Want DVD-Audio and/or SACD player in my car, suggestions?

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones / Entertainment' started by Andrew Cybulska, Sep 28, 2006.

1. Andrew Cybulska

I hope this is the right forum.

The title says it all. I'm trying to find a player for my car that will allow me to play my DVD-Audio discs. Is it even possible? I would imagine the need for a custom speaker installation for the center speaker. I have a 97' Saturn SL2

2. Dan Driscoll

Dan Driscoll Supporting Actor

A car DVD player will allow you to play the DD or DTS track of a DVD-Audio disk, but I'm not aware of any mobile DVD-Audio capable players. Frankly, I'm not sure it would matter, the enviroment inside even the best cars is pretty lousy, from an audio perspective.

3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I have heard of a few mobile DVD-A capable players, but there are no SACD players that I know of. I agree with Dan that the typical car system isn't up to the task, but a custom setup certainly would be. I've had some pretty serious and great sounding systems in cars, though the environment is still less than optimum.

4. CameronJ

CameronJ Stunt Coordinator

There was an old thread on this from years ago that I remember - but I can't find it.

I seem to remember a DVD-Audio player that actually had a small center speaker built in - but I don't think it exists anymore.

5. Seth=L

Seth=L Screenwriter

If the DVD-Audio players for cars don't exist, which I beleive they do, it was at least an idea for a time.

Panasonic had a car DVD player with a built in center channel, from what I remember the center speaker was little more than a tweeter or midrange.

6. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

Pioneer AVH-P7800DVD Fork over $2,200 and its yours! [​IMG] It also has 6.1 channels.

This is a little cheaper at @600 dollars:

JVC KDAVX2

My local Circuit City sells this JVC (though I can't find it on their website) and I've played with it a bit. There is a menu for bass management i.e. speaker large/small choices but in the wacky world of hi-res audio, that doesn't mean its settings also apply to dvd-audio signals. I bring this up because trying to mount a center channel is going to be a major b***h in most cars, so programming the player for "no center" would eliminate this pain in the arse. And AFAIK, Pioneer is the only company selling a center speaker for automotive use - looks decently built for such a small speaker but don't know well it will integrate with typcially much larger/fuller sounding door speakers.

One irritating feature: there are no menu navigation controls on the head unit's face plate, so you *have* to use the remote for this.

As others have alluded to above, in most mobile environments Dolby/DTS will provide more than enough detail. So personally, I would just use a dvd-video player to listen to dvd-audio discs. That way, assuming the player has bass management like a home player, it would be easy to program it for no center and if needed, "no sub" though make sure the other channels can handle the redirected sub channel's bass. Oh yea, you'll save a lot of money too!

And the few mobile dvd players I've tried *can* play DTS-CDs.

This is a cool product: DTS-610. It's supposed to output a standard 44.1kHz/16bit digital signal, encoded with the DTS information.

CD burners with digital inputs are cool too.

7. JediFonger

JediFonger Producer

YiFeng You
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htf/...d.php?t=232348

aaanyway. i just got my car alarm installed yesterday along with new headunit (alpine cde9846). i asked my installer if what i proposed was possible... he said he's got to look at where to put the circuitry. so as long as we find a home for it, it shouldn't be a big deal. i'd love to listen to Dark Side in 5.1 SACD in the car =^).

8. Nick:G

Nick:G Stunt Coordinator

Actually, my Alpine DVA-9861 plays DVD Audio (2-ch. mixdown only, however - NO multi-channel). But what annoys me is that there is no way to force the player to default to the Advanced Resolution 192/24 layer of the disc. In fact, the only way to even select the layer is through the OSD menu, which of course requires a monitor (which I have no desire to ever have installed in my car).

But that's my only gripe. It plays EVERYTHING except for SACD and it has iPod navigation that actually works. Plus, it's terrific sounding head unit.

9. JediFonger

JediFonger Producer

YiFeng You
    it's unfortunate that sony didn't license SACD for mobile head units =(.

anyway, most people spend their time on the run in their cars. i don't get it's just not available. ah well.

10. Matt Fisher

Matt Fisher Second Unit

I realize this is a rather old thread, but for others who may still be interested in the topic...

In my last car I had a Panasonic CQ-DVR909 Head-Unit, it is a single disc CD/DVD unit which supports DVD-Audio (but no SACD). It has several audio and video inputs/outputs, I had mine hooked up to an in-dash screen. The unit has some nice features, including ability to send different sources to the front and rear speakers. I bought mine as a new/refurbished unit on eBay in 2004 for about $250, I am not sure if there's still any more of these around.

There were a few drawbacks though, which may show why it never really caught on (and if you do a search for reviews, you'll see they're few and far between). I believe the unit initially came out around 2000 and was selling for approximately $2000, quite a hefty price tag. The remote is huge, I never used it once. The unit has a built-in "center channel" which flips open when a button is pressed, for those who want a 5.1 experience on their DVDs and DVD-Audio discs. The speaker sucked pretty badly, I thought about upgrading it but I didn't really have a good spot on/in my dash to install one, and I wanted a clean look. IIRC, anything above 96kHz will be sampled down. I had some nice Kenwood component and 2-way speakers installed with a solid Orion amp, and to be honest, I couldn't really notice a huge difference between standard redbooks and DVD-Audio. It was nice being able to play those discs in my car (as well as be able to watch DVDs), but unless you have a really large DVD-A collection, this unit isn't really necessary.

11. JediFonger

JediFonger Producer

YiFeng You
    well, the big thing for me would be SACD =)... but as noted before it's a no go.

5.1 in the car is pretty nifty =). we spend most of our time driving nowadays anyway.

12. JLAudioCavalier

coming from a SQ standpoint, and an in-car-audio standpoint. I ask this, why? Why are so many people trying to get 5.1 or other surround sound type functions out of a car they don't plan to watch movies in? I am not being sarcastic in the least bit, this is a serious question. I personaly am all about a solid front stage, a good sub to pick up the low end, plenty of deadener, some nice crisp clean 2 channel musical recordings, and dirving bliss. If you are not watching movies, I don't see where any type of surround sound is justifiable.

13. JediFonger

JediFonger Producer

YiFeng You
    well, you raise a question that is more about 5.1 vs. 2.0 in general regardless of IN CAR or IN HOUSE or anywhere.

for myself, i luv the SACD 5.1 and DVD-Audio 5.1 albums i have. they are just a whole otherworldly experience. i do NOT buy stereo SACD nor DVD-Audio MLP because my ears suck 2much to be able to differentiate, but 5.1 i can definitely hear stuff coming out of the rear channels. i luv gimmicks and trix, when they throw stuff all around the channels, like pink floyd's dark side of the moon.

the next question is, have you heard material like that album in 5.1? you can't make a rational discussion without actually experiencing yourself. if you have experienced it several times, and you still say no, then it's just one of those agree to disagree.

as for myself, i luv it!!! =).

14. JediFonger

JediFonger Producer

YiFeng You
  15. podiumman

podiumman Auditioning

Woo hoooo... about darn time! They need a portable SACD player too.

16. Jsas

Jsas Auditioning

i have a JVC-avx1 and its an awesome headunit. plays DVD -audio discs.