want a dvd player that can play 720p or 1080i.. this is what circuit city said:

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by calvin_b, May 4, 2004.

1. calvin_b

calvin_b Stunt Coordinator

my dvd movies are getting jealous of HD broadcasts, and i want to be able to watch a movie in 720p or 1080i. but here's what circuit city said when i went there:

1- if you dont have a dvi input in your HDTV, forget about it. component cables cannot carry a 720p or 1080i signal. (my tv does not have a dvi input)

2- you won't see the difference.

3- here are some models that are progressive scan (this was after i told him i had a progressive scan at home already)

can i get some comments on this?

2. greg_t

greg_t Screenwriter

Component cables can most certainly carry 720p or 1080i signals. Do you think that all of the HDTV widescreen sets out there recieving HiDef all have DVI inputs? No. Now many of the dvd players that upconvert to 1080i only do so over DVI.

DVD by nature is 480i. Upconverting a 480i signal to 1080i does NOT make it High definition. It is merely adding in more information to a native 480i image. Some folks claim to see a big difference, others don't. Some of it depends on your TV. Just don't be fooled into thinking that if you get a upconverting dvd player, that dvd's will suddenly look like true HiDef signals. It won't happen.

3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Whomever told you that doesn't know what they are talking about. NEVER trust the average Circuit City salesperson's knowledge.

I saw a slight difference in detail with 1080i, but not enough to care or buy a player just for that.

4. calvin_b

that's what i thought. i have an HDTV that can display a 1080i image but has no dvi inputs, so i got a bit confused w/ that the CC guy said.

where are some good places to investigate/research/buy a dvd player capable of doing so?

and will this work: http://www.crutchfield.com/S-EAXyD3p...p?I=305DVDH931
    **since it doesnt say that it'll send a 720p or 10801 signal over component cables, but rather dvi

5. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

That Samsung will only do 720p or 1080i via DVI connections. There are a couple of Chinese made units, Lite-On is one, that will do it but not very well without a software update, iirc.

Upconverting 480i or 480p to 1080i is not going to add any more detail to the picture vs native 480p, it'll only make scanlines less visible.

The upconverting players like the Samsung are of benefit mainly with the Samsung DLP sets, which suffer a bad posterized fleshtone effect when fed 480p via component video. If you have a crt based set, upconverting 480p to 1080i is more likely to just add digital artifacts and reduce the appearance of scanlines. Net benefit probably nonexistent.

When true HD-DVD is introduced, this will of course not be the case.

6. Andrew JC

Andrew JC Stunt Coordinator

The Zenith 318 will upconvert to 1080i via component.

7. calvin_b

andrew, do you know where i can find that? i cant seem to find that anywhere. i'd prefer to buy it from a crutchfield or CC or BB in case im not satisfied (returns reasons). i just want to see the quality for myself.

8. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer

Yes, in analog domain, DVI is digital.
    The whole reason for upconverting is that your DVD player can hopefully match the front projector's[fixed pixell] native scan rate,so no additional rate/digital conversion takes place in the projector which can potentially degrade the picture.Basically this will lessen the degradation of the original picture quality,but can't give you more then what's on the disc.

9. Don_Berg

Don_Berg Supporting Actor

On your PC, use an image editor to scale a 640x480 JPG up to 1600x1200 - thats similar to what the upconverting DVD players do. I wouldn't call it an "HD" image! The source has to be HD to get true HD, the source resolution of DVD is only 720x480, its best displayed at that resolution.

10. Andrew JC

Calvin_b, I understand your concern about the return policy. One of the vendors selling the Zenith, WWE seems to have 30 day return policy. I have this player and yes it's that good! However Don_Berg is right with his assessment. Unless you are a hardcore videophile the image is very close to a HD image. Let you eyes be the judge.

11. PeterTHX

PeterTHX Cinematographer

Sorry Andrew I call BS.

UNLESS you have the image at both TRUE HD and upconverted to HD side by side you can't say that it's close to an HD image. That's like saying a (16-bit)CD sounds the same as the SACD version.

12. Andrew JC

PeterTHX, I did put the world hardcore in there for a reason [​IMG] . The picture is good for the money not HD quality but I'll still stand behind the fact it is very close. The future will certainly yield better player's but were not there yet. At this time in it's price range it is a stand out product.

13. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    The Samsung DVD HD1000 (which weighs 37.5 lbs. not the 931) will upconvert via component outs (it has no DVI).

14. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Look, when there's a minor disagreement or an occasion to fine-tune someone else's point, please don't accuse other members of proffering "BS." It's not the way we do things here. Thanks.

15. Bryan.G

Bryan.G Auditioning

Comedy gold,Cant say as I've actually been in a CC in years though. the last time I wound up educating a couple of their sales guys on how a multiswitch works...

16. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Not necessarily...

When the DVD player upconverts it to 1080i, it doesnt merely multiply the pixels, but it uses specific algorithms which 'interpolates' the image to the higher resolution. This is similar to what is done in some digital cameras. They claim they are 8 megapixels, but really the chips (The CCD? Dunno much bout Digicams) that actually take in the image are only 4 megapixels. The cameras use interpolation to upconvert them to 8 megapixels. Though they arent as nice as a true 8mp image, they are better than a 4mp image.

Thats half of the story.

The second half, is when the projector takes the video. If you're familiar with photo editing, and whatnot, you'll know that taking a big image and resizing it smaller will create a better looking image than taking a small image and resizing it to the larger size. For example, you have a wallpaper image only available in two resolutions, 1024x768 and 640x480. Say your screen resolution is 800x600. If you want to use the wallpaper, you'd have to go into a photo editing program and resize it. If you resize the larger image DOWN to 800x600, the image will look better than resizing the smaller image UP to 800x600.

17. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

Do they have any High-Definition DIVX players yet? [​IMG]

18. Saul Myers

Saul Myers Auditioning

I don't know about high-definition, but I've been very happy with the DIVX movies I've bought. You can't beat the price, and who wants to see the same movie over and over anyway? Once or twice is enough for me. Thinks it's a darn good deal, and they've gotten a bum rap.

19. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    SOme chinese manufacturers are going to be producing players that will be compatible with WMV-HD video. The Bravo D3 is one of them i believe

20. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

Yeah, there are players coming that show DiVX in HD.. just the other kind (the good kind) of DiVX.. [​IMG]