What's new

Walt Disney Treasures Wave 10 - Any news yet? (1 Viewer)

ChrisALM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
Has anybody heard anything about Walt Disney Treasures Wave 10. If they do another November release, shouldn't we have heard something by now? Or did I miss something?

ChrisALM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
Originally Posted by TravisR
I could be wrong but I thought that the word was that there wasn't going to be a Treasures wave this year. Once again, I could be totally wrong about that.
I haven't heard anything about a Wave 10. I noticed over at the Ultimate Disney website that there will be three documentaries released in November. After reading about their content, it caused me to get concerned about the Treasures series.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
My understanding was that the last release would be the final Disney Treasures set. Of course if sales of Zorro exceeded Disney's expectations, its possible you will see future sets.

Doug

Traveling Matt

Supporting Actor
Originally Posted by ChrisALM
I noticed over at the Ultimate Disney website that there will be three documentaries released in November.
These three documentaries (one on the Sherman Brothers, one on Walt's South American trips and one on the Disney renaissance period) are reportedly supposed to act as this year's wave of Treasures. It seems they'll be coming on November 30.

Hopefully Disney will find a way to return to unreleased classic animation and Walt-era live action catalog material with future waves. There's plenty more to go.

MattPeriolat

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matthew
The last thing I heard from UltimateDisney.com message boards was that the Treasures were history, which is a shame because Disney has a TON of material still in the vaults, but seem to have real issues getting it out. Beats me as to why.

And it's really too bad because I bought the Treasures every set every year like clockwork.

ChrisALM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
Traveling Matt said:
/forum/thread/301779/walt-disney-treasures-wave-10-any-news-yet#post_3704780
And it's really too bad because I bought the Treasures every set every year like clockwork.
Same here, I have every Treasures set they released.

MattPeriolat

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matthew

Yes, there is plenty left to go. For starters, the anthology series. I would purchase every season set up through at least the mid 70's.

Same here, I have every Treasures set they released.
Well, the Treasures were releasing some episodes of the anthology series and technically the True-Life Adventures were also aired as part of the anthology. You really want to split hairs, some of the original cartoons also saw airtime during the Mickey Mouse Club.

Truth is, Disney has so much material that maybe it's a good thing they at on some until Blu-Ray came along. Now they can get more material onto fewer discs... IF they actually want to release it.

ChrisALM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
Originally Posted by MattPeriolat

Well, the Treasures were releasing some episodes of the anthology series and technically the True-Life Adventures were also aired as part of the anthology. You really want to split hairs, some of the original cartoons also saw airtime during the Mickey Mouse Club.

Truth is, Disney has so much material that maybe it's a good thing they at on some until Blu-Ray came along. Now they can get more material onto fewer discs... IF they actually want to release it.
The Treasures did have some anthology series releases, like Davy Crockett, which I believe was complete, and Swamp Fox and Elfego Baca, which were not complete, as well as some others. And the Legacy Collection took care of the True Life Adventures which also ran on the anthology series.

There were also Theatrical movies that ran on the anthology series, broken into two or three parters. Cartoon shorts were also shown, sometimes with quite a bit of new bridging material.

Yes, there is some amount of overlap in the anthology series, but there is still more than enough unreleased material remaining for me to purchase season sets. Plus, there was that special touch that Walt Disney added to each show that was immeasurable.

I think you raise the most important question, does Disney even care about releasing it.

To me the Treasures series is/was a great avenue for releasing the anthology series, like they did last year with Zorro. If the Treasures series is truly over, I am very disappointed.

MattPeriolat

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matthew
The Treasures did have some anthology series releases, like Davy Crockett, which I believe was complete, and Swamp Fox and Elfego Baca, which were not complete, as well as some others. And the Legacy Collection took care of the True Life Adventures which also ran on the anthology series.

There were also Theatrical movies that ran on the anthology series, broken into two or three parters. Cartoon shorts were also shown, sometimes with quite a bit of new bridging material.

Yes, there is some amount of overlap in the anthology series, but there is still more than enough unreleased material remaining for me to purchase season sets. Plus, there was that special touch that Walt Disney added to each show that was immeasurable.

I think you raise the most important question, does Disney even care about releasing it.

To me the Treasures series is/was a great avenue for releasing the anthology series, like they did last year with Zorro. If the Treasures series is truly over, I am very disappointed.
Somewhere on my hard drive, I have a list of all the shows that Disney released, either as part of the anthology series or in their original format. Truth is, even with the movies that were on the anthology show, would it hurt to include Walt's bumpers introing the show or advertising next week's show?

I'll go digging in my files and see what I can come up with. There will be a brief intermission.

ChrisALM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
I have an incomplete hard copy list of the anthology series shows. Last winter I transferred my existing VHS tapes of the series to DVD. I was surprised to see how many shows I had when I cross checked the list with material from the Treasures sets, the Legacy Collection, Disney Movies and my VHS tapes. Of course, the majority of this total is from my VHS tapes, so an official Disney DVD release would be most welcome. And the total of what I have is a small portion of the entire anthology series run.

I sure wish I would have taped everything back when the Disney Channel was running the Vault Disney stuff.

MattPeriolat

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matthew
I have an incomplete hard copy list of the anthology series shows. Last winter I transferred my existing VHS tapes of the series to DVD. I was surprised to see how many shows I had when I cross checked the list with material from the Treasures sets, the Legacy Collection, Disney Movies and my VHS tapes. Of course, the majority of this total is from my VHS tapes, so an official Disney DVD release would be most welcome. And the total of what I have is a small portion of the entire anthology series run.

I sure wish I would have taped everything back when the Disney Channel was running the Vault Disney stuff.
Ditto. I got a pretty fair chunk of material, but I know I didn't get everything off Vault Disney. Shame, Disney is more interested in Lizzie Maguire and Hannah Montana now than their roots.

If you want a record of what Disney did on television, you'd need to hunt down an out of print book by Bill Cotter on Disney television. It is truly an impressive tome and one wishes more television shows had such record keeping. I use it as my bible when doing anything concerning Disney television. You might want to check his website to see if a copy can be found, plus he used to do a CD disk with pdfs of material that got cut from the book. I'm actually going through the book and the CD and my own lists for a later post, but recommend you check it out in case you want to do research on your own.

ChrisALM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
Shame, Disney is more interested in Lizzie Maguire and Hannah Montana now than their roots.

If you want a record of what Disney did on television, you'd need to hunt down an out of print book by Bill Cotter on Disney television. It is truly an impressive tome and one wishes more television shows had such record keeping. I use it as my bible when doing anything concerning Disney television. You might want to check his website to see if a copy can be found, plus he used to do a CD disk with pdfs of material that got cut from the book. I'm actually going through the book and the CD and my own lists for a later post, but recommend you check it out in case you want to do research on your own.

Totally agree about HM. I don't recall ever seeing/hearing about LM, which probably means I totally agree. /img/vbsmilies/htf/smiley_wink.gif

I have never heard of the Bill Cotter book. I will be checking it out first chance I get. Thanks, Matt, for the info.

MattPeriolat

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matthew
Oh, no trouble. Called The Wonderful World of Disney Television by Bill Cotter, last published in 1997 by Hyperion. It covers everything, and I do mean EVERYTHING, Disney did for TV from their first specials all the way out to the stuff run on the Disney Channel. Cotter even listed the repeat dates of individual episodes and specials. Like I said, all TV tomes should be this comprehensive.

Scamp

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jason
Oh, no trouble. Called The Wonderful World of Disney Television by Bill Cotter, last published in 1997 by Hyperion. It covers everything, and I do mean EVERYTHING, Disney did for TV from their first specials all the way out to the stuff run on the Disney Channel. Cotter even listed the repeat dates of individual episodes and specials. Like I said, all TV tomes should be this comprehensive.
Totally agree: great reference book! Ran across a copy at Half-Price Books around a year ago for $7 and had to have it.

ChrisALM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
I just purchased a used copy from Amazon. I am looking forward to getting this book.

MattPeriolat

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matthew
I just purchased a used copy from Amazon. I am looking forward to getting this book.
:) Excellent. Also, check out Cotter's site to see if you can still get the PDF. If not... well... PM me.

ChrisALM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
I checked out the Cotter site and I do not see any reference to a pdf. They do have a CD available for sale containing extra appendices to the original book. I'll have to wait to receive the book to determine exactly how important the CD is.

MattPeriolat

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matthew
I checked out the Cotter site and I do not see any reference to a pdf. They do have a CD available for sale containing extra appendices to the original book. I'll have to wait to receive the book to determine exactly how important the CD is.
CD is what I was talking about and it's fairly significant, but I'll leave it to you to make the call for yourself since it is still being offered.

Oh, and before I forget, some, not all but some, of what was offered on Disney's anthology series is being sold through the Disney Movie Club, their in-house version of Columbia House. More and more is gradually being released to the direct market, but just so you have all your bases covered, there you go.

ChrisALM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
Oh, and before I forget, some, not all but some, of what was offered on Disney's anthology series is being sold through the Disney Movie Club, their in-house version of Columbia House. More and more is gradually being released to the direct market, but just so you have all your bases covered, there you go.
I have seen that. But are these restored and are they the movie versions or the Disney anthology TV show versions. The website provides very little info on what you actually are getting.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks