What's new

Want to buy HDTV - Samsung, Sony, Panasonic?? (1 Viewer)

Hi

I am thinking about buying a new TV. I would like to spend at most $1500, and less if possible. I live in an apartment and sit about 9 - 10 feet from the TV.

I watch cable TV and DVD's. I mostly want this new TV to make watching DVD's better - I want to be able to use a progressive scan DVD, and want a TV that can handle wide screen DVD's.

I have been to Best Buy and Ultimate Electronics, and online, and am considering 32-36 inch Tv's. I havent really considered a RPTV.

I have many questions:

Does anyone know the difference between the Panasonic CT32HX41 and CT32HX42? At 6ave the HX41 is something like $300 cheaper than the HX42...

I have looked at the Samsungs...TXM3097 and TXM3297...are these decent? Like I said, I will spend $1500 if necessary, but for around $1000 am I loosing alot with one of these? Also, the TXM3096 and TXM3296 dont have 3-2 pulldown....do I need the 3-2 pulldown built in to the TV, or just the DVD player?

I do like the Sony KV32HS500...is this the best TV out of the ones I have mentioned? And what exactly does this one not have that the more expensive Sonys have?

And what about the Toshiba 32HF72?

Last, considering how close I am to the screen from my couch, is a rear projection tv out of the question?

Last, the Hitachi 32UDX10s...does anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks and sorry for so many questions. I have scanned thru and looked at many of the threads similar to this, but still I have a lot of questions that I need to have answered before I pull the trigger.

Mike B

Jan Strnad

Screenwriter
I love my 42" Toshiba (42H81, last year's model). The size of the screen is great for my small room, and the shallow depth of only 18" makes the whole unit fit nicely.

People urge others to go as big as possible, but I'm not so sure. Part of me agrees that bigger is better, but another part likes owning a TV that fits in rather than stands out.

Check out the depth of those direct views! My old 35" direct view was quite a bit deeper, boxier, and uglier than the Toshiba 42" projector.

Good luck!

Jan

AliS

Auditioning
If budget is your primary concern, you can't go wrong w/the Samsung 16:9 30" model, imo.
True the picture is rather smaller (~25%) than a 34", but if you live in an apartment, the 30" Sammy's the way to go. Plus you can sell it in 2-3 yrs at less of a loss than a larger set, and upgrade to Plasma :)

ThomasL

Supporting Actor
Mike, I'm also looking at tvs in that same range.
3/2 pulldown would only be needed if watching a film source from a non-progressive signal. If your dvd player is outputting a progressive signal then the tv's line doubler and 3/2 pulldown technology won't be used. It'll simply pass the 480p signal straight on through, so to speak.
I personally have eliminated the Samsung 30 inch 16:9 widescreen set - mostly because a 32 inch 4:3 set that does vertical compression gives one a 29.4 inch widescreen image - essentially a 30 inch widescreen tv. I am currently looking at the Toshiba 32HF72. There is also the 32HFX72 set which has, apparently, user settable SVM and better audio (audio I don't care about on a tv). I've looked at the Sony HS500 model next to the Toshiba 32HF72 and they both looked good with the source but I really didn't care for the Sony remote control. The Toshiba was much easier to use for me (I may be bias since I already own a Toshiba :) )
I haven't yet looked at the Panasonic model closely - didn't have enough time. I have looked at the Samsung 32 inch 4:3 set but it is a little too wide at 36 inches for my space. The Toshiba is 34 1/2 inches and would just fit nicely in the entertainment center.
I have yet to see the Hitachi but people mention that it only has one component video input. I'm leaning toward wanting two even though I'd currently only be using one for my dvd player. All the other sets have two as far as I know.
hope this helps,
--tom

Mike-grouse

Stunt Coordinator
Do not buy an RPTV in that price range.

They're genrally cheap verisons of the real models that brand offers.

Get a sony crt tube vega linup.

Copare price ranges:
rptv (generally): $2000 - $8000
CRT: $300-$2200

Get a caddy or lexus of tube technology vesus the yugo of RPTV technology.

THe cheaper RPTVs have quality issues with the.

Check out the consumer reviews at audioreview.com to find the truth.

Hope this helps.

Good luck and enjoy

Lee Petty

Stunt Coordinator
i just bought a toshiba 42h82 for $1708 at bestbuy. i think the picture quality is outstanding, and toshiba has a good record of high quality. check at OneCall for some of the best deals on tvs.

Eric_M

Stunt Coordinator
Be aware that the 30-inch Samsungs, although they do put out a nice picture do have some issues. The sets seesm to have these transparent types of vertical lines on the screen that are pretty visible on darker scenes. All the sets except supposedly the 3098 seem to suffer from this.

Jan Strnad

Screenwriter
Do not buy an RPTV in that price range. They're genrally cheap verisons of the real models that brand offers.
All I can say is, I disagree 100%.
If any technology is outdated, it's the bulky CRT direct view set. Alternatives such as LCD panels and plasma screens are still too expensive, but look at how many flat screen computer monitors are on desktops now, look at how prices are dropping, and tell me that isn't the future of small screen TV! :)
If you're going big screen, the dinosaur is the old analog projector with the visible scan lines. With a high-def set, even if you don't receive high def material, a good de-interlacer will get rid of the scan lines on satellite/cable/broadcast TV, and that's worth doing. And DVD looks stunning.
Eventually the crt projector will be replaced by LCD, etc., but right now those sets are more expensive and have their own problems to work out.
IMHO, of course.
Jan

I wanted to thank everyone for their responses. Yesterday afternoon I went out to Best Buy and was all set to buy the Samsung 3296, but after seeing the 30" widescreen, and playing around with it, I bought it.

After manhandling it into my apartment I had some buyers remorse - I sat here staring at the unopened box for about an hour and a half. Finally I decided to open it up and I am really very happy with it.

I only watched parts of a few DVD's last night, and I hadnt read the post about the almost transparent vertical scan lines that effect this particular TV, so I do not know if this is a problem. But I will look for them later today and tonight, and if it is a problem then I will take it back.

But it really does have a nice picture. I can easily tell the diffeence between progressive and non progressive output, and regular over the air cable programs look good. My parents have a 3 or 4 year old 32" Toshiba analog set, and I am always amazed by how good its picture is...but this set is close. I was also worried that programs over the cable would look stretched out and funny, but I got used to it pretty quickly.

When I first turned it on I did see what looked like some convergence on the left side, but it went away so I will keep a close eye on it..

Thanks again for your help and I will post again if I have any problems.

Mike

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Congratulations on your purchase Mike. I have this set in my bedroom and think it a real value. Great picture at a reasonable price. I found (before using AVIA) that going into the menu and setting the picture to custom and then setting the individual values to at 50% gives a much better picture than leaving the setting as they are out of the box.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sharel
Recent bookmarks