Want an unbiased SVS recommendation? How about one from a toddler?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jim_C, Apr 15, 2002.

1. Jim_C

Jim_C Cinematographer

I received my new 20-39PCi last week and set it up Saturday morning while my wife and 2 ½ year old were out for a couple of hours. Speakers calibrated with Avia to 85db with the SVS 2-3db hot. The sub is corner loaded in a room that’s approximately 2000 CF and has a large opening into another 2400 CF. I was really concerned that one SVS might not be able to deal with this much space at reference levels but I was very wrong. Good god this is one amazing sub! More on that later…
    My wife and son showed up and I started gushing about the SVS. She was skeptical. She always is when it comes to my HT upgrades. I sat her and my son on the couch and threw in my Kodo Drummers CD Ibuki. For those that don’t know the Kodo Drummers use traditional Japanese drums to create their music. There’s lots of very good bass on this CD to be sure.
    The first track comes on and I’m looking at my wife for reaction. Nothing yet and I’m beginning to think ‘great, she thinks I’m nuts again’ when the first deep drumming starts. I’ll take the expression on her face to my grave. Shock, followed immediately by laughter. She couldn’t believe it. She never sees any difference in my HT upgrades. All I said was ‘see, I told you it would be a major difference’. Later on she said that she was filled with the desire to invite someone, anyone, over to watch a movie.
    Where’s the toddler recommendation you ask? Well, while we were busy talking about how the SVS improved my entire HT setup my son turns to us and says…"Like a ‘dile marching". What the hell does that mean you say? ‘dile is short for crocodile which is what he calls dinosaurs. Basically, my son said that the sound coming from the speakers made it feel like a dinosaur was walking through the living room. The floor and the couch were shaking and he was in heaven. Shortly after he said "Like a jump bouncing" which translated into english means ‘this is what it feels like when I jump up and down on the floor’. Today he walks up to me and says “Da-E, I want the rumble CD”. Okay, seriously, my son doesn’t know jack about subwoofer A or subwoofer B, he only knows what he experiences and this weekend he was convinced that a dinosaur was in his house! How’s that for a recommendation?
    As for the more official review…what more can I say that hasn’t already been said? I’m not justifying my purchase when I say that the addition of the 20-39PCi improved my entire setup. I’m running Klipsch KG-4’s as mains, a KV-3 center, and RS-3’s as surrounds. I’ve been very happy with this setup and if I didn’t have the means to get a sub I could have lived with the very good bass that he KG-4’s put out. However, once the 20-39PCi was added it was clear that the KG-4’s greatly benefited from being freed of the task of reproducing the first couple of octaves. The higher frequencies are much, much clearer and the depth of the front array has improved significantly. For the first time I felt like I was immersed in the action during the Lobby Shootout scene in The Matrix. The Lobby now has spatial quality that was just not there without the SVS.
    I demo’d all of the usual suspects. I was a bit scared when I trotted out the THX intro on TPM but the SVS didn’t blink. I cannot believe how much bass is in this movie.
    Toy Story 2? The engineers that did the sound for this movie are sick people. The logo scared the hell out of me.
    I threw in Contact. I’ve always known that there was serious bass in the Okay To Go and Launch scenes but I just wasn’t hearing/feeling it. All I can say is it was as if I was in the middle of the transporter. I could literally feel the sound moving up the front wall, along the ceiling and falling behind and under me as the rings spun around.
    I’ve never been to any sort of car racing event but I have to believe that Super Speedway comes as close to reality as possible in a HT setting. I thought that it was loud before…
    Music.
    I haven’t moved much beyond the Kodo Drummers but I did throw in AC/DC Highway to Hell and David Bowie Earthing. In my best Keanu voice…Whoa!
    I’m just in awe of the capabilities of this sub. It’s changed the entire dynamic of movie watching in my house. To close I’ll just add that my wife mentioned for the first time that the size of our TV screen is too small for the sound coming out of the speakers. The sound is just too encompassing for how big the picture is. Looks like it’s time to start thinking about a RPTV. [​IMG]
    Thanks to Tom and Ron. I’d never be able to afford a sub that is capable of creating the bass I’m now expericncing if it wasn’t for your company. You even made a believer out of my wife! I wish you continued success.

2. Sean Conklin

Sean Conklin Screenwriter

Neat story Jim, thanks for sharing!

3. John_VI

John_VI Second Unit

That's a great story, Jim! The WAF also plays a major role in my HT adventures (and expenditures). I just recently upgraded my speakers from a crappy 6-yr-old Sony HTIB setup to Def Tech. I hooked one of the BP2006TL's up to the right main and left one Sony bookshelf speaker hooked up on the left to do a quick-and-dirty A/B comparison. I was shocked, to say the least. But would the wife notice the difference?
    "Honey, you gotta come in here for 30-seconds."
    "Oh Christ, what now!? I've got to get the babies ready for bed."
    "Please honey, just 30-seconds."
    "Okay, let me sit down, I'm beat."
    "No, no, I need you to stand right here (in front of the Sony speaker)."
    "But I'm TIRED! I want to SIT!"
    "Please honey, just bear with me. Stand right here."
    "Okay. WHAT!?"
    "Just listen to this," as I turned on one of the DirecTV music stations. She listened for about 15-seconds and then I said, "Okay, now move over here in front of the new speaker and listen for a bit." She moved over, listened for 10-seconds and said:
    "Wow, that's a huge difference.....and I don't GIVE even a shit."
    LMAO!!!

4. Steve_Ma

Steve_Ma Second Unit

We may be stumbling onto the secret language of toddlers! [​IMG]
    My 22 month old calls Dinosaurs "Da-Doos." She also loves my sub and often excitedly asks for "Da-Doos! Da-Doos! Da-Doos!"
    Translation: She wants to watch the opening scene from the movie Dinosaur, where the big-ole Carnatour/T-Rex thing is chasing the little "da-doo". She loves the way the ground shakes with the steps. Of course, I have to hit the "Skip" button before the big guy gets dinner for fear of traumatizing her for life, but it's cool watching her reaction to the sub.

5. Joe Meissner

Joe Meissner Stunt Coordinator

okay a 2000square foot room with a large opening to a 2400square foot room.
    Damn[​IMG]
    how big is your house ?
    how much [​IMG] would it take to fill up those rooms?

6. Jim_C

Jim_C Cinematographer

>>okay a 2000square foot room with a large opening to a 2400square foot room.

7. RajeeK

RajeeK Second Unit

Good review. I would contact Tom/Ron and see if they would like to add your toddlers review to their site.[​IMG]

8. Jim_C

Jim_C Cinematographer

>>Of course, I have to hit the "Skip" button before the big guy gets dinner for fear of traumatizing her for life, but it's cool watching her reaction to the sub.

9. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John

10. GabrielC

GabrielC Stunt Coordinator

11. Jim_C

Jim_C Cinematographer

I'm glad that you guys enjoyed the review. Thanks!

12. BryanZ

BryanZ Screenwriter

Jim,
    Couldn't tell. Did you like the sub? [​IMG] [​IMG]

13. DougO

DougO Stunt Coordinator

Snipped from another thread Jim_C created (he was trying to get help in making his new sub blend better in his room with music):

14. Jim_C

Jim_C Cinematographer

I apologize to those that are reading this thread for the original intent and are subjected to the previous and my response post. It seems that Doug doesn't want to let it drop, even after I contacted a moderator.
    From my other post:
    >>In my setup, with my Yamaha and it's 90hz setting, I'm able to locate my SVS with music. I have worked with a lot of different placements and I still can 'find' the sub. So what I have to do is turn down the sub level for music in order to 'lose' the sub location. This is one of the reasons that I asked my question.

15. Jim_C

Jim_C Cinematographer

>>Snipped from another thread Jim_C created (he was trying to get help in making his new sub blend better in his room with music)>Does this receiver allow you to save different sub level settings for each input? If I want to watch movies with the sub level setting at -10 and music at -13 will the 3200 remember this when I change to tuner or CD? If not the 3200 then does the RX-Z1 allow this? If no again then is the only option to go in and manually change the setting each time you change inputs? Yes, I realize that it only takes 2-3 seconds to change settings but I can't understand why Yamaha wouldn't have this feature (if it doesn't). Then again, I can't figure out why the Yamahas still don't have adjustable bass management crossovers.

Hopefully someone can tell me that my griping is unfounded because the 3200 does have this feature.

Is it me or does anyone else sometimes wish that Yamaha had more of Denon's feature set?

16. Mike Strassburg

Mike Strassburg Second Unit

Jim,
    Great review, glad your SVS is living up to your expectations. MANY on the Klipsch forum love the Klipsch/SVS combo. I've got (7) Legends in my HT and almost went with SVS, but thanks to this forum I decided to build a dual Tempest sonosub, and will get my first listen tomorrow. It just has to be better than my AudioSource 12".
    A GREAT DVD is AC/DC "Stiff Upper Lip" in DTS. Check it out if you can, audio is awesome!
    My Denon 3802 lets you save settings for the various modes and like you I run my sub -4 to -6 lower for music, sounds better that way. Of course that's because we own Klipsch speakers [​IMG]

17. Jim_C

Jim_C Cinematographer

Thanks Mike. I first found out about SVS and HTF when I was over on the Klipsch BB. I was planning on getting a Klipsch sub but a number of people suggested SVS. I figured that if Klipsch diehards are recommending another brand for subwoofers then it must be good!

Denon would be a possibility but the manual says not to use 4 ohm speakers. My KG-4's are the 1985 model and they're, you guessed it, 4 ohms. It's too bad because a lot of people swear by the Denon/Klipsch combo.

I'm on the lookout for a pair of Quartets or Fortes. Those will be 6 ohm or higher. Then Denon comes into the picture.

18. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

Mike, it's gonna take you a week to wipe the stupid grin off your face you are going to get tomorrow. I forget the specifics of your design, but I seem to remember it is going to be very large and well ported with a low tuning, so I think you can expect to come very close to what a pair of SVS Ultra's can do [​IMG]
    If you could get two seperate channels of 250-300W at 4ohms or an amp stable into 2ohms at 500-600W then you will be pushing the Tempests to Xmax and should be the same or more than a pair of Ultras.
    The HS500 with drivers in series and VC in parallel will only get to 25mm of the 32.8mm Xmax the Tempest has (I assumed 480L tuned to 16hz with twin 6" ports). Two channels of 250W at 4ohm will get you all the way to 32.8mm. But still, given what my single Tempest can do with 250W, a pair with 500W will definately shake things.

19. Jeffrey_Jones

Jeffrey_Jones Second Unit

Jim,

Great review...very funny. I would love to add an SVS to my HT but I don't think my apartment neighbors could take it! Just another reason to buy a house.

DougO - Why the condescending and argumentative tone? Having a bad day?