What's new

Waltons S4 coming in January (1 Viewer)

Brett*H

Stunt Coordinator
I'm happy to hear about this season set coming up in January. :emoji_thumbsup: Nice to see that Warner is speeding up the releases slightly. We usually get 1 release per annum which is around Mother's Day.

The first 5 seasons of the show were the best. The show took a fall in it's 6th season when Richard Thomas left the series and was replaced by another actor (!). I still enjoy watching the later seasons though, due to the fact that the timeline progressed from the Great Depression into the War years (WW2).

The episodes haven't been cleaned up much but I can say that they look better than they did when they were originally broadcast. There has also been no extras of any kind on the first 3 season releases.

It would have been good to hear commentaries from the cast considering that they're all still living except for Will Geer and Ellen Corby (Grandma and Grandpa) but I'm just thankful that the episodes are uncut and that Warner has stuck with giving us this series. It's always been a staple in our home. I like to see good, family type shows released and these episodes are just as entertaining as they were 34 years ago. :)

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I agree Brett. It is sad to think that shows of this calibre may never be produced again, especially those in which the family unit is as intact as The Waltons, despite conflicts over various issues.

Roger_S

Stunt Coordinator
Actually, as I recall they went a couple of seasons without John-Boy in the show at all before they brought him back in the form of another actor. Maybe they figured by then people would've forgotten what John-Boy looked like? I can't even remember the name of the second actor to play the role now...

Brett*H

Stunt Coordinator
You're right, Roger. Richard Thomas appeared as a "special guest star" in only a few episodes in the 6th season. I don't think he appeared at all during the 7th season as John-Boy.

The character of John-Boy re-appeared during the 8th season with Robert Wightman taking over the role.

I don't know how the show's producers thought they were going to get away with that one. They could have at least tried to explain it away as John-Boy having an accident or something which forced him to undergo plastic surgery.:D

Rob P S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
rob
S4 contains the fire episode, which has always creeped me out.

Yeah he came back to town and reopened the mine and caused a cave-in!

The last episode of S6 is a gem when Grandma returns from the hospital and reunites with Grandpa (which was also the last scene with Ellen Corby and Will Geer). The show should have ended there.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks