Want reviews/thoughts on Sovereign VR-5090

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mark_Sparks, Feb 11, 2002.

1. Mark_Sparks

Mark_Sparks Agent

Hey everybody. First timer here. I did a search but did not see much input on this receiver. I can get a very good deal on this receiver, "cost" so I'm thinking of taking my tax return moula and upgrading from my yammy 795. Should I or shouldn't I is the question. I cringed when I heard this was Kenwood's flagship, but my buddy sells them and I trust his word. The rest of my set up is:

Monitor Audio Silver 5i (fronts)

Monitor Audio Silver 3i (rears)

MA Silver 110 center

MA ASW210 sub

Toshiba dvd 3755

My yammy sounds good but I'd like to take advantage of this deal. I did find out that the VR-5090 has the "capability" to do the dts es/dd ex but you need the seperate amp to round it out. The other receivers I was looking at were Marantz 7200 I believe and that Outlaw thing.

I'm in an upgrade mood, and I want something I'll be able to use for several years, so I'd like to get a receiver fully loaded. For those Denon users, can you give me some thoughts on a certain brand that might fit my needs? Thanks everybody!!

Mark

2. Chris Rock

Chris Rock Supporting Actor

I had also considered this receiver, but decided to go with the Onkyo DS TX 898 instead. Reason? Here goes:
    This Kenwood model has a feature that I really liked: The ability to convert any video source (composite, S-Video) to Component video, thus eliminating any switching on the TV/Monitor end. It also had support for all the latest sound formats (Pro Logic 2, DTS-ES, THX-EX, yadda, yadda, yadda).
    However,
    It did not have amplification channels for the Back Surrounds, so there would be no 6.1 for me until I got another amp to power them.
    So, I looked around. I found that the Onkyo had everything BUT the Universal Video feature, AND it had the 6th (and 7th) channel of amplification, so I can have my back surround right away! In essence, it came down to this: Is the Universal video feature worth the cost of another amp and the hassle of setting it up? My answer was no.
    I was able to get the Onkyo AND a JBL PB12 sub for about $1400 - which is less than the Kenwood Sovereing 5090 to begin with.
    Of course, if you're able to get it cheap, and you have an extra amp around, AND you really like Kenwood stuff, then go for it.
    And BTW, the 5090 is not the Flagship model. They have a model that is 2 steps above it - the 5900. Check it out - http://www.kenwoodusa.com/product/pr...roductLineId=2
    I'm sure you'll find something to spend your tax refund on - I sure did!

3. Mark_Sparks

Mark_Sparks Agent

Thanks C-Rock. Could I use my yamaha 795 as the other amp to power my Back Surrounds? I'm not a newbie, but I haven't had much experience with seperates, etc.

Mark

4. parin_patel

parin_patel Stunt Coordinator

Yes you could use your Yamaha 795 to power the other 2 surround channels. Just connect the cables from the pre-outs of the Kenwood to the main-in or any audio (except phono) of the Yamaha, and calibrate the sound levels using a disc like AVIA/Video Essentials and a SPL meter.

5. Chris Rock

Chris Rock Supporting Actor

Yeah, parin is right.

In my case, since I'm going to sell my existing receiver to a friend, AND because I'd rather not go through the hassle of setting it up, I decided to go with the Onkyo.

6. Mark_Sparks

Mark_Sparks Agent

thanks guys.