5. RomanSohor

RomanSohor Second Unit

Matt,

you can use most Tivo Series 2 devices with a wireless USB adapter if you have a wireless internet router in your house. I'm not an expert at setting it up myself, but thought that might warrant some more investigation.

6. wally

wally Second Unit

You might try the AVS forums. They have a lively discussion on a variety of DVR with and without HDs.

My $.02. I own the Toshiba XS34. I like it alot. It gets downgraded due to a cooling fan that runs all the time. It's in my basement HT, so it's not an issue with me. The TV Guide has a few problems from what I read, but I'm a sat subscriber so it's not an issue with me.

Player PQ is good in my eyes (hooked to a Sony 55" Projection LCD). I really enjoy the fact that it has a front panel FireWire input and good editing of chapters etc prior to burning to DVR.

I'd be happy to provide a more detailed review if you'd like.