Want new reciver & speakers ........?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Steve Jones, Jul 3, 2003.

1. Steve Jones

Steve Jones Extra

I am thinking of upgrading my reciever and speakers and would appreciate whatever suggestions I could get. I have a Sony "box" system now which isn't bad, but there are some things I wish I had. For the reciever I would like to go 6.1 And try to stay in the $600 range give or take. The speakers I am really not sure of. I have Sony now, and don't know any better. I want the smaller bookshelf type, don't know what to expect price wise. I just want a nice middle of the road system nothing to extravagant but not cheap either. My room size is 17'x20' approx. Couch is against the back wall (don't know if that is bad for 6.1). I have a Mitsubishi WS-55 RPTV that I really like. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

2. ChadLB

ChadLB Screenwriter

There are alot of good recievers that have 6.1. Your best bet is to go listen to some with your favorite cd/dvd. Denon, Onkyo, HK, Marantz are just a few. Bookshelf speakers well Paradigm makes some, Klipsch, Definitive Technology, along with many others. Your best bet would be to go to a Hi Fi store and try and audition a couple recievers on the same speakers.

3. Ryan*Pr*

Ryan*Pr* Agent

For bookshelf speakers, check out Paradigm. I was planning on getting Klipsch, but the Paradigm's were a much better bang for the buck.

4. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ
    Axiom makes some nice bookshelf speakers too, check them out

CJ

5. Pablo Abularach

Pablo Abularach Supporting Actor

Steve Jones,

Welcome to HTF, you will find a great place here for advice and suggestion, but try to base your final descition on audtioning, try to use this place as guide for you, but not as you final descition, all the guys here are very helpful. Now with your thread,

It is very important to know that any part of your setup will change the outcome, by this I mean that any reciever or speaker will give you a different sound, so it is best to audition with the same reciever or speaker that you will buy.

6. ChristopherD

ChristopherD Stunt Coordinator

Just gotta say: Pablo, GREAT response!

7. CurtisSC

CurtisSC Screenwriter

Wow Pablo....great post....a great reference in itself!

Steve,
    Get out and do some listening. Do you have a speaker budget? Given any budget, there are many choices. Best thing to do is find the sound you like, that will help narrow down the choices. That can even help people here give you more definitive options.

Have fun!

8. Greg Thomas

Greg Thomas Second Unit

Great job Pablo!

Steve, you might want to check out the Athena Technologies AS-B1 . Best Buy has them on sale for $159 pr this week. You probably won't get a get demo there because BB has no sound rooms. Maybe take them home and give them a try. The AS-B1 has a 5 1/4" woofer. The AS-B2 is a slightly larger speaker with a 6.5" woofer. You can also find these speakers at onecall.com

If you have a Good Guys close by, check out Monitor Audio Bronze B1 . They run about $299 but you might be able to catch one of their 10% off sales.

As far as the receivers they mentioned, I'd look at the HK 525. Plenty of power in reserve and very sweet sounding. I'm very satisfied with my HK 320.

9. Steve Jones

Steve Jones Extra

Thanks for all the help! Pablo you should write a book! I was looking at that Harmon/Kardon, I thought it was comparable to Denon, but by your response it seems you feel Sony is better. I realize this stuff is different perceptions, but I value your opinions. On the bookshelf speakers I didn't want to go to big and heavy, at least not the rears. But I suppose all the surround speakers should be the same.?. Thanks again. My main use for this is movies and it looks like I would be doing something if I only spent $1000 on speakers.