Want to learn about the Outlaw 755/770 amps? Look at what I found.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by RAF, Mar 22, 2002.

1. RAF

RAF Lead Actor

I was surfing over at the Outlaw Web Site trying to get some information regarding the 750 amp to compare it with my 755 amp. Because the 750 has been discontinued, it is no longer "featured" on Outlaw's site. But full specifications and the manual are found over there at:
    http://pdf.outlawaudio.com/outlaw/docs/750manual.pdf
    It suddenly occurred to me, "What if I change the URL by one digit from "750" to "755" like so...
    http://pdf.outlawaudio.com/outlaw/docs/755manual.pdf
    Could it be?
    Voila! Look what I found! (I'm getting dangerous now that I'm running DSL! [​IMG] )
    For those of you waiting for more information on the 755 and/or 770, here's an early Easter Egg (how appropriate to the season!) for you all. Just click on the second URL above to see what I mean.
    I'm sure that I probably just got lucky on this one and that the link on the Outlaw site will be established in a day or two. I guess I caught them with their "manuals up?"
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Not as exciting as seeing a preview of Star Wars, Episode II, perhaps, but a nice little bit of information.
    Enjoy!
    P.S. Of course I tried "950" as well, but no luck on that one. That manual is supposedly a much more complex document and I understand it has been completely rewritten from the very rough sample I saw but will be ready when the 950 ships.

2. Jim Prillaman

Jim Prillaman Stunt Coordinator

[​IMG] -- Pretty slick, RAF! I think those files just went up today, so you timed things well (text links to the manuals show up now on the 770 and 755 product pages).

3. RAF

RAF Lead Actor

4. Russell _T

Russell _T Supporting Actor

Holy Moly,

Nice work.

Russ

5. stephen_z

stephen_z Stunt Coordinator

Robert,

I've only recently joined Home Theater Forum. Have you posted anything on your impressions on the Outlaw 755? I know that the frenzy has been surrounding the 950.

6. RAF

RAF Lead Actor

stephen,
    I posted a small commentary here on my HT website. Not a beta test or anything like that. Just some basic information. Unlike a pre/pro which has a wide variety of settings and options, a good amp like the 755 is much less complex and does what it's supposed to do and does it well.
    As an addendum to my comments on the 755 I've found some extension pieces for my Sanus rack so I'll be adding 4" of head space to the shelf this large piece of equipment sits on. Not a problem, just a precaution.

7. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

Robert, what's your take on AC power source, in that Outlaw does not specifically say to just plug it into the wall duplex. I see the manual DOES make reference to plugging into a surge protector (in terms of current draw) assuming 20amp circuit.

Today's big amps come with large toroids and without fuses because of internal circuit protection/shutdown, and some such as Anthem MCA, condone wall plug-in. Wud you bypass a surge protector on this Outlaw amp?

If you addressed this on yr website, sorry, I haven't yet looked.

8. RAF

RAF Lead Actor

Bill,

If I recall, the 755 has an internal 15 amp circuit breaker for protection (at least it says so on the back of the unit where the power cord plugs in). I plug mine into a 20 amp wall circuit to be sure and I control the on/off feature via a 12V trigger voltage from my 950. My other amps (the 3 Marantz Monoblocks) are plugged into a Monster 3500 power center where I use a delayed action circuit to make sure that all amps don't come on at the same time.

I don't foresee any problems since even at full throttle I'll probably not draw anything close to even 15 amps. The 200w/channel or 300W/channel into 4 ohms is never going to be used simulataneously on all 5 or 7 channels in the real world, in my opinion.

Lots of headroom.