Want info on a projector system...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Troy Swope, Mar 3, 2002.

1. Troy Swope

Troy Swope Stunt Coordinator

Currently I have a 46" RPTV, 10 years old, time for something new. I want to go with a front projection system. What do I buy? I am a computer guy so I am familiar with the LCD projectors that we use in conference rooms, found out that there are models designed for home theaters that differ from those I would buy for a business conference room.

My HT room is 11.5 x 15, I already have a screen (couldnt pass the deal up) its 120" diagonal DaLite Cosmo.

What type of projector should I be looking for? Any brand names that I should look into, stay away from? My budget is around 5000.00 but could spend more if need be.

Thanks for the suggestions.

-troy swope

2. Troy Swope

ok, so i am still reading and reading and reading... i have a few more questions that i cant seem to find the answers for.

1. i do have two windows in the room, but i do most (if not all of my tv/dvd viewing) in the evenings (plus i could always put in some sort of heavy darkening blinds)

2. what is this "rainbow effect" i keep seeing posted when people talk of DLP's?

3. I have seen LCD's and screen door typically doesnt bother me, however the HT room the seating is approx 14ft to wall where screen is to be mounted.

4. the dalite cosmo screen that i have measures 69x92 with 2ft of black mask at the top, do i need to be concerned with this? 4:3 vs. 16:9 (can i even get 4:3 using this screen?)

thanks for the info, and i continue to search and read.

-troy swope

3. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

4. Troy Swope

the screen is 69 x 92 there is an extra 2 foot of black mask at the top (this was a custom made screen) i dont think the 2ft is part of the 69 dimension, i think its more to get the screen down the wall into optimal viewing, but i will know more when i get it mounted later this week.
    just wanted to make sure i could use a screen like this for both 4:3 (old tv and TIVO) and 16:9 (for dvd, and high def)
    again, im new so im reading and reading and reading. i think i am going blind!! [​IMG]
    -troy