What's new

Want to buy a PS3..I think..What TV to match it to? (1 Viewer)

Bren

Auditioning
Real Name
Brendan
Greetings all! first post here..This place seems really cool and I'm sure the wealth of knowledge will help me a great deal. Anyway, on to my question.

Basically, I'd like to get a PS3 for two reasons. A.) The Blu-Ray player for 600 bucks, and B.) The gaming.

Now, I'm not much of a gamer, but I like my occasional game of Madden or Knights of the Old Republic, stuff like that. My concern is, I've been looking at three tvs, and two of them are plasmas.

I've been advised by multiple people that plasmas are NOT what to buy if you're going to be doing any type of gaming on it. Now, it's kind of a waste to spend 600 if I'm not going to play ANY games on a PS3..

The tv's I'm considering are:

50" Samsung HPS5053 (plasma)

42" Hitachi 42HDT52 (plasma)

and

52" Mitsubishi WD52-631 (DLP)

Due to space constraints and pure aesthetics, I've been leaning toward the plasmas.. All three fall somewhere between 2k and 2,700.. If anyone has any insight on these tv's and the possibility of running a PS3 on them, I'd love to hear it.. My other option would simply be to go with a upconvert dvd player along with one of the above tv's.. I've heard alot of good thing about the Mitsu, but I thought I'd check in here first..

Thanks very much in advance!

Alon Goldberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Alon Goldberg
For gaming I would stay away from plasma's as you may suffer from burn-in..

If you have space constraints you may still want to consider purchasing an LCD.. The Westinghouse 42" LCD is capable of displaying full 1080p (so you can watch Blu-Ray movies in True HD), and is available for $1,500 to $2,000 at Best Buy.

Reviews:
http://www.audioholics.com/productre...LVM-42w2p1.php
http://www.hometheaterblog.com/homet...from_west.html

Otherwise without a doubt I would choose DLP or Rear Projection LCD.

Bren

Auditioning
Real Name
Brendan
Hmmmm.. I was considering a Sony Bravia LCD as well.. How are those? Don't they get that screen door effect though?

Alon Goldberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Alon Goldberg
You can pick up a Sony Bravia XBR1 40" for under $3,000... But for $2,700 I would pick up a Samsung 40" LN-S4092D. Samsung and Sony share the same LCD production plant in South Korea.

Samsung worked closely with Microsoft to create a gaming mode for their sets, so Samsung LCD's excel on Xbox 360.

Also keep in mind that the new Sony XBR2 and XBR3 models will be out in September, so I would expect prices on the XBR1 to begin dropping.

Scott_lb

Supporting Actor
I am also in the market for an HDTV, primarily used for gaming and HD movies (although my budget is a little lower). I'm leaning heavily toward a 46" Samsung DLP, however, it is my understanding that there are some serious issues with DNile (sp?) and gaming. Is it possible to turn the DNile off without using the service menu? I've accessed the service menu on my current SD Toshiba and fixing the tv was a snap. I'm just nervous to access the service menu on a new $1,500.00+ piece of equipment. If you do need to access the service menu to disengage the DNile processing, how difficult is it to do?

Your thoughts are appreciated!

Bren

Auditioning
Real Name
Brendan
Well, If I'm going LCD, I'd want either a 46 or higher... I know it's not a 1080p, but how is the Sony KDL-46S2000 46" Bravia HDTV? How does it compare to say, the Westinghouse 47" lcd? It seems like the Westinghouse doesn't have a tuner..is that correct?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks