Want to Add 2 Channel Amp to System. Need Help.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Raffi A, Apr 11, 2002.

1. Raffi A

Raffi A Extra

The following is my systems specs:

Receiver: B&K AVR 305

Fronts: Paradigm Ref Studio 60 v2

Center: Paradigm Ref Studio CC

Surrounds: Paradigm Ref Studio ADP

Sub: Paradigm PW2200

DVD: Sony 9000

Speaker Cable: Audioquest

I would like to add a 2 channel amp to my system to power the front Paradigm Ref 60's. Please Help!!!!

Amp's I'm going to look into are:

Rotel 1080

Rotel 1090

Anthem MCA 2

Bryston

B&K 2220

In no particular order.

I know the Bryston would probably kick the other amps asses but the price is well beyond the others. Any other advice on other 2 channel amps would be appreciated.

Raffi

2. Ron Reda

Ron Reda Cinematographer

Raffi,

What's your price range?

3. Tony Meconiates

Tony Meconiates Stunt Coordinator

odyssey stratos

4. Raffi A

Raffi A Extra

Forgot to mention, budget is $1500 - $2000.

5. DavidSegelstein

6. Justin Doring

Justin Doring Screenwriter

The Paradigms are not very particularly demanding speakers. I think your current B&K receiver is more than up to the task.

7. Ron Reda

Ron Reda Cinematographer

Damn, Tony beat me to it!!! [​IMG]
    I'd say Stratos all the way. Give Klaus a call and talk to him about your set up...he's quite the character and will give it to ya straight, no B. S.

8. Mike Nep

Mike Nep Stunt Coordinator

Odyssey...that's all and that's it. You can even get a three channel for under 1500, well right around 1500 w/ cap upgrade. I've got studio 80's. Look at posts everywhere and you can't really find anything bad said about it. Bryston is excellent however.

9. Mike Matheson

Mike Matheson Second Unit

Raffi,

One other thought for you. If you're inclined to move to an amp for purposes of 2 chn music, then a 2 chn amp is probably just what you need. (lots of options here, and some particularly good used deals--check Audiogon)

If, however, you listen mostly to multi-channel formats then you might consider a 3chn amp--something to maintain a similar sonic signature across your mains and your center.

Mike

10. Jeremy Hegna

Jeremy Hegna Supporting Actor

I'm having a great time with my Rotel 1090. It's a beast of an amplifier, the 1080 is good as well. I auditioned that in the beginning.

Alot of folks on the forum are having good luck with the Paradigm/Parasound combo. The 2205 will fit nicely into your budget. You can bi-amp your mains (440w/2) and run the extra channel to your center. You could also do this with the Rotel 1095.

Jer

11. Doug_B

Doug_B Screenwriter

As an owner of both the 2 and 3 channel Stratos, I would not hesitate to recommend either one, with cap upgrade. With respect to the 3 channel, I don't see any issue with it driving your front 3 speakers for either HT or multichannel music; there should be no compromises versus the 2 channel version.

The point made about your B&K being up to the task is also well taken, as I agree that the 60's are not very demanding to drive. I am not familiar with the 305 (may have heard it once or twice while auditioning speakers), but it may be wise to look into auditioning your 60's with an amp in your price range to see whether it's worth the upgrade for you.

Doug