Want General Info URL & Looking @ JBL Studio Series

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeb, Nov 1, 2002.

1. Jeb

Jeb Extra

I'm new to speakers and am setting up a new HT. Does anyone have a recommendation for a good Speakers for Dummies or General FAQ about Speakers?
    Also, since I'm getting a seasonal job at best buy I'm looking at the JBL studio series. I'm wondering if anyone has experience with this line. I'm primarily worried about the center channel (which can be found at:
    http://www.jbl.com/home/products/pro...Id=STU&sCatId= )
    And am wondering if it will be powerful enough to match up with the other higher end studio speakers (S312IICH at:
    http://www.jbl.com/home/products/pro...Id=STU&sCatId=
    Thanks!
    Jeb

2. Shawn.G

Shawn.G Second Unit

I am looking at the studio series myself. They are supposed to sound pretty nice. My friend has some older studios and they sound great. I am looking at the s38 series one, which some people say sounds better than the series two. I was looking at a pb 12, but people say for the price it isn't that great. The lowest prices I could find were at hypaudio.com and dirtcheapaudiovideo.com. Very low prices and not much shipping. Hope this helps.

3. Phil Iturralde

Phil Iturralde Screenwriter

4. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

If you want a 2nd opinion then Yes I believe that all the Studio series speakers are timbre (sound quality) matched even between series 1 and 2 because they all use the same tweeter.

The S312 may be able to get a lot louder but it will certainly match up fine because you will can simply adjust the volume levels on all the speakers to match eachother.

So to answer your question, JBL designed the S-center I and II to specifically to match the series I and II speakers such as the S26, S38, S312 and other studio series speakers.

5. jerry quintana

I personaly own these speakers and they sound very good. My friend with his BOSE system is pissed that I paid less and mine sounds better. Too bad he bought them on ebay now he cant return them.:b In all serious I have the S312II in the front S36II in the rear S Center and the S120 sub. I really couldnt afford these speakers but they were on sale I got the whole lot at best buy for 700 with extended warent. I am very pleased with them. Email me at [email protected] if you have a spacific questions

6. Laszlo

Laszlo Stunt Coordinator

7. jerry quintana

I did for about a month. The sub wasnt on sale when I bought the system. the speakers sound very good without the sub in fact the speakers produce a far amount of base themselves I just have more know with the sub. Know one could tell that there wasnt a sub. With the sub certain movie seans are improved I believe only someone really into homew theater would be able to tell the diffrence.

8. Laszlo

Laszlo Stunt Coordinator

9. Laszlo

Laszlo Stunt Coordinator

hello

10. jerry quintana

I guess it would depend on the type of music you listen to. I am a rock and role kind of guy so they sound good to me. Ill be at home tomarrow so ill listen to some diffrent kind of music and let you know.

11. Angelo.M

Angelo.M Producer

Jeb:

In response to your original post... I have the S38iis and love them. I use them in a 2-channel setup for music only, and they really shine. They are fabulous speakers for the price.

-AM

12. Stephen Houdek

Stephen Houdek Second Unit

S
    I too have the 312's up front with an Scenter and S36's as surrounds. I really enjoy my setup and still don't have a sub. I'll be looking at a sub in the near future and am sure I'm missing some deep bass response, however, the 12" woofer in the 312's does a pretty decent job of bass reproduction.

Wait for a sale before you unload your cash.

13. Laszlo

Laszlo Stunt Coordinator

14. Jeb

Jeb Extra

I think I'm going to get everything from Avalon Gadgets as they have all the components at or near 1/2 off. All together, with:
    2-312's up front
    2- ScenterII for center and back
    2-S38II for the rear

including shipping comes to $1,147. Subwoofer will have to wait a month or 2.

Anybody have experience with AG (Avalon Gadgets)?
    -jeb

15. Laszlo

Laszlo Stunt Coordinator

Nope, just a suggestion, I'm waiting to get the money now but I will buy almost the same system as you from B & H. They have a good price with free shipping.

16. Jeb

Jeb Extra

I checked out B&H and they seem to be charging about 1.5-1.75 the prices at AG. AG's shipping and handling is only $125 for the whole system, so the savings is still @ AG. Unless of course B&H is an authorized dealer.

17. Laszlo

Laszlo Stunt Coordinator

Sir, make a phone call to B&H, you'll find that the S312's ar for $598 a pair... oooorrrrr, when you get to that product pge on their web site it says "click for a better price", and they'll email you a better price.
    They are authorized dealers.
    Just trying to help, this is the second time I explained how to get that price in the same day. It is there!!!! But nobody sees it?

Let me know.

Laszlo

18. Jeb

Jeb Extra

Lazlo!
    Thank you. You'd think they would make their site a little more user friendly for idiots like me.
    -jeb

19. Stephen Houdek

Stephen Houdek Second Unit

S
    No Lazlo,

I use it mostly for movies. Just haven't decided between the VTF3 or make room for a SVS PC+.

The bass response for movies is suprisingly good for no sub.

20. Laszlo

Laszlo Stunt Coordinator

What do you think about the ND310's? Do you think the S312's sound better?

laszlo