Walt Disney Treasures: The Complete Goofy

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by BrettB, Jan 30, 2003.

1. BrettB

BrettB Producer

Just got this yesterday and started watching it last night. I've only watched about 10 or so of the shorts so far but it seems to be every bit as good as the others.

I absolutely love the WDT series. It's really amazing to watch these in chronological order and witness how quickly the animators advanced their artform.

One minor mistake I noticed on a menu: On Disc 1, Chrono. Menu 3 of 4, the date for How To Play Football is listed as 1942 but it should be 1944 as far as I can tell.

Also, one of the shorts I watched last night was Victory Vehicles. It seems like this would have been right at home on the Wartime set we're all hoping for. I'm not real familiar with the "Wartime" shorts so I'm assuming they probably feature multiple characters so it made more sense to put VV on this Goofy set?

Edit: "Menu 3 of 4"

2. Lars Vermundsberget

Lars Vermundsberget Supporting Actor

I agree, I'm sure there is a mistake with that one year.

About the wartime cartoons: I'm not sure whether or not we can know in advance exactly which particular shorts are supposed to fit into that category.

3. Dave Koch

Dave Koch Stunt Coordinator

Yep- How To Play Foottball is 1944...

And, while Victory Vehicles may have a wartime theme, it was, in fact, released as a Goofy short, not as a generic short as the Wartime shorts were... so it properly belongs on the set!

4. Lars Vermundsberget

What do you mean by "generic short"? Sure, you've got "Education For Death", "Chicken Little" and some more that fit into that category, but the famous "Der Fuehrer's Face" is a DD title, and there are probably a few more DD titles as well that likely could be included.

Further there are a number of non-theatrical or government-paid shorts with Disney characters and even more army-instruction shorts. Even though I really know nothing of the contents, I'm certainly looking forward to this.

5. Dave Koch

Lars:

6. Jeff Jacobson

Jeff Jacobson Cinematographer

7. Dave Koch

Jeff:

Thanks- I was not sure. I have the disks, but they were at home (and I was not!) when I wrote that!

8. Lars Vermundsberget

All right, Dave - maybe I shouldn't have asked the question that way. I understood pretty well what you meant by "generic short".

However, "Der Fuehrer's Face" seems to be the most sought-after war-related title and everyone expects it to be included in a forthcoming "Wartime" set. This fact does not suggest that only "generic" titles should be included. That was my point.

Another DD title that is considered "controversial" is "Commando Duck". A few more war-themed DD shorts have been quite easily available on home video earlier (Limited Gold Edition II - "An Officer And A Duck").

Quote:

"Disney did not have a "Wartime" series. However, most people do differenciate the shorts Disney did specifically for the Armed Forces as a series... but these are shorts about how to load a 135mm cannon, and what to do if a tank rolls over yours house. None of the shorts you mentioned fit into this Pseudo-Series, as they were not underwritten by and produced for a branch of the armed forces."

Any idea if (any of) these armed forces films will be included? I don't mean to suggest that they won't and shouldn't. They should. I'm just saying that I've never really seen any real info on what the contents of this set are going to be.

Then there are the "propaganda" titles, like "Thrifty Pig", "The Seven Wise Dwarfs", "Donald's Decision", "All Together", "The New Spirit" and "The Spirit Of '43".

9. Dave Koch

Hi Lars!

10. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

For myself, I don't care if Der Fuehrer's Face shows up in a wartime box or a Donald Duck box, as long as it shows up!

11. Andy_S

Andy_S Second Unit

Has anyone found any easter eggs on the Goofy set? I've been looking but haven't found any. Seems like a lot of the Treasures sets have easter eggs hidden somewhere.

12. Dave Koch