Walt Disney Treasures - Wave 6 Speculation & Discussion

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Steven Wesley, Feb 21, 2006.

1. Steven Wesley

Steven Wesley Second Unit

Steve
    UltimateDisney.com reports the following via forum member Bill Cotter (author of The Wonderful World of Disney Television: A Complete History). From UD's homepage:Link to forum post

2. ZackR

ZackR Supporting Actor

Interesting. Hopefully they will correct the quality control issues of this last wave. I was hoping they would include Song of the South as a Treasure. Maybe 2006 being the 60th Anniversary will be enough to spur a release of some sort. Still, I will definitely pick these sets up. I am a "classic" Disney junkie. I am especially looking forward to "Symphonies" and "Pluto."

3. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    i was hopinmg for song of the south as part of this.

has this been mentioned at all.

4. Chris S

Chris S Cinematographer

Chris S
    I am really hoping we would get an "Oswald the Lucky Rabbit" Treasures DVD in the next release seeing as how Disney just got back the rights to the original cartoons. Then again if it takes another year for them to get the elements fully restored I'm more than happy to wait.

5. DavidPla

DavidPla Cinematographer

Hopefully they'll release Volume 3 of Donald Duck to complete that set.

6. Kevin Martinez

Kevin Martinez Second Unit

Unless Disney restores and remasters the Silly Symhponies and Pluto sets (unlike last year's Donald and Rarirites fiasco), i won't be bothering with Wave 6

7. PaulP

PaulP Producer

Awesome news on the second and final volume of Silly Symphonies, at last! The first volume was in the first wave. Will be also picking up the second Pluto. The other two appear to be again live-action. And I agree with Chris, I thought instantly about Treasures when I read the news of Disney getting back their rights to all the Oswald shorts. Maybe in the next wave.

8. Lars Vermundsberget

Lars Vermundsberget Supporting Actor

We should NOT expect an (exclusive) Oswald Treasure, since most of the Disney Oswalds apparently no longer exist. The handful that is available, however, could be included in a second "Rarities" volume. That volume also should complete the classic theatrical animated shorts, except DD.

I don't remember the exact numbers, but I think we'd need two more Donald Duck volumes.

9. PaulP

PaulP Producer

I think there's still enough stuff for two more Rarities sets. What about the modern shorts? I think these could be also included on a Treasure, as they wouldn't be released otherwise, I don't think.

10. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    I heard somewhere that Universal already restored the Oswald cartoons. They've done a good job of preserving their films.

11. Lars Vermundsberget

The post-Disney Oswald shorts would have no place in the Walt Disney Treasures, in my opinion.

As for the "modern shorts", how many are there? We're still missing "Susie, the little blue coupe", "Casey bats again", three Figaro shorts and three C&D shorts. It appears that only about seven, or no more than about twelve (Disney) Oswald shorts are available. Add the "modern shorts" and a few more Alice comedies - would that really take more than one set?

Dig into "public information", instructional and commercial material made by Disney, and there are, of course, "countless" more "rarities" in the vaults.

12. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Cinematographer

Wasn't that a great story? Looks like Iger may turn out to be better than most people have thought.

I also immediately thought of a Treasures set after reading it.

13. Adam_S

Adam_S Producer

Adam_S
    sigh, no Donald Volume 3, it really stinks they're doing Donald every other year rather than every year. Of course they should have only done one set of Pluto, but oh well.

Adam

14. Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick Producer

As mentioned Disney only has 7 Oswald shorts. There are believed to be about 12 others in various states, some complete some not, all in the hands of private collectors and many of those only on 16 mm prints. So I think a Oswald treasures is not a possibility unless there are enough that would want to pay for a tin with just 7 shorts on it.

Universal did restore later Oswald cartoons done by Walter Lantz and a few of the Disney's were included in those however they were rescored with new sound effects and different music tracks. They also would have new opening credits.

15. Ryan Wishton

Ryan Wishton Screenwriter

You know what I would love to see?

A Halloween treasury set containing all the short halloween specials (like Sleepy Hallow) as well as all the Halloween themed shorts (Donald's Bad Day, Trick or Treat, Lonesome Ghosts, etc.)

Shame about no Donald. I was looking forward to it.

16. Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman Cinematographer

I still think Disney is doing a much poorer job in QC with these classic shorts than Warner did with their Looney Tunes sets.

Many of these DVD's do not have restored picture and sound (and with their original title cards). They are AS important as Bambi, Sleeping Beauty, Cinderella, Lady and the Tramp, etc., but they're treated like bastard step children in comparison. Maltin should be ashamed!

Why aren't the Disney archivists doing 4k scans of the original negatives (or the best elements left) and fully restoring these gems to spit-spot condition and in their OAR?

Also, a few of these titles need to be in their uncensored form!

I was hoping Saludos Amigos and The Three Caballeros would get fully restored and uncensored treatments on one of these waves so I could retire my laserdiscs (the current DVD's are censored).

17. David_Blackwell

David_Blackwell Screenwriter

I just want to see more Elfego Baca and Swamp Fox on DVD.

18. Lars Vermundsberget

Such a thing as a "Halloween Treasure" would require a lot of "double-dipping"... So that's not what I'd ask for. I want the "classic theatrical animated shorts" completed with not-too-much double-dipping.

Disney pretty much goofed up the quality of the two 2005 cartoon Treasures, but I've been under the impression that the previous sets were quite good. I also thought "we" had agreed that Leonard Maltin is not the one to blame for the 2005 Treasures...

19. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

I agree, save for this past year's animated releases, these have been the benchmark for classic animation on DVD. The previous sets were perfect in almost every possible way and I don't think that such extensive restoration is needed for these films, they were preserved very well over the years. What IS needed, is proper transfer of the films and an efficient remastering job. They do not need the kind of work done on the Warner Bros. films because the prints have not reached the quality that the WB shorts have. They have been really well maintained. And save for the 2005 releases, there have been no examples of Digital Video Noise Reduction or excessive filtering or difgital effects in any of Disney's clean up work that went into transfering the cartoons for the Treasure sets. I think they've been perfectly handled. Disney just got sloppy unfortunately, with the latest releases. It would be nice to see a FULL return to form by bringing back the standards they'd previously set not only in the video department but packaging and presentation on a whole. I was also less impressed with the choice of live action titles in the latest wave, and the extras left much to be desired when comparing with previous sets. But I'm excited for the next SS and final Pluto series. I'm also very enthusiastic about the "Your Host, Walt Disney" rumor, and hope that one of my all-time favorite Disneyland episodes, similarly titled, "Your Host, Donald Duck" which features lots of wonderful early live-action / animation crossover with Walt and Donald and company, is included as well! I'm sure with all the negative feedback the company received with it's latest waved, they will put in much more of an effort with future titles. I'm sure Leonartd would do his best to enforce this as well!

20. Paul Hillenbrand

Paul Hillenbrand Screenwriter

Paul Hillenbrand
    Quoting Kevin Martinez:
    Same here Kevin. I voted with my wallet, not to purchase the wave 5 fiasco. A first, for an avid collector such as myself. It hurt, to see Disney lower their standards with the quality of the 5th wave “Treasure” series. Still, I will monitor the reviews if they bounce back.

Paul