What's new

Want Quality 50"+ with 4K to spend (1 Viewer)

mark-elw

Auditioning
I'm looking for the best in new technology but not so new the bugs haven't been worked out. I want 50" to 60" max. with a budget of 4K.

Mort Corey

Supporting Actor
Good luck....in your price range and size requirements, you're going to be looking at DLP or LCD displays most likely (for newer technology anyway) and whether all the bugs have been worked out of either is open for debate.

A RPTV would probably give you the most bang for the buck under $4K.

Mort

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
I just went thru this and decided that LCD and DLP were not worth the trouble and headaches(no pun intended for dlp's). The long problem threads and issues associated with them scared me off. If they really didn't have that many issues I'd probably have bought a 56" DLP from Samsung.

That said I went with a 55" Mits for 1/2 of your budget and took the rest towards an audio upgrade. The picture I'm getting relatively uncalibrated is far superior to what I've seen from a well adjusted LCD or DLP.

Now my situation isn't for everyone because my set is pretty big(physical size) but its definitely the best value right now. If you can live with the issues with DLP or the LCD's then I would strongly consider the 56 DLP's or even a 61".

Perry Jonkheer

Second Unit
I totally agree with Shane...

Don't waste your money on a set with technology in it's toddler stages. You'll be happier with a high end RPTV in the end and save some dough while you're at it.

I got a Pinoneer 530HDI for $2400 from Tweeter back in December of 03 (includes $500 Pioneer Rebate).

You'll be happy with the the Pioneer or the Mits Shane was talking about. I assume he's referrering to the Diamond series.

Scott Dautel

Second Unit
I'm going to disagree with the above 2 here ....
I'm in the exact same spot as Mark ... $4K to spend on new 16:9 HDTV ... what to choose.

I think I've decided on a Samsung 50" DLP ... I've chosen this because 1) I like the slim profile (17" deep), 2) I like the punchy colors of DLP, 3) DLP suffers zero image burn-in. This means several years of watching 4:3 material with gray sidebars, will not hurt the set. Also, no problems with gaming. the big question for me is to go for the HLN-series (2003) or wait a few months for the HLP-series (mid-2004).

Right now, Costco has the 50" HLN model for $2999.-
Man is this a big temptation. However the HLP-series offers some pretty significant improvements, including the TI HD2+ chips. As I write this, I sit here with the newest Samsung HLP-series brochure right next to me. My gut tells me to wait ...

I think we are on the verge of a big price reduction for all these sets ... there are many competitors and the Intel LCOS announcement ($1800 by Christmas 04) will have a HUGE impact in 2H-2004. I'm wondering if the volatile pricing situation might be one of the reasons Samsung is holding back on the HLP-series availablilty?

Scott

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Scott,
The HLP is worth the wait. They are supposedly due out about now or June. The HD2+ chip is worth the wait IMHO if I were to wait. I could have afforded to if I could live with the issues that DLP's have(on top of rainbows).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks